***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Mbappe and Griezmann would've had an absolute field day with that defence had they got through. It's not a terrible defence but it's nowhere near good enough to shut out any side a level above what they've faced so far. 

The youngest side of the tournament getting to the semis though whilst playing some cracking football is a great achievement. Will be interesting to see how they do at euro 2020 (especially as the final is at Wembley I think?)

Easy to play “cracking football” when you’re playing shite (as Warburton showed with us in the Championship) and Sime Vrsjalko summed it up perfectly after the game last night:

“The all-round perception was that this is a new-look England who have changed their ways of punting long balls upfield but when we pressed them it turned out that they haven’t“

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Oh, and any player caught greeting after losing a football match should be castrated

Agree with this . I always find this pathetic . No matter what

Unless it's some gorgeous looking bit of totty . I make allowances there :boobs:

8 hours ago, The Godfather said:

First decent opponent and they failed. 

Done better than the likes of Spain and Germany mind.

i don't see them as anything special tbh, guys like Lingaard, Stones, Young etc ain't that good to win international tournaments. Highly doubt they will ever get an easier run to a final again, that was a cake walk.

Mind you Scottish folk lapping it up is ironic considering the national team here have been redundant since 1998 and counting. 

Put a post on Facebook saying how Scotland fans laughing at England for getting knocked out is like laughing at your mate for pulling when you are going home to a pot noodle and a wank. It’s obviously triggered a few tartan trannies in my friends list because I got a few PM’s of abuse, with one guy calling me a traitor to my country :lol:

What’s hilarious about it is i don’t even support England. I follow international football as a neutral.

Southgate management was terrible second half. Giving them the whole midfield to work in with Rakitic and Modric  the freedom of the stadium. He should have taken Lingard off and put Dier on next to Henderson around the 50th minute mark. Croatia was getting on top. Compact the midfield and push up, even more so because Croatia don't exactly have a quick striker and you would have thought with Stones and Walker in the back they could afford to do so. 

They bottled it in that second half.

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

Southgate management was terrible second half. Giving them the whole midfield to work in with Rakitic and Modric  the freedom of the stadium. He should have taken Lingard off and put Dier on next to Henderson around the 50th minute mark. Croatia was getting on top. Compact the midfield and push up, even more so because Croatia don't exactly have a quick striker and you would have thought with Stones and Walker in the back they could afford to do so. 

They bottled it in that second half.

He brought Dier on against Colombia and it was one of the worst performances in the World Cup from an England player - I agree he should have switched it up slightly but not by bringing on Dier as a 2nd sitting midfielder. 

34 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He brought Dier on against Colombia and it was one of the worst performances in the World Cup from an England player - I agree he should have switched it up slightly but not by bringing on Dier as a 2nd sitting midfielder. 

Not so much for quality but just a filler in that area, they needed more defensive minded players in midfield and to lessen the time they had on the ball, make them rush things more. You don't give Modric and Rakitic so much time to do what they want.

15 hours ago, CoopsLaud said:

Only saying that I feel they have looked no worse than any team there based on what I have seen and results. Also said the overall standard is low.

Spot on....people saying they played no cunt are obviously missing the point that the so called good teams were in fact not good enough to themselves to play England as they exited the tournament in the early rounds.....England only beat the teams that were put in front of them....well up until last night.

I cant see how the press are saying they overachieved. Most would have expected them to beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. Scrapping through on penalties against Colombia and getting beat by both Belgium and Croatia is hardly overachievement. 

The fact these results took them to a semi-final is more down to the vagaries of the draw rather than overachievement.

17 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Spot on....people saying they played no cunt are obviously missing the point that the so called good teams were in fact not good enough to themselves to play England as they exited the tournament in the early rounds.....England only beat the teams that were put in front of them....well up until last night.

common sense post at last

Wins: Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, Sweden

Losses: Belgium, Croatia.

OK, but not that great. It was as good a chance as they'll have, given the shiteness of the traditionally strong countries.

Archived