Who will Gerrard keep?

Amato

Any decent manager would be able to get more out this team.

Anyway, out of the current crop the only guys worth keeping are: Foderingham, Tavernier, John, Jack, Dorrans, Windass,  Halliday, Rossiter, Morelos, Candeias, Holt, Cummings (permanent deal), Murphy (permanent deal), McCrorie and Docherty. Even then there are guys in that list I would still take any decent money for or are just there to add a bit of depth. 

Youth players aside, everyone else should be written off and binned. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Assuming 4231, I think there’s only a handful of realistic starters for a league winning campaign. They could only be:

GK

Tav CB CB John

McCrorie CM

RM AM Murphy

CF 

Squad / backup players:

Fod, Candeias, Doherty, Holt, Jack, Dorrans, Windass, Morelos 

Assuming we bring in Arfield and McGregor, we still desperately need quality in CBx2, RM, AM, CF. 

If we keep tav and John expect many rapings at the back and McCrorie not strong enough for midfield yet either.

I’d be happy enough if he takes a scorched earth policy and just burns this squad to the ground.

I think Murphy and Candaies have something to offer going forward, Jack, McCrorie and Morelos have the potential to develop into very good players, the rest are all on shaky pegs.

2 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Not really answering the question but Gerrard said everyone starts with a clean slate. 

I think the departures of contracted players will be minimal. 

There are enough loans and expiring contracts to make some space. Then I guess there will be players who are so far out of the picture that we will likely move them on. I don’t see the likes of Holt, Halliday or Alnwick moving this window. Maybe next. 

This I think! The loans will to their respective clubs and that frees squad space for incomers - I expect Hardie to come back from Livingston ( had a great season there) to see if he can step up. 

4-5 players can easily come in and we still have many of this years squad. Center backs and a real central midfielder would be my priority.

12 minutes ago, Amato said:

I lost track amongst all the underwhelming signings

Easily done, not so much for their signings, but that one useless, past-it, loser Scottish midfielder looks like another when they get paid by Rangers...

I really hope he hasn't said that they're all getting a chance to prove themselves.

35 minutes ago, gmcf said:

A bit controversial this , but I think SG could find a player in Windass . Yes , I know :lol: 

I’ll be even more controversial and say I don’t think Windass is a bad player as such, just he doesn’t have the right mentality. When the going gets tough or the pressures on he disappears, but on his day he can be a decent player, his goals and assists for this season show that. He’s not right for Rangers and should be shown the door but in an English championship team where your not expected to win every game I think he’d do well.

Probably unpopular view but I don't think Tav is good enough to be in a team to challenge celtic. He can look good going forward on occasion but when he has a defensive nightmare (which he does invariably against better teams) then we get picked apart.

He was taken to the cleaners in the Cup Final against the spoon-burners and in most of the old firm games. And the exciting prospect of Tav taking a free kick from a good position is a VERY distant memory.

Maybe keep him for now out of necessity but he's too big a weakness defensively for the long term imo.

12 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

I’d be happy enough if he takes a scorched earth policy and just burns this squad to the ground.

I think Murphy and Candaies have something to offer going forward, Jack, McCrorie and Morelos have the potential to develop into very good players, the rest are all on shaky pegs.

Can we buy tickets to watch it, please?

Keep those three you mention, for being young and/or injured for long enough to be less culpable, send every loanee back, take money from anyone offering it for the rest.

Won't happen, but it's nice to dream that players who can't be arsed, get smaller when they put on the shirt, or are just irredeemably shit, get the obvious consequences.

8 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

I’ll be even more controversial and say I don’t think Windass is a bad player as such, just he doesn’t have the right mentality. When the going gets tough or the pressures on he disappears, but on his day he can be a decent player, his goals and assists for this season show that. He’s not right for Rangers and should be shown the door but in an English championship team where your not expected to win every game I think he’d do well.

I agree . Some of his runs and goals have been quality . Like you say there is a mentality problem in that he seems to do alright away from home but the pressure of Ibrox turns him into the invisible man . I just think SG might be able help in that respect in that being a midfielder he can improve his game and give him that confidence which is so lacking . I mean , if someone of the calibre of SG has faith in you , you must be walking on to that park 10ft tall .

id like to see him give him a half season and take it from there . 

19 minutes ago, markem said:

See Fod and Tav on a few keep lists, I’d be glad to see the back of them tbh. Good luck and thanks etc but they’ve been at the scene of the crime of too many embarrassments, steeped in failure. 

This, for so many more than just those two :tu:

29 minutes ago, markem said:

See Fod and Tav on a few keep lists, I’d be glad to see the back of them tbh. Good luck and thanks etc but they’ve been at the scene of the crime of too many embarrassments, steeped in failure. 

Putting a positive spin on it time to cash in on them. 

If all he's got to play with is a possible 6 mill there's going to be a lot of the first team looking for new jobs. Wonder if Morelos is still worth the price he was quoted at in January...

I don't think it will be as big a clear out as people think , unless mutual agreements are struck with the players to rip the contracts up and no pay offs are included etc then I can't see many of them walking away when they have a year or two left to run on the contract. 

Id like to think Gerrard will be able to bring in maybe 5/6 real quality players and the rest get a good boot up the arse and start consistently performing. 

5 hours ago, Amato said:

King has already said he doesn't think the squad are as bad as they are playing, and he thinks we might need another 5 or 6 players. No idea if Gerrard will share this view once he starts the job, but realistically there isn't going to be a whole new starting 11.

So who will make the grade? Who are the "flowers" and who are the "weeds"?

Tin hat on but for me Tavernier, Candeias and Morelos could still form part of the new first team. Alves has the ability to but would need to be surrounded by much better quality.

Get Alves to the same deep pit we send Pena, Martin, Windass, Cummings, Cardoso, Fod, Holt, Halliday, and Herrera. Toodle pip!

We've already signed MacGregor and Arfield. 5 or 6 players would replace that lot. A young fast defender and an older more experienced hard case. Two more intelligent midfield players and a couple up front with speed, height and strength.

56 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Everyone has Jack on their list. He seems to have gotten better during injury for I remember a very average player with silly red cards.

Yeah I've noticed that also

Everyone was slagging him off before he got injured.