Scott Arfield signs

Lloyd

2 hours ago, Goianegra said:

Anyone that moans about Gerrard not bringing in his own players, I can guarantee Arfield will be the best midfielder at the club. 

I think Mark Allen was looking at signing Arfield before we even considered Gerrard as manager.  

14 minutes ago, MrMckee said:

Martin has cost us more goals than alves by far and is worse in every aspect of a defender it is painfully obvious to see. Bruno hasn't lived up to expectations but is still by far the superior defender.

Agree with you mate Martin has been worse than having a man down 

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think Mark Allan was looking at signing Arfield before we even considered Gerrard as manager.  

So how does this director of football position work?

surely the manager needs to have a say in who is signed.

24 minutes ago, OzzieBear said:

So how does this director of football position work?

surely the manager needs to have a say in who is signed.

My understanding was that Mark Allen had already identified Arfield and McGregor as summer targets.  Once Gerrard became our manager he was informed of these two players and gave the go ahead to sign them. 

Everyone needs to be in agreement but obviously Mark Allen is doing a lot of work and deserves a share of the credit.  After all, JJ was constantly credited with the Morelos capture despite Pedro being the manager at the time.

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

Like others I am more interested in signing some fucking outstanding Center half’s rather than another vanilla midfielder. Sorry if that sounds harsh but we seem to be collecting midfielders.

Arfield. Jack. Docherty. Rossiter. Holt. McCrorie. Pena ( no laughing at the back). Murphy. Candeias. Halliday. 

Doubtless most of these are leaving but we still need to make that exodus happen and we are likely to be stuck with a few. 

Mark Allen seems to have a thing for midfielders. 

+ Dorrans + Windass

Looks a good signing. From here..

We need to lose Holt, Pena and Halliday to free up wages. 

Recruit 3 new CB (losing Wilson for free was a crime. Sell/sack Cordoso. Not sure Alves legs will last another season).

Add one covering full back (lose Hodson).

Add 1 quality winger (retain Murphy) and a striker for Morelos back up (that Motherwell brute Main?)

Not impossible. Just need to be far smarter than last year. Molt (striker), Callum Patterson (full back), Berra (CB), Hendry (CB), Morgan (winger), could just about have been signed for Pena’s fee. 

Do that and you have a team capable of winning 55.

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think Mark Allen was looking at signing Arfield before we even considered Gerrard as manager.  

Yeah that's my point. Definitely not a Gerrard signing but I'm sure he'll be happy to have him. 

Not 100% sure what to expect from him as I don’t watch a lot of football outside Rangers.

From how highly the Burnley fans seem to regard him I’m hoping for good things although I remember the last time I thought an ex Burnley midfielder would boss it up here.

Hope he hits the ground running.

9 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

+ Dorrans + Windass

Looks a good signing. From here..

We need to lose Holt, Pena and Halliday to free up wages. 

Recruit 3 new CB (losing Wilson for free was a crime. Sell/sack Cordoso. Not sure Alves legs will last another season).

Add one covering full back (lose Hodson).

Add 1 quality winger (retain Murphy) and a striker for Morelos back up (that Motherwell brute Main?)

Not impossible. Just need to be far smarter than last year. Molt (striker), Callum Patterson (full back), Berra (CB), Hendry (CB), Morgan (winger), could just about have been signed for Pena’s fee. 

Do that and you have a team capable of winning 55.

Morgan that's signed for the beasts? Very good!

1 hour ago, Siam69 said:

Murphy has been decent. He's not a midfield 'general' with some bite, he takes people on, and can score goals.

He'll stay, hopefully.

I like Murphy but he needs to start stepping up in the big games and do more to get involved. Not all his fault though, lot of the times he had two people closing him down and we couldn't take advantage of the space elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Siam69 said:

Murphy has been decent. He's not a midfield 'general' with some bite, he takes people on, and can score goals.

He'll stay, hopefully.

I know some people aren't massive on Murphy but he's joint second highest assist maker in the league and only joined towards the end of Jan. Extrapolate that across an entire season and you're looking at 14-15 assists - far more than ANYONE else in the league.

2 minutes ago, BillStruthBear said:

I know some people aren't massive on Murphy but he's joint second highest assist maker in the league and only joined towards the end of Jan. Extrapolate that across an entire season and you're looking at 14-15 assists - far more than ANYONE else in the league.

That's quite surprising and I've not given him as much credit as due.

What are his and others assists stats?

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Look at the last player we signed off Burnley. No one can say he wasn't a MUCH better player than Arfield. Look how that turned out. 

Can't believe folk are happy with this type of signing. No wonder folk dont expect us to do well in Europe. All the while the scum across the city are getting linked with £15m players. 

Shut up.

You and your interest in “across” the city”

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

Like others I am more interested in signing some fucking outstanding Center half’s rather than another vanilla midfielder. Sorry if that sounds harsh but we seem to be collecting midfielders.

Arfield. Jack. Docherty. Rossiter. Holt. McCrorie. Pena ( no laughing at the back). Murphy. Candeias. Halliday. 

Doubtless most of these are leaving but we still need to make that exodus happen and we are likely to be stuck with a few. 

Mark Allen seems to have a thing for midfielders. 

You missed Windass out. Poor guy's feelings will be hurt. Josh and his Dad will be dissing you on Twitter tonight.:angrywillie:

Arfield looks like a great signing. Hopefully more of a similar quality coming in. 

1 minute ago, BillStruthBear said:

Candy 10

Tav and Murphy 7

Windass and Morelos 6

Holty 4

DJ and Dorrans 3

Fuxacke when you said in the league I thought you meant from all league players ??.

Was sure Windass was on more than 6.

Tavs 7 is great for such a shite player ?

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Fuxacke when you said in the league I thought you meant from all league players ??.

Was sure Windass was on more than 6.

Tavs 7 is great for such a shite player ?

Haha I sort of did mate. Candeias is out on his own with 10 but then you've got:

Tav, Murphy, Tierney, Forrest, Dembele, Scott Allan and Tait from Motherwell all joined on 7.