Who will Gerrard keep?

Amato

King has already said he doesn't think the squad are as bad as they are playing, and he thinks we might need another 5 or 6 players. No idea if Gerrard will share this view once he starts the job, but realistically there isn't going to be a whole new starting 11.

So who will make the grade? Who are the "flowers" and who are the "weeds"?

Tin hat on but for me Tavernier, Candeias and Morelos could still form part of the new first team. Alves has the ability to but would need to be surrounded by much better quality.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I think he will keep at least the following:-

Tav - unless a £5m bid comes in.

McCrorie

John

Jack

Dorrans

Docherty

Murphy

Windass

Candieas

Morelos - only if a silly money bid does not come in, which it shouldn't.

I think all the others will be surplus to requirements and will be able to go for next to nothing. Fod being the only one who I think will go for decent money.

I'd be surprised if we keep Windass given there's been some interest from England, I'd cash in for 1-2 million.

Is Dorrans a loan at the moment? If so I'd get shot of him.

Forgot about Rossiter, if anyone is gonna get him playing it's Gerrard, especially if his problems aren't physical.

18 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

McCrorie

John

Jack

Dorrans

Docherty

Murphy

Windass

Candieas

I think all the others will be surplus to requirements and will be able to go for next to nothing. Fod being the only one who I think will go for decent money.

Agree with that but would definitely add Rossiter. I remember Gerrard at 19-20 having frequent injury problems. Hopefully he can build his mind and body to where it has to be. There is s very good player there - no doubt. 

Not really answering the question but Gerrard said everyone starts with a clean slate. 

I think the departures of contracted players will be minimal. 

There are enough loans and expiring contracts to make some space. Then I guess there will be players who are so far out of the picture that we will likely move them on. I don’t see the likes of Holt, Halliday or Alnwick moving this window. Maybe next. 

59 minutes ago, Amato said:

I'd be surprised if we keep Windass given there's been some interest from England, I'd cash in for 1-2 million.

Is Dorrans a loan at the moment? If so I'd get shot of him.

Forgot about Rossiter, if anyone is gonna get him playing it's Gerrard, especially if his problems aren't physical.

Was Windass not playing at his best when Ross Mc was in midfield? 

Wonder if that will be tried again...

I know it's not Rangers related but thought these comments from Butland at Stoke were quite refreshing with a bit of honesty from someone who seems to care and get it.

Relegated Stoke City need to look at their "farcical" transfer dealings before signing the players needed to mount a return to the Premier League, says goalkeeper Jack Butland.

The Potters dropped into the second tier Championship following a home defeat by Crystal Palace on Saturday.

England keeper Butland blamed "players you cannot rely on" being signed by the club.

"The whole recruitment process needs looking at, to be honest," he said.

Stoke too big to stay down - Lambert

Former Real Madrid forward Jese Rodriguez scored one goal in 13 appearances during his loan spell from Paris St-Germain and has takenunpaid compassionate leave for the remainder of his contract.

Forward Saido Berahino has started just 11 games since being signed from West Brom for £12m in January 2017 and has never scored for the club. He is now training with the under-23s, as is defender Kevin Wimmer, an £18m signing from Tottenham last summer.

Record signing Giannelli Imbula, a midfielder who cost £18.3m from Porto, has spent this season on loan at French side Toulouse.

Meanwhile, two former Barcelona forwards, Ibrahim Afellay and Bojan Krkic, have been frozen out at the Bet365 Stadium, with the latter spending this season on loan at La Liga side Alaves.

"There's been transfers that aren't even part of the squad for all kinds of reasons, whether it be discipline, whether it be lack of performance," Butland, 25, said.

"You've got to look at that - what decisions are being made and the type of characters."

He said midfielder Badou Ndiaye and defender Moritz Bauer, who joined in January, were "two positive signings".

"But you look at others and they're not even here to have an input. It's not because they were playing at the top of their game, because if they were they'd be here," he continued.

"Too many of the recent investments, and over the years, are completely unused and that's unacceptable. So before anyone is signed and any changes happen that's got to be looked at because it's been farcical really."

Mccrorie, Holt, Dorrans,  Jack, Rossiter,  Murphy. If it costs £10million then it'll be money well spent to end the rests contracts. We need rid of the dead wood. Promote some of the development players and get 6 1st team players in.

Assuming 4231, I think there’s only a handful of realistic starters for a league winning campaign. They could only be:

GK

Tav CB CB John

McCrorie CM

RM AM Murphy

CF 

Squad / backup players:

Fod, Candeias, Doherty, Holt, Jack, Dorrans, Windass, Morelos 

Assuming we bring in Arfield and McGregor, we still desperately need quality in CBx2, RM, AM, CF. 

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

McCrorie

John

Jack

Dorrans

Docherty

Murphy

Windass

Candieas

Pretty much agree with that to a man with maybe only Cummings as an additional. I think those players are people that will respond to Gerrard I I would hope he can get more out of them than we currently are. 

I wouldn’t be averse to keeping Alves around for certain games provided he were partnered by a faster CB who could cover in behind (albeit one with a brain so Cardoso won’t do). Wouldn’t let hi touch games against celtic/Hibs or any other attack built upon pace.