Laudrup1984

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

England probably would’ve taken going out in the semi final at the start of the tournament, nobody seemed to back them further than the quarters. Usually the media have them won any tournament before it even starts. Players and manager were always pretty humble but get it up all the wallopers that had already booked the Monday off work and got their ‘England world champions 2018’ tattoos. 

In recent tournaments they've suffered against the likes of Iceland, Slovakia, Algeria, clearly it's a big improvement regardless of how the draw worked out 

Missed opportunity tonight mind you 

• Like 1

That was the first decent team encountered Belgium apart and they came up short, there will never be a better chance to sort of blunder your way to a WC final, next time around Italy and Holland shall be back in the mix to make it harder.

• Like 4

Kane is over-rated, scores against the likes of Tunisia and some think he is the new Maradonna or Pele, he's bang average by WORLD standards

• Like 2

Kane was terrible vs Sweden and terrible tonight. He was not moving about anywhere near enough, it actually looked like he was carrying an injury but not telling anyone. 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Played too many long balls for my liking, Lovren was bulling Kane in the air.

Hmmm. 

I think that they struggled to keep the ball so long balls were inevitable over the 120 minutes.

But within the 90 minutes, they just didn't take their chances. That's a fact. 

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Kane is over-rated, scores against the likes of Tunisia and some think he is the new Maradonna or Pele, he's bang average by WORLD standards

Up there with the stupidest things I have ever read

• Like 1

Thought Wright would be going mental, wish this was on bbc usually shearer cant hide his rage. 

4 minutes ago, callumbo87 said:

Southgate is getting far too much praise.

Stuck rigidly to the same system and played the same team with bang average performers- Alli, Henderson, Sterling 

Kane should have been taken off along with Alli before ET...spursd it

Yeah all good points. Pretty one dimensional and reliant on opponents being unable to defend set pieces. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Devastated, but we got further than I ever thought before the tournament. It’s a young team who will learn a lot of lessons and will improve. I’ve questioned Southgate for playing young and sterling ahead of rose and rashford all tournament and still think he was wrong, but it doesn’t really matter now. I think over the 90 mins we were the better team but we just didn’t have the quality to push on and win it. Gutted we’re going home (not interested in the 3rd place game) but hopefully we can learn and improve from this and this young squad can go on to better things at the euros. 

Think the inexperience showed, Croatia when they got tired passed the ball a lot more letting the ball do the work England needed to play it a bit smarter, that said while understanding the disappointment I think the better team prevailed. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

agreed...

Pundits now saying Kane looked injured. He was so anonymous for two games running it can only be the explanation. Should still score that. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

But not on a par with many of the stupid things you've written but thanks. 

12 minutes ago, ben51 said:

They've done well to come from a position of getting beaten by Iceland, to here. 

There's so much potential in that side, but it's all about fine margins and they failed tonight. 

Kane has been absolutely unreal this WC, but tonight he choked. The game should have been out of sight by the 2nd half. 

I'm still not sure about Southgate, I think he's taken a lot of credit for a side who has built their mentality off of set pieces. His substitutions have been questionable and ill timed.  

They should have won that game. 

Thought Kane was poor aside from Tunisia and Panama. Didn't turn up in the knockout stages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

agreed...

Serious question, you are picking a world eleven from this WC would Kane be in your team, certainly would not be in mines, but hey its all about opinions.

13 minutes ago, FSM said:

Fuck off coop, they didn't beat a single decent team in the entire tournament :lol:

Only saying that I feel they have looked no worse than any team there based on what I have seen and results. Also said the overall standard is low.

9 out of 12 goals from set pieces.

1 minute ago, the goal machine said:

Thought Kane was poor aside from Tunisia and Panama. Didn't turn up in the knockout stages.

Probably true.

But the guy is going to finish top goal scorer. Like I said fine margins make big players into top players, but before tonight he's had a solid tournament. 

I actually think he might have been injured in the Columbia game. 

Probably says a lot that it's their goalkeeper and a few defenders who come out of the tournament with better reputations, that attack and midfield was turgid

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ben51 said:

Probably true.

But the guy is going to finish top goal scorer. Like I said fine margins make big players into top players, but before tonight he's had a solid tournament. 

I actually think he might have been injured in the Columbia game. 

The Oleg Salenko effect.

England could have done with a few more experienced players brought along. Maybe it's easy to say that now but maybe a few more experienced heads on the bench, bring them on in extra time. It's not everyday a World cup semi final comes around and they probably will never get another chance in a World cup in that situation. Even Brazil are struggling to make World cup finals now. Got to take the chance when it arrives.

Thoughts on France v Croatia?

8 minutes ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

Thought Wright would be going mental, wish this was on bbc usually shearer cant hide his rage. 

That's on after the news.

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Serious question, you are picking a world eleven from this WC would Kane be in your team, certainly would not be in mines, but hey its all about opinions.

No he wouldnt  but he has scored for fun the past 3 seasons in the EPL...he is hardly overrated but was very very poor today

2 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

9 out of 12 goals from set pieces.

Greece won the Euros on set pieces. A team wanting to win anything should focus intensely on set pieces. It's why France are in the final and not Belgium. 

25 minutes ago, BillyG93 said:

Can’t believe how bad the refs were during this match. Any kind of major outwith var decision called wrong. Total embarrassing they were.

sn2p5.jpg

• Like 1