McAllister wants to build from the back

Lloyd

Gary McAllister says Rangers will be building from the back in transfer market

15 May 18

NEW Rangers assistant manager Gary McAllister has hinted Steven Gerrard will prioritise sorting out their side’s defence first as they prepare to start their Ibrox revolution.

Rangers ended the season in third place for the second season in a row as they finished behind Aberdeen in second and champions celtic.

Liverpool legends Gerrard and McAllister will take over at Rangers on June 1 and it’s certain to be a fascinating adventure.

Read more: Lee McCulloch: No case for the Rangers defence, new arrivals are vital

The pair have spent the past few days in Dubai as ambassadors of Liverpool and they appeared at the LFC World event in the United Arab Emirates.

The pair watched Rangers’ thrilling 5-5 with Hibs on Sunday and were spotted in animated conversation during the encounter.

And the 53-year-old, who won 57 caps for Scotland, admitted the Easter Road showdown gave him and his new boss plenty of food for thought.

He said: “When you watch the game and see a scoreline of 5-5 I think that kind of suggests what’s wrong...

“But there’s a lot of positives too. Going forward and scoring five goals away from home is good at least.

Read more: Proud Scott Arfield says lure of boss Steven Gerrard will tempt more stars to Rangers

“Look, it’s going to be a tough task. 

“When I first sat down with Steven I saw the glint in his eye about the job of managing Rangers. I could see the hunger and desire and I’m exactly the same.

“We are going to go up to Glasgow and give it our best shot.

“I’m really, really excited about it and so is Steven. Rangers are a massive, massive club and it will be a great challenge for us.”

14 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Once again the content is not matching the headline.

Yeah something’s wrong and there are positives as he says but in no way does that say they are going to build from the back.

This is just like the other thread about playing Klopps way.

Journalists are meant to use fact not fiction.

It may well be that we want to build the team from the back but that’s not what McAllister’s answer to the question was suggesting.

It suggests to me that when he says a 5-5 scoreline shows where somehing is wrong he's obviously not referring to our attack but is meaning our defence even Stevie Wonder could see our back line needs strengthened. When Souness came to Ibrox he brought in defenders Terry Butcher and Gary Stevens, Chris Woods in goals with Trevor Steven in midfield. I'm not expecting Gerard to have the money to do that but he and McAllister know what players they could attract to this club and maybe they'll be players closer to thirty than twenty but we need steadied at the back and older players can do that. We just have to hope they at least get some money to attract good players.

He literally says nothing about prioritising the defence or building from the back. Plus, they’ve already made their first signing, and he’s a midfielder. 

Can we stop posting this absolute drivel? 

Just now, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

He literally says nothing about prioritising the defence or building from the back. Plus, they’ve already made their first signing, and he’s a midfielder. 

Can we stop posting this absolute drivel? 

The midfielder signed was done before Gerrard he just okayed the deal.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

The midfielder signed was done before Gerrard he just okayed the deal.

That’s semantics. He’s still Gerrard’s first signing. If he didn’t want him he would’ve pulled the plug. 

10 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

It suggests to me that when he says a 5-5 scoreline shows where so bathing is wrong he's obviously not referring to our attack but is meaning our defence even Stevie Wonder could see our back line needs strengthened. When Souness came to Ibrox he brought in defenders Terry Butcher and Gary Stevens, Chris Woods in goals with Trevor Steven in midfield. I'm not expecting Gerard to have the money to do that but he and McAllister know what players they could attract to this club and maybe they'll be players closer to thirty than twenty but we need steadied at the back and older players can do that. We just have to hope they at least get some money to attract good players.

Yes there are problems with defence. We know this, they know it, the world knows it.

Worst defence in the top 6 but most prolific attack.

So yes the defence has been our weakness this year.

However, that doesn’t mean they want to build from the back.

If we buy Skrtel and thats all then you can argue we’ve strengthened our central defence but it’s not building from the back.

Building from the back for me means something different. You prioritise signing central defenders, keeper first then work forward and then finally out.

When Walter came back he signed weir, ehiogu, Webster and Thomson. 3 centre backs and a strong central midfielder. That to me is building from the back.

We have Arfield as the first confirmed signing and whilst he has experience and versatility he’s not in the mound of Thomson (possibly Gerrard is happy with McCrorie and rossiter in the middle)

If McGregor and Skrtel are signed and other centre backs arrive then i’ll believe they are building from the back but as ever the press try to make a full article out of one sentence.

Just now, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

That’s semantics. He’s still Gerrard’s first signing. If he didn’t want him he would’ve pulled the plug. 

No, it's what the player said in the interview I already stated he okayed the deal so I cant see why you're telling me he could have pulled the plug I already know that.

Just now, Smile said:

No, it's what the player said in the interview I already stated he okayed the deal so I cant see why you're telling me he could have pulled the plug I already know that.

So we’re in agreement Arfield, a midfielder, is Gerrard’s first signing, which makes this whole article click bait nonsense? Good. 

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

yet the 3 or 4 players we have been linked with only 1 of them is a defender???

I think we are just getting linked by every agent who wants to shift his player and get a wee summer bonus rather than players Gerrard and McCallisters interested in.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I think we are just getting linked by every agent who wants to shift his player and get a wee summer bonus rather than players Gerrard and McCallisters interested in.

i hope your right as the £5M quoted for marriott in league 1??  is absoutely crazy money imho.  realistically tho we literally need a FULL new defence and the only one i would keep would be Alnwick and that would only be as backup to a gk with real quality.  everyone otther single one of them doesnt deserve to be at the club at all

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

This.

I genuinely don’t think anyone has any solid leads on who we want therefore it’s just a case of either lazy journalism (out of favour Liverpool players, Liverpool youth, former Liverpool players, Rangers supporting players etc.) or its agents of players circulating stories trying to piggy back the Gerrard interest in getting their players names posted all over the place for some free publicity (not necessarily hoping we go for them because let’s face it Andy Carroll Jermaine Defoe etc. Would rather get a move where they continue to earn stupid money rather than come here for a small percentage of what they currently get).

I’d imagine that once we have Gerrard formerly appointed we’ll start to see some more concrete links be reported.

15 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Our number 1 priority since demotion has been the defence and we have never addressed it since 2012.

That is the real issue that leads to where we are at present.

That is spot on mate and it has been infuriating that not one manager has been able to get the defence sorted since we went down the league's.