***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

Danes have never been scared to do anything. 

Now, now. you know that's not true?. Saying "please" and "thank you" terrifies the Danes. And don't get me started on queuing.........

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Actually China has 25 cities with larger populations than Uruguay and 15 larger than Scotland (excluding Govanhill) ?

China vs Govanhill is no contest.

The Chinese might make it out but their pockets will have been emptied.

29 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Don't know why players try the stop start run up. It's bloody stupid. Just fucking pick a corner, concentrate and put your foot through it!

If I'm taking a penalty that's exactly how I would take it but the really good players, as we've seen in the world cup group stages, wait for the keeper to move then place the ball in the opposite corner. It gives me the fear but the guys who are a level above can pull it off.

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

If I'm taking a penalty that's exactly how I would take it but the really good players, as we've seen in the world cup group stages, wait for the keeper to move then place the ball in the opposite corner. It gives me the fear but the guys who are a level above can pull it off.

I think I'm right in saying you're not allowed to stop your run up...so he was taking a chance if I'm right. Luckily for him he only just kept moving! 

5 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

If I'm taking a penalty that't exactly how I would take it but the really good players, as we've seen in the world cup group stages, wait for the keeper to move then place the ball in the opposite corner. It gives me the fear but the guys who are a level above can pull it off.

I just think it's daft. You see a lot of players miss, as they get caught in two minds, get their feet tangled, stuck underneath them and end up looking like dicks. If it comes off they look great but I just don't get it. You are right though. The Dane player panicked and shot too early and poorly. He just had to show a split second more patience and then just dink it to the opposite side.

Alan Shearer and Harry Kane are how pens should be taken IMO. Smash it in the top bin. No keeper is saving them..............

One of the few who can start-stop and hit a good penalty is Balotelli. In fact at some point he was so good i thought he would never miss one, but he did miss a few still. But yes, smash it in the top corner, keep it as far away from the keeper as possible. 

55 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Fuck right off before I stomp on yer bawsack in my heels.

Football is finished now so I can get back to this shite.

What triggered the threat of violence? Was it pointing out that Niko is no longer a Rangers player? Totally uncalled for.

4 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

I think I'm right in saying you're not allowed to stop your run up...so he was taking a chance if I'm right. Luckily for him he only just kept moving! 

You can't stop but you can stutter the run as long as you keep moving.

3 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I just think it's daft. You see a lot of players miss, as they get caught in two minds, get their feet tangled, stuck underneath them and end up looking like dicks. If it comes off they look great but I just don't get it. You are right though. The Dane player panicked and shot too early and poorly. He just had to show a split second more patience and then just dink it to the opposite side.

Alan Shearer and Harry Kane are how pens should be taken IMO. Smash it in the top bin. No keeper is saving them..............

If done well it isn't daft. The one's who miss, miss for the exact reasons you've said. I don't think it's about looking great though. I genuinely believe the players who execute it well know what they are doing and can go either side depending on which side the keeper dives. The players who don't execute it well are the players who try to emulate the greats but end up either fucking it or scoring more through luck. Personally I'd pick a side and stick with it but there's definitely players good enough to wait until the keeper moves then can accurately place the ball either side at the last moment.

Aye Kane's penalties were crackers. Unstoppable.

47 minutes ago, barkie said:

Dry the tears of joy when England win

Lol. They will get pumped off Columbia then the fans will start the usual riots and the Russians will kick fuck out them. Cant wait.

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

You can't stop but you can stutter the run as long as you keep moving.

If done well it isn't daft. The one's who miss, miss for the exact reasons you've said. I don't think it's about looking great though. I genuinely believe the players who execute it well know what they are doing and can go either side depending on which side the keeper dives. The players who don't execute it well are the players who try to emulate the greats but end up either fucking it or scoring more through luck. Personally I'd pick a side and stick with it but there's definitely players good enough to wait until the keeper moves then can accurately place the ball either side at the last moment.

Aye Kane's penalties were crackers. Unstoppable.

I just think that with all that pressure on you it would be so much easier to know what you're doing beforehand, hit the ball cleanly and trust your technique. It should be easier for a professional player to hit the top corner rather than shooting at the very last split second. And if the keeper stands tall when you try the stutter run up your body shape might be in a more unnatural position limiting you to where you can possibly hit it and how much pace you can put on it. Sometimes you can't quite hit it as cleanly as you would like. Obviously i'm not an elite footballer though but I just think you're more likely to miss taking pens with the stutter run up.

Personally I think some do actually try the stutter run up to look cool and show off. I also still think it's stupid. I hope every player who tries it misses! ?

1 hour ago, wullyRFC said:

Lol. They will get pumped off Columbia then the fans will start the usual riots and the Russians will kick fuck out them. Cant wait.

Aye well you jog on and support your wee fenian Croatian or Columbian team then big mass at your house when then win. 

3 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

100% bang on....if you have the ability then hit them like shearer and kane as you don't save them....on a side note if I were a goalie just now I wouldn't dive...their is one helluva fixiation for hiting the ball down the middle....I honestly lost count today how many players did it today....that ain't skill, that is just a gamble. 

4 hours ago, hammer93 said:

100% bang on....if you have the ability then hit them like shearer and kane as you don't save them....on a side note if I were a goalie just now I wouldn't dive...their is one helluva fixiation for hiting the ball down the middle....I honestly lost count today how many players did it today....that ain't skill, that is just a gamble. 

Statistically it is the most successful method for scoring a pen. Not in this world Cup mind you. 

8 hours ago, wullyRFC said:

That's the risk you take when you qualify for finals.

Archived