*** RM Erskine Fund - THE SEASON IS OVER. HOW DID WE DO???

On 5/27/2018 at 12:57, govanblue said:

A VERY Successful night for Erskine (and BRAVEHOUND) last night at the Ibrox Champions League Final Night.  Details tomorrow, once I get some pics.  :tu:

So I forgot it was a bank holiday yesterday.  Hopefully get some pics for tomorrow.  :tu:

33813953_1661169837333230_46351122088738

Or if that's not your cup of tea, you may prefer a wee visit to the hospital...

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/who-cares-wins-glasgow-exhibition-takes-forces-nurse-agnes-95-back-to-the-wards-of-war/

image.thumb.png.eac7e6da6d1ef60351d6114505ddd6da.png

Glasgow garden exhibition takes Forces nurse Agnes, 95, back to the wards of war

Written by Murray Scougall, 29 May 2018

Agnes MacLeod, who worked as a nurse during the war to wounded soldiers

A SPECTACULAR themed garden opening in Glasgow this week will celebrate the nurses who provide aid to our troops in battle zones around the world.

Called Under The White Cross, after the motto of the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps, it depicts a typical ward from the early days of Erskine Hospital.

The Nightingale Ward shows what life was like in Erskine, then known as the Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, when it opened in 1916.

By the end of the First World War, more than 3,450 men had been admitted to Erskine Hospital, with 2,697 fitted with an artificial limb.

The ward display will be part of a garden centrepiece at this week’s Ideal Home Show in the SEC, and was inspired by Erskine resident, Agnes MacLeod, who served in the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps.

“I began my nurse training in 1940,” Agnes, 95, explained.

“But with nursing, there is no change, no roaming, so I decided I was going to join up to the Forces in 1949.”

Agnes as a nurse

Her six years of service took her from Woolwich and York to Germany and Hong Kong, and she achieved the rank of captain.

“I spent three years in Hong Kong and it was beautiful. A full hospital went from England.

“I was in Germany for a couple of years and enjoyed my time there. Their troops hadn’t wanted the war any more than we did.

“I’m very proud to have nursed a number of Chelsea Pensioners and I look out for them on Armistice Day on TV. It’s wonderful to see them.”

Agnes, who moved from her childhood home on Skye to Erskine earlier this year, only left the Corps when she got married. She went on to have two children.

The grandmother of one will visit the exhibition this week and added: “I’m sure seeing the ward laid out the way it used to be will bring back a lot of memories.”

The exhibition display was designed by Erskine Events Project Officer Jennifer Campbell.

She said: “Over the past five years, the Erskine garden has taken us on a journey through the lives of those who have served their country.

“In 2018, Erskine goes back to the height of the First World War, when a hospital was set up to care for Scotland’s injured soldiers.”

Also returning this year is the Erskine Plant Market, filled with a selection of colourful hanging baskets, plants and shrubbery to purchase, with all proceeds supporting Erskine veterans.

Ideal Home Show, May 31-June 3

And if you do happen to pop along to that display, do mention that you're a member of the RangersMedia Erskine Fund - you'll probably find that gets you at the very least a big hug from the Gardeners - and ask Jimmy how our little Broxi's getting along.  

image.thumb.png.84c40bad9a0fb7e6ecf345ee4dfa1dc0.png