Return of Pena

Surely if he has issues the club should be establishing that and letting us know what they're doing about it? I have sympathy if he does, and it would be our major fuck up for taking him on if that's the case.

Otherwise he needs sacking and kept as far from the club as possible until he is sacked.

He's essentially a £6 million Board mistake whatever way it goes. The signs were there before we bought him.

Just now, Inigo said:

Surely if he has issues the club should be establishing that and letting us know what they're doing about it? I have sympathy if he does, and it would be our major fuck up for taking him on if that's the case.

Otherwise he needs sacking and kept as far from the club as possible until he is sacked.

He's essentially a £6 million Board mistake whatever way it goes. The signs were there before we bought him.

He needs no sympathy. 

Hes an alcoholic and his contract should be cut. His ma may well have died recently but she certainly hasn’t been dying repeatedly for over a year 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He needs no sympathy. 

Hes an alcoholic and his contract should be cut. His ma may well have died recently but she certainly hasn’t been dying repeatedly for over a year 

Scotland doesn't care about him, he can afford to be an alcoholic.

Just now, j1mgg said:

Scotland doesn't care about him, he can afford to be an alcoholic.

I understand alcoholism is an illness but I don’t think we as a club should be tolerating it from our players. He needs to want professional help and I can see nothing that suggests he does.

We’re wasting time and money on someone that will amount to nothing for us. Get rid 

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He needs no sympathy. 

I've known alcoholics and he'll have my sympathy IF he is one.

If he is one I'd hazard that we can't just sack him anyway. Will he be subject to some kind of employment laws? I'd guess so but maybe others will know better.

34 minutes ago, Inigo said:

If he is one I'd hazard that we can't just sack him anyway. Will he be subject to some kind of employment laws? I'd guess so but maybe others will know better.

I think it’s a fairly grey area. Obviously you can’t sack him for being an alcoholic, but I think you could sack him for pissing in a fountain. I’m not sure where you draw the line between the condition and personal responsibility.

Say someone works in a shop, and has bipolar. Obviously you can’t sack them for being bipolar, but if their condition causes them to repeatedly threaten violence against customers, then surely you could get rid. The law can’t just say “he’s got a condition, therefore he can do what he likes and you have to continue employing him”.

1 minute ago, Ger_onimo said:

Again though, I’m really not convinced he is an alcoholic. He’s passed 2 medicals in the last year - surely something would have shown up?

Yeah, true.

5 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

I think it’s a fairly grey area. Obviously you can’t sack him for being an alcoholic, but I think you could sack him for pissing in a fountain. I’m not sure where you draw the line between the condition and personal responsibility.

Say someone works in a shop, and has bipolar. Obviously you can’t sack them for being bipolar, but if their condition causes them to repeatedly threaten violence against customers, then surely you could get rid. The law can’t just say “he’s got a condition, therefore he can do what he likes and you have to continue employing him”.

I'd still guess, and it is a guess, that we'd have due welfare processes to go through. Not sure kissing in a fountain would be gross enough misconduct to merit avoiding that, especially given it's arguably linked to the condition.

That said, I doubt he is one as well.

He's no more an alcoholic than someone who likes a few bevvys and I'm sure we have had players in the past that drink just as much if not more. The fact he is foreign, came for a hefty fee and the media is want to keep the 'Rangers circus' theme running to sell papers is why it has been highlighted so much. He has a poor attitude and on way to much money which is his main problem. I would be looking to sort his attitude out rather than his drinking as if you sort that out he probably will put the bottle down to be in the best shape possible. Wether his attitude can be sorted out is the question. If i was stevie g I'd drag him back by the scruff of the neck and tell him you've signed for Rangers so you best get your arse in gear it's make or break time and show me your commited to the cause it not your careers over and you leave with your reputation in tatters.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I'd still guess, and it is a guess, that we'd have due welfare processes to go through. Not sure kissing in a fountain would be gross enough misconduct to merit avoiding that, especially given it's arguably linked to the condition.

That said, I doubt he is one as well.

No, probably not that alone to be fair.

Whatever happens, I’m certain that it will be handled in such a way that causes the club maximum financial cost and embarrassment.

Just now, Ger_onimo said:

No, probably not that alone to be fair.

Whatever happens, I’m certain that it will be handled in such a way that causes the club maximum financial cost and embarrassment.

Aye, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

I think as long as a company is seen to try and help then it could end up with contract termination if the employee doesn’t buckle up or do what is asked or recommended.

Also depends on his contract I guess.

Don’t know

2 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I think as long as a company is seen to try and help then it could end up with contract termination if the employee doesn’t buckle up or do what is asked or recommended.

Also depends on his contract I guess.

Don’t know

Yeah I'd have thought there would be some help we'd be obliged to give. Unless, as you say, we can somehow have circumvented that by terms in his contract.

Dunno man.

4 hours ago, Inigo said:

Scary when it’s put like that (6 million package over the entirety if we can’t move him on)