Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

If Gerrard is our new man I will stop talking shite for once and give him my full backing. I hope that he brings in a few with a point to prove and prove it by putting the tarrers back in their place

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get too excited about him, hope I'm wrong, it just seems like the worst time ever to take a chance on another guy with no top level managerial experience, sure he was a wonderful player and has a lot of contacts in the game and will be good for PR, but this is a crucial time for Rangers,  anyway  I wish him every success if  he is indeed our new Manager.

1 minute ago, Loyaleastend said:

I can't get too excited about him, hope I'm wrong, it just seems like the worst time ever to take a chance on another guy with no top level managerial experience, sure he was a wonderful player and has a lot of contacts in the game and will be good for PR, but this is a crucial time for Rangers,  anyway  I wish him every success if  he is indeed our new Manager.

He's already got UK football exposed to Rangers.

He's done his pro license and has learned from some good managers over a long career. 

I agree this could be absolutely spectacular or a brutal mess, but there's no doubt I'm excited by the huge potential here.

Just now, Walter-of-Smith said:

He's already got UK football exposed to Rangers.

He's done his pro license and has learned from some good managers over a long career. 

I agree this could be absolutely spectacular or a brutal mess, but there's no doubt I'm excited by the huge potential here.

If it had been at another time when we had enjoyed some success I'd have been very up for it, but like I said, we simply can't afford another  car crash couple of seasons.  Anyway, fuck me, good luck to him if we get him.

So, there's a "Gerrard agrees terms" - unconfirmed thread and this "Gerrard New Manager confirmed" should also be unconfirmed.

are we saying something's done because The Mirror or Daily Record did?

Folk with thousands of forum reputation and reciting the red top's finest fake news.

Lets see what happens at lunchtime - we'll look a bit silly if we're back to square one.

8 minutes ago, RosscoRFC87 said:

So, there's a "Gerrard agrees terms" - unconfirmed thread and this "Gerrard New Manager confirmed" should also be unconfirmed.

are we saying something's done because The Mirror or Daily Record did?

Folk with thousands of forum reputation and reciting the red top's finest fake news.

Lets see what happens at lunchtime - we'll look a bit silly if we're back to square one.

Makes no sense.

In fact I'm going to book mark this comment for when it happens and then go back and ask you if you feel silly talking shite about "folks with thousands of forum reputation reciting fake news" ... you are exactly the type of person I was talking about late last night/this morning ... can't debate fuck-all without someone piping in with "aw it must be true if it's in the papers eh" ..honestly just fuck-up, it's happening, some media outlets get wind of it - it happens. Not everything is designed to take us on a rollercoaster tour of emotions or trolling us on purpose when they have professional reputations at stake - it's tiresome as fuck and aye I know they get it wrong at times too. 

and yes I also know the media are cunts and no friends of Rangers either - got to get that in before someone says it.

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

John Barnes was a naive and arrogant , his first revolutionary formation was 4-2-2-2 ?, you can only wonder why no one else thought of that.

How John Barnes ever got that job in the first place I’ll never know. Guy was a brilliant player but whenever I’ve heard him even talk about the game (let alone coach it) he’s sounded like my bird trying to explain the offside rule with salt and pepper shakers. 

The huge difference here is that the vast majority of respected current/ex managers/players who have commented on this have said Gerrard has the knowledge and temperament. 

58 minutes ago, Loyaleastend said:

If it had been at another time when we had enjoyed some success I'd have been very up for it, but like I said, we simply can't afford another  car crash couple of seasons.  Anyway, fuck me, good luck to him if we get him.

Every single candidate comes with a risk. If we look at some of the names mentioned..

Dyche - less money to spend on players because of comps and buy outs

Warnock - Perhaps over the hill and a headcase, Scottish Media would lambast him like they did Pedro

The bottler - it’s in his name 

Pardew - Ego

Yes Gerrard is inexperienced as a manager but I’d argue he’s done more in the game than all of those put together, every cloud! 

Let’s see what’s announced tomorrow though but would be great to see Gerrard and a big wheelbarrow full of cash :)

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Don't know the truth of it (if any) but the rumour is him and Rogers haven't spoke to each other for 3-years. They both blame each other for Liverpool not winning the league that year.

Usual group chat rumour tho.

Brenda was talking him up In the media about coming to the mhanks before he went to Galaxy was he not?

4 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Brenda was talking him up In the media about coming to the mhanks before he went to Galaxy was he not?

Never seen it but wouldn't surprise me. I hate these group chat rumours - 9/10 they are a load of shite anyway, wouldn't be surprised if this was bollox.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Never seen it but wouldn't surprise me. I hate these group chat rumours - 9/10 they are a load of shite anyway, wouldn't be surprised if this was bollox.

Just doing a bit of reading there. Seems they weren’t on the best of terms when Gerrard left but doesn’t look like they fell out big time. One thing we can be sure of is Gerrard will know exactly how to push Brenda’s buttons! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/steven-gerrard-reveals-brendan-rodgers-decision-to-use-him-as-a-squad-player-convinced-him-to-leave-10244859.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steven-gerrard-brendan-rodgers-over-6513263

Archived