***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Greece won the Euros so it would be nothing compared to that 

Or even Portugal in 2016, don't think they won a game in 90 mins untill the semis, absolutely dire to watch. 

Just now, GT66 said:

Or even Portugal in 2016, don't think they won a game in 90 mins untill the semis, absolutely dire to watch. 

Yep that's right 

I wouldn't have expected England to get this far but it's not that unthinkable especially with the number of bigger teams that have gone out early and Italy and Holland didn't make it at all 

The media and pundits, and everyone on social media are clearly biased and excitable. I think that's completely understandable. As a result though they can lose sight of perspective and say some absolutely mental things and make some completely over the top comparisons. I guess we all do it in the official match day threads for us, and I know some fans also cringe at the Rangers TV commentary at times. 

However one thing that is noticeable is how the players, and Southgate in particular look very calm, composed and assured. They don't seem to be getting too caught up in it. They've just got to the semi finals of the World Cup at an absolute canter. You'll struggle to see an easier progression. There were only ever one winners in this game. It was so easy for them. 

They have had an easy draw, similar to Portugal and Greece in recent Euros but you've got to give them credit. England have a real chance. IMO I think they'll fall just short against a better side. I still think they need so much more from Sterling, Lingard and Alli. Maybe they'll step up when it really matters. They have to if England are to win this............

Belgium will beat France, England will beat Croatia (even though I want them to win it), then they'll win the final. 

Like I said before it'll be class seeing the reaction up here. 

2014 - Scotland said No. 

2016 - Brexit. 

2018 - England win the World Cup. 

Britannia reigns supreme :UK:

7 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

The media and pundits, and everyone on social media are clearly biased and excitable. I think that's completely understandable. As a result though they can lose sight of perspective and say some absolutely mental things and make some completely over the top comparisons. I guess we all do it in the official match day threads for us, and I know some fans also cringe at the Rangers TV commentary at times. 

However one thing that is noticeable is how the players, and Southgate in particular look very calm, composed and assured. They don't seem to be getting too caught up in it. They've just got to the semi finals of the World Cup at an absolute canter. You'll struggle to see an easier progression. There were only ever one winners in this game. It was so easy for them. 

They have had an easy draw, similar to Portugal and Greece in recent Euros but you've got to give them credit. England have a real chance. IMO I think they'll fall just short against a better side. I still think they need so much more from Sterling, Lingard and Alli. Maybe they'll step up when it really matters. They have to if England are to win this............

Lingard had an outstanding game there I doubt anyone covered more ground than him and the first time cross for the second was as good as you'll see. Sterlings decision making is abysmal, Rashford should have replaced him much sooner. Alli needs to keep hold of the ball much better.

3 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Lingard had an outstanding game there I doubt anyone covered more ground than him and the first time cross for the second was as good as you'll see. Sterlings decision making is abysmal, Rashford should have replaced him much sooner. Alli needs to keep hold of the ball much better.

I don't think any of them can be questioned for effort. However IMO Lingard wasn't outstanding. I just think the final ball or decision making from those three has been lacking. In fairness to Lingard and Alli they made the 2nd so ultimately they've done their job but an Alli goal could be compared to a Windass performance! So many times though England wasted opportunities in the final 3rd IMO. I actually do like Lingard however he's not playing as well as he has done for Man U IMO.

It's obviously unfair to compare but against a Belgium or a France they won't get the same amount of chances. They will have to be more creative and clinical than they have been so far. And on the flip side, Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne for example will more than likely punish them at the other end.

18 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Belgium will beat France, England will beat Croatia (even though I want them to win it), then they'll win the final. 

Like I said before it'll be class seeing the reaction up here. 

2014 - Scotland said No. 

2016 - Brexit. 

2018 - England win the World Cup. 

Britannia reigns supreme :UK:

Fuck that mate, need Russia to win to complete the treble

Screenshot_20180707-105339.png

8 minutes ago, GT66 said:

Fuck that mate, need Russia to win to complete the treble

Screenshot_20180707-105339.png

Fair play if that works out mate, I'd be mega surprised if Russia won though. 

1 minute ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

His brief spell for that lot aside, Wright is pretty cool.

He is actually a good pundit and his biography is one of the best football ones that I've read, I'd make it compulsory for any kid thinking about entering professional sports as he lays out exactly what it takes. 

Archived