Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

5 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Pedro said he was the right man for the job, Murty said in a press conference he wanted the job, warburton was a shit show.

Gerrard does not deserve the job he said done nothing to earn it.

Who has that we can afford thats no a taig  a shitbag or both 

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until 2012 the permanent managers were Greig(N/F), Wallace(E/F), Souness(N/S), Smith(N/S), Advocaat(E/S), McLeish(E/S), Le Guen(E/F), Smith(E/S)

N=no senior managerial experience

E=experienced senior manager

F=failure

S=success

3 out of 5 experienced managers were a success (60%)

2 out of 3 novice managers were a success (66%)

Looks like it is a risk no matter who you take on.

Just now, westenclosure2008 said:

I agree and like any appointment it’s always a risk. I was simply pointing out that there are successful managers that have hit the ground running without any hands on experience. In footballing terms you will struggle to find anyone with his level of experience. It’s a gamble but more of an appealing gamble than Pedro was or Potter would be.

Saying that I still have my doubts it will even happen. We couldn’t entice Derek McInnes 6 months ago ffs. It would be a huge gamble and challenge for Gerrard. If he failed to deliver his managerial career could be over before it started. The safe option for him would be a club and fans with lower expectations.

Any appointment is going to be a risk and my hope which will probably not be released is that the board have a vision for the club and they are not just hoping that a new manager will make everything all right. It also depends what you mean by experience as someone who has played in a number of leagues at a relatively high level could be considered to have more experience than Gerrard. Pedro was a crazy gamble which one day I would like to know why something thought...he is the answer. Potter I would take over Gerrard however I don't think he would cut it here as very quickly the parochial press would be all over some of the stuff he has done before. Guys like Barry would be saying after a defeat that this is not what is needed despite him failing miserably in management and Potter getting into Europe punching above their weight with his team.

I hope it does'nt happen as there is a risk that it could go horribly wrong......the landscape has changed since Souness came

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

Well you can't win on here because Warnock was linked a few years back on here and just got slated. Yet he manages at a higher level than the Scottish league.  

I can't speak for everyone on the forum but, if given a choice between Warnock and Gerrard, I'd certainly prefer the former. I don't think it's possible to overstate this: Gerrard has never managed a senior team. 

2 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

Up until 2012 the permanent managers were Greig(N/F), Wallace(E/F), Souness(N/S), Smith(N/S), Advocaat(E/S), McLeish(E/S), Le Guen(E/F), Smith(E/S)

N=no senior managerial experience

E=experienced senior manager

F=failure

S=success

3 out of 5 experienced managers were a success (60%)

2 out of 3 novice managers were a success (66%)

Looks like it is a risk no matter who you take on.

Jock Wallace a failure? 

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I can't speak for everyone on the forum but, if given a choice between Warnock and Gerrard, I'd certainly prefer the former. I don't think it's possible to overstate this: Gerrard has never managed a senior team. 

Neither did Guardiola....:bow:

if it is true that he is seeking financial assurances then we can safely assume that he will not be our manager, as this board can provide absolutely fuck all in the way of financial assurances owing to the fact that they are absolutely fuckin rooked. 

2 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Any appointment is going to be a risk and my hope which will probably not be released is that the board have a vision for the club and they are not just hoping that a new manager will make everything all right. It also depends what you mean by experience as someone who has played in a number of leagues at a relatively high level could be considered to have more experience than Gerrard. Pedro was a crazy gamble which one day I would like to know why something thought...he is the answer. Potter I would take over Gerrard however I don't think he would cut it here as very quickly the parochial press would be all over some of the stuff he has done before. Guys like Barry would be saying after a defeat that this is not what is needed despite him failing miserably in management and Potter getting into Europe punching above their weight with his team.

I hope it does'nt happen as there is a risk that it could go horribly wrong......the landscape has changed since Souness came

You make a good point about the media. The wee weasels would be so far up Gerrard’s arse because of his stature we might even get some balanced reporting.

Just now, KingKirk said:

:lol: I understand the worry but I think it could work. We are due a break put it that way

Nah no offence you're talking yourself round to this idea based on the guys playing career and the fact that we're due a decent manager.

2 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Even if Gerrard turns out to be a good appointment, it gives me the fear that his first games in charge will be the Europa League qualifiers after only being here a few weeks.

As long as we dont get they Luxembourg/Germans again well be fine 

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

Neither did Guardiola....:bow:

He had a year within the club managing Barcelona B who do actually play in a full-time, professional league. If such a system existed here and Gerrard had gotten a Rangers Colts team promoted, I probably would be in favour of it. 

19 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

You have to be obsessed,' he said. 'Even though they're your team-mates, you've got to be obsessed to move them out of the way, and once you're in, they're staying out of the way and not coming back.

'I love talent and I love seeing it, but the important thing is they need to understand the other side of the game.

'Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burn, really digging deep.

'The end of games when young kids want to give up, you can’t do that at Premier League level or Champions League level so, for me, just as important as talent is the other side of the game.'

Like that chat though.

Archived