Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

More than one of the media outlets are now using the terminology "on a shortlist" rather than "in talks now". Wouldn't have thought much of it if it was just one source but seems odd about 3 of them have now started saying he's on a shortlist rather than saying he's in talks. 

They just copy each other and gamble on which stories are correct.

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

being a good player doesn't translate to being a good manager, "having a winning mentality" at liverpool meant winning a few cups here and there - if he became the manager here, he would be expected to win every game and be able to inspire the players to do the same - huge, huge gamble, shows the board for the incompetents they are if this is what we are being left with

Winning mentality isn’t just trophies,you don’t get to the level he got to without having a winning mentality.

you surely can’t say Gerrard hasn’t got a winning mentality?

i never said being a good player means your become a good manager I will merely stating Gerrard has a winning mentality when he was a player 

22 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Haven't been able to read the whole thread. Can't see this mentioned. At first I'm thinking....no way. Not a good idea at all. No managerial experience. Then it hits me.

Souness. There's quite a few similarities between the two when you think about it. Only difference is that English clubs are able to play in Europe. 

That is the big difference though after the scousers rampaged we could sign all these top players who played in England because they wanted to play in europe and there was not great differnce between English and Scottish football anyway.

Gerrard is no fucking Souness, where is the hard man image coming from?

I don't know anyone down here who thinks he is a hard man.

Anyone who thinks this is going to end well if we give him the job is fucking mental at least my blood pressure will drop as this will be the final nail anyway.

23 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

No no no. The more I think of it the worse it gets. 

It seemed like yesterday Gerrard was winning trophies almost by himself for Liverpool. I just can't envisage him wearing the club suit and tie and managing an Old Firm match.

No it didn’t 

is it not just possibly a case of SG has applied , as hopefully others have also, and has been shortlisted as the press are now saying, and is going through the interview process, which King may be handling personally this time?

Killing 2 birds with one stone by doing it at Anfield while also watching his beloved Liverpool....

Still does not mean he will get the gig..

16 minutes ago, Laudrup1690 said:

Winning mentality isn’t just trophies,you don’t get to the level he got to without having a winning mentality.

you surely can’t say Gerrard hasn’t got a winning mentality?

i never said being a good player means your become a good manager I will merely stating Gerrard has a winning mentality when he was a player 

what i'm saying, and what you seem to agree with, is that his playing career has zero relevance to how good a manager he is - being a manager isn't about your own mentality it's about being able to instil that in your group of players, you could have been a shite player but be great at motivating players to go out and carryout your instructions.

when warburton came, all we heard about was how successful he was as a broker, meant fuckall when the players turned into shitebags and didn't perform and he couldn't do anything to change it because of a lack of experience in dealing with other peoples mentalities 

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

the biggest issue for me is the complete lack of any knowledge of Scottish football. We have seen from MW and from the views of the likes of Joey Barton that the English very much view it that ex EPL pros or English 1st division players will come up here and stroll it - so they tend to look to that market. That is never the case, because while the standard isn't great, it's a competitive league - and importantly, it's a better standard than the English give it credit for.

Additionally, as others have stated, this smacks very much of the Gary Neville debacle: a retired pro working as a pundit thinks that in order to be taken seriously as a pundit he cant turn down a decent managerial appointment when it comes along. But there's no real buy in - because when it all goes pear shaped, Neville shrugged his shoulders jacked it and went back to Sky.

This appointment fills me with dread.

That's my biggest worry if Mark Allen is in charge of transfers. There's not even been a hint of him looking anywhere else but England.

10 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If this clown gets announced next week I'm not renewing, stick that right up your arse. 

Fuck that mate you still support the 11 whether it’s mike Ashley king or any manager in charge.

dont let that shit influence having a ticket

Archived