Gerrard & Youth

Ace

With Gerrard spending his recent time as a youth coach & also the club previously making it known that youth is a vital part of the club moving forward, do you think that we will promote some of our current crop of u20s into 1st team squad?

1 minute ago, GWR1979 said:

I hope he does as it is meant to be the strategy moving forward, I don't know enough about the youths to know who is showing promise but they played well in the Glasgow cup final.

That was the U17s very much doubt any of them will get a game this season. Doubt if any of the U20's will either in Gerrards 1st season

The hysteria over youths is almost a weekly occurence on here. In reality, if we, or indeed any club, develop one first team regular every 2/3 years then you're doing well. Yes,you get a crop like Man Utd in the early 90's followed closely behind by Ajax 2/3 years later or the Barca team over last 5-10 years but 1 player every 2-3 years is a normal expectation -especially in Scotland!

I'd like to think out of a squad of 23 atleast 7 of them would be promoted up from the youths. 

That leaves more wages for better players in the rest of the squad , I'd like to see a close knit squad not loads of new players coming in , if we can somehow get rid of the guys pedro left us with and make room for 5/6 new players of high quality 3 loan deals and 3 cash deals. 

We should be promoting 2-3 players in to the senior squad every year, give them 12 months to grow in the squad, not in and out every other week.

If they show potential during that year but just don't quite make it punt them out on loan for a season then bring them back.

2 years in the senior circuit will give us a better idea about young players.

7 hours ago, CoopsLaud said:

Fuck sakes theres no obvious choices to go straight in right now but surely they cannae be any worse than the clowns playing at being the first team the now.

I wouldn't put money on that. 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It shouldn’t matter 

youth should only get the chance if they are both good enough and ready 

Exactly. Managers at big clubs are there to win. It’s not like old days when guys spend 10 years at the same club. 

Chelsea and Man City have some outstanding young players but reality is unless they are better than outstanding they ain’t gonna play. 

5 years ago I wanted a long term plan to bring through a team full of youth players so by now they would be a solid unit , capable of winning the league. That opportunity was lost a long time ago. 

Now just want a team that can win the league. Which will involve buying a good number of experienced players that are better than what we have now. 

it'll do them no harm putting a few of them in the first team for the game today. A few of the rejects in our team should be told by now that they've no place next season which will leave the space for the youth players to get a run out. Likes of Tavernier,Morelos shouldn't be playing another game for us.

58 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

If the coaches at Rangers can't tell if their players are good enough already then they shouldn't be coaching. 

46 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Aye ok just play them because they are young and hope they are good what a plan that is 

It was a geniune question, its alright thinking the young guys look ready against their own age group, but throwing them in could be good or bad, so how do we find out if these young guys can make it? 

11 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The hysteria over youths is almost a weekly occurence on here. In reality, if we, or indeed any club, develop one first team regular every 2/3 years then you're doing well. Yes,you get a crop like Man Utd in the early 90's followed closely behind by Ajax 2/3 years later or the Barca team over last 5-10 years but 1 player every 2-3 years is a normal expectation -especially in Scotland!

Point is though mate, that’s going to need to change if we are going to stay competitive. Unless something changes with TV deals, creating sellable assets is going to be our only way for large sums of income.