***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the kid on game v Belgium in the group stages, tonight was the first time they have been behind in a game, I feared for them as they have not shown the extra gear required.

ironically they can now play Belgium in a nothing game again, play their so called weaker team again. 

1 minute ago, BlueAvenger said:

As expected England lost to the first half decent team they played. They are a mediocre team that got to the semi final because the big teams went out and they had an easy draw. 

And yet everyone who says that are exactly the same people who were saying we would lose to Columbia and Sweden. We weren’t good enough when it mattered but getting to the semis was an achievement and 45 mins from a World Cup final was closer than I ever thought i would see in my lifetime.

31 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

France will win. 

I put £10 on Croatia pre tournament so obviously hope for a Croatian win, but I agree France are looking very good.

Anyway am in Croatia just now and watched both quarter and semi final games in a local bar the atmosphere was great, even if bet goes down thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Neighbour just back says the pub down the road has been torn up. Expected tbh. Person walking past the house at half time in et saying ' how can we be struggling against a team with no world class players' This does my box in, fine all fans are welcome but to come away with such bollox because you no doubt watxh no football inbetween and have no idea. Pet hate of mine.

12 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

And yet everyone who says that are exactly the same people who were saying we would lose to Columbia and Sweden. We weren’t good enough when it mattered but getting to the semis was an achievement and 45 mins from a World Cup final was closer than I ever thought i would see in my lifetime.

From the start I always thought England would get to last 8 or 16 because they had an easy draw. But I expected Germany and Spain to be there too and beat them. Fair point about reaching the semi final as an achievement . The brutal truth is they were  never going to win it mate. 

Genuinely thrilling game once again in this World Cup.

England have overachieved in this World Cup (good draw aside). Before the tournament I don't think many would have taken them to get so far and they can be proud of that. Going by the unders tournaments they have a very bright future and if there young guys get a chance at good clubs over the next 5 years there is no reason why England can't win a tournament in the next decade or so.

As for Croatia, proper dark horses, who have an outstanding squad with some fantastic talents have combined it with hard work. This is something a generation of Croatians will hold for the rest of their lives and congratulations to them, I hope they enjoy it. I dunno how such a small country keeps producing such talent.

I also think the English haters should be looking to Croatia's achievements rather than England's failure. It might actually help this country qualify for something.

Just now, BlueAvenger said:

From the start I always thought England would get to last 8 or 16 because they had an easy draw. But I expected Germany and Spain to be there too and beat them. Fair point about reaching the semi final as an achievement . The brutal truth is they were  never going to win it mate. 

I never thought we would win it, but was still a nice dream while it lasted. My main point was that certain people (mainly the foreigners and paddy’s at work) love to say we were only there because of an easy draw, and yet before the Columbia and Sweden games were saying we were going out because both were better than England.

Mbappe and Griezmann would've had an absolute field day with that defence had they got through. It's not a terrible defence but it's nowhere near good enough to shut out any side a level above what they've faced so far. 

The youngest side of the tournament getting to the semis though whilst playing some cracking football is a great achievement. Will be interesting to see how they do at euro 2020 (especially as the final is at Wembley I think?)

7 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

I never thought we would win it, but was still a nice dream while it lasted. My main point was that certain people (mainly the foreigners and paddy’s at work) love to say we were only there because of an easy draw, and yet before the Columbia and Sweden games were saying we were going out because both were better than England.

Yeah thats true. 

Let's be quite frank, England thought they were world beaters because they beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. Even Colombia were kind of riding on 2014's hype and they didn't have their star player either. The second they came up against half decent opposition they got beat.

They looked a good team and did well with what was in front of them but you can't really say they didn't get as far as they did on much else other than an easy draw. They've built up this so called amazing success story without playing a single top team (other than getting beat by Belgium in the group) and ultimately got knocked out by Croatia. But I'm sure the tournament will be just the boost to the English ego anyway that they didn't need.

First decent opponent and they failed. 

Done better than the likes of Spain and Germany mind.

i don't see them as anything special tbh, guys like Lingaard, Stones, Young etc ain't that good to win international tournaments. Highly doubt they will ever get an easier run to a final again, that was a cake walk.

Mind you Scottish folk lapping it up is ironic considering the national team here have been redundant since 1998 and counting. 

Feel sorry for English players and their fans, but a massive GET IT RIGHT FUKKING UP YOU to every cunt still greeting on the BBC, absolute wankers.

Oh, and any player caught greeting after losing a football match should be castrated, poofs.

Anyhow happy 12th especially to the Bears in Northern Ireland, have a glorious 12th.

Archived