Steven Gerrard's Image Rights

FSM

3 hours ago, FSM said:

Anyone got any ideas how this might work and what kind of deal gets struck between himself and the club (if any)? Just wondering how it works when we want to use his image for marketing, or sell stuff bearing his name. Do we need to pay him an agreed cut? Is it all rolled into his management deal? Obviously with guys like Warburton and Pedro it wasn't an issue (on account of them being complete no-marks), but surely it won't be straightforward with someone as high profile as Gerrard?

Assuming he has them of course.....

You've just given an idea to all and sundry shitey press thatll soon be a story made up by our media that won't reflect well on us somehow.

Just now, BallochBear said:

You've just given an idea to all and sundry shitey press thatll soon be a story made up by our media that won't reflect well on us somehow.

No.

I haven't.

You have.

Image rights negotiations held up Manchester Uniteds deal with Mourinho. I would assume  Gerrard has something in place. Edit:  in saying that,  this is what he said as a player on the subject:

"Personally, I think it’s disgusting for a player to ask for image rights from his club," Gerrard said in an interview with The Guardian.

"I believe that when you sign a contract, you sign your image rights over to them. They pay you well, and you’re working for them. Maybe it’s different if you’re Messi or Ronaldo."

4 hours ago, gj923 said:

But his loyalty is instinctive, as are the values that mean he has always refused an image rights deal (where a player makes money every time his club features his face in a commercial). “You hear other players talking about image rights and how much it earns them. Personally, I think it’s disgusting for a player to ask for image rights from his club. I believe that when you sign a contract, you sign your image rights over to them. They pay you well, and you’re working for them. Maybe it’s different if you’re Messi or Ronaldo.

“But there’s so much money in football now, because of the television deals, and it seems to be getting worse,” Gerrard says. “I think we’ll see players moving an awful lot more, because agents will always push for the next move. My own focus has always been football. It’s something my mum and dad handed down to me – the idea that you should just be the best you can be and everything else will take care of itself. You avoid becoming greedy. You concentrate on becoming a good footballer, rather than a personality or a brand.”

Was from a guardian interview but sure it has been mentioned elsewhere also

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/19/steven-gerrard-liverpool-football-interview-donald-mcrae

This is the kind of guy I want as manager. He seems to genuinely have good values.

3 hours ago, geronimoo said:

Does he even have this deal, I heard some stoater on Clyde saying it with the usual "My mate who is good informed told me",  but I was always under the impression with work outside football it is the players business whereas in Spain you sign a contract saying the club get a cut.

Real Madrid, all image rights signed over from him (not manu) to RM. 

Remember reading all those years ago that once Beckham signed for them they made $100m in shirt sales. 

6 hours ago, Amokachi said:

His main sponsor was always Adidas. 

Would've been too good to have had new Adidas kit & new manager announcement together last week.  

As mentioned earlier, couldn't care less if he was sponsored by Tampax just win football games. 

Let it go, Adidas are never sponsoring us in the foreseeable future.

You'll just need to buy a pair of Hummel trainies to go with your matchday attire .

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

Kinda along the same lines I think we jumped the gun with Hummel , the big hitters especially Adidas who’s sponsored Gerrard all his career would be in throwing money at us after his appointment in my opinion 

Why are some people obsessed with Adidas on here??

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Image rights negotiations held up Manchester Uniteds deal with Mourinho. I would assume  Gerrard has something in place. Edit:  in saying that,  this is what he said as a player on the subject:

"Personally, I think it’s disgusting for a player to ask for image rights from his club," Gerrard said in an interview with The Guardian.

"I believe that when you sign a contract, you sign your image rights over to them. They pay you well, and you’re working for them. Maybe it’s different if you’re Messi or Ronaldo."

You're about 20 posts too late Cushy, but I appreciate the effort anyway.

7 hours ago, GT66 said:

No idea, but would think it would be part of the job. It's not as if he is coming here to make money.

Of course he is. He might have more money than Rangers but dont be fooled.. Rich people are always looking to make more money.

14 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Was the best strips and training gear we had 

It was over 20 years ago!! Not having a go at you, but I think there is an element of the support who are desperate to get a strip and training gear from Adidas - just to simply complement their range of multicoloured Adidas casual shoe range. Nothing else will ever do for them.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

It was over 20 years ago!! Not having a go at you, but I think there is an element of the support who are desperate to get a strip and training gear from Adidas - just to simply complement their range of multicoloured Adidas casual shoe range. Nothing else will ever do for them.

????class