McAllister wants to build from the back

Lloyd

21 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Rubbish article but anyone could see that our number one priority has to be sorting the (central) defence. Hopefully see some movement soon. The season’s just ended but we’ll be facing those qualifiers before you know it. 

It has been our weakest point for 6 year and not one management team has made it their priority. So anyone couldn’t have seen that this would be where they’d look to strengthen

47 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Once again the content is not matching the headline.

Yeah something’s wrong and there are positives as he says but in no way does that say they are going to build from the back.

This is just like the other thread about playing Klopps way.

Journalists are meant to use fact not fiction.

It may well be that we want to build the team from the back but that’s not what McAllister’s answer to the question was suggesting.

He was asked specifically what he thought of the 5-5 score line, and answered that the score line tells you what’s the main problem with the team. 

So are you saying that the 2 of them sat and watched that game and thought well it’s obvious the main problem but fuck that if they are scoring 5 we will score 6. 

It seemed obvious to me from his answer that they are looking to get the defence sorted that has been a problem for years. 

6 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

On the assumption that Martin isn't signed and Alves & Cardoso both leave we'll need 4 centre halves - particularly if Gerrard adopts the 3-4-3 he had been using at Liverpool. Think McCrorie is still seen as a centre half longer term as well unfortunately. 

If he is then he’s not going to make it here

6 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

On the assumption that Martin isn't signed and Alves & Cardoso both leave we'll need 4 centre halves - particularly if Gerrard adopts the 3-4-3 he had been using at Liverpool. Think McCrorie is still seen as a centre half longer term as well unfortunately. 

McCrorie might manage better in a back 3, but still think sitting in front of that back 3 is his best position. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He needs better wing backs/wide midfield players than Tav & John 

I think John could be okay as a back up maybe even Tav could do a job there although I’d fuck him off anyway because he’s mentally weak and we need to cash in on him.

35 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

That’s semantics. He’s still Gerrard’s first signing. If he didn’t want him he would’ve pulled the plug. 

Gerrard hasn’t even started yet so it’s not his signing 

Interesting that Gerrard plays a 343 and that’s the formation we switched to on Sunday to help us get a result, was there not also some suggestion that he had a hand in Rossiter starting? 

35 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

He literally says nothing about prioritising the defence or building from the back. Plus, they’ve already made their first signing, and he’s a midfielder. 

Can we stop posting this absolute drivel? 

What does that matter? He's hardly going to come in, be asked if he wants to sign Arfield or miss out on him and say no because then he'd be the first signing. Arfield was a free transfer, just because his got over the line first in no way means they aren't putting the most thought and resources into the defence. 

2 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Interesting that Gerrard plays a 343 and that’s the formation we switched to on Sunday to help us get a result, was there not also some suggestion that he had a hand in Rossiter starting? 

Doubt he had anything to do with Rossiter starting

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Doubt he had anything to do with Rossiter starting

Think someone on here mentioned it and the commentators said it too, I doubt it also just throwing it out there.

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He was asked specifically what he thought of the 5-5 score line, and answered that the score line tells you what’s the main problem with the team. 

So are you saying that the 2 of them sat and watched that game and thought well it’s obvious the main problem but fuck that if they are scoring 5 we will score 6. 

It seemed obvious to me from his answer that they are looking to get the defence sorted that has been a problem for years. 

As I said in a later post it’s obvious to everyone we have a problem in defence and they will need to address it but building from the back is very specific. In other words you put most (if not all) of your transfer kitty into getting the right people in goal, centre back and central midfield. When Smith came back he signed 3 centre backs and a strong central midfielder. He didnt sign a wide player or a striker.

I have no doubt we’ll buy defenders but is the team going to be built around that strong core or are we just bringing in players all over the park and trying to get them to gel?

Its all about how you interpret building from the back, if you think differently to the above the fair enough the article is on the money but for me i’ll only believe they are building from the back if we see signings prioritised to that effect (with Arfield not being a centre back, goalkeeper or a natural central midfielder I’m suggesting it’s not happened yet).

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Once again the content is not matching the headline.

Yeah something’s wrong and there are positives as he says but in no way does that say they are going to build from the back.

This is just like the other thread about playing Klopps way.

Journalists are meant to use fact not fiction.

It may well be that we want to build the team from the back but that’s not what McAllister’s answer to the question was suggesting.

Indeed. 

Yesterday it was Gerrard wants to play like Klopp, todays its McAllister wants to build from the back.

Neither of them said they things

5-5 anyone can see what's wrong?, but has anyone stopped for a moment and thought, where did our goals come from?, the forwards weren't exactly covering themselves in glory either the amount of goals scored took the spotlight off of them, agreed first priority is defence but by fuck we also badly need a proper goalscorer.

46 minutes ago, Siwel said:

It has been our weakest point for 6 year and not one management team has made it their priority. So anyone couldn’t have seen that this would be where they’d look to strengthen

That's true but, in terms of the article itself, taking that McAllister quote and trying to pass it off as 'news' that we're going to try to sign better CB's seems like shit journalism to me.

16 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

5-5 anyone can see what's wrong?, but has anyone stopped for a moment and thought, where did our goals come from?, the forwards weren't exactly covering themselves in glory either the amount of goals scored took the spotlight off of them, agreed first priority is defence but by fuck we also badly need a proper goalscorer.

So your blaming the forwards for scoring too many goals. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

You think the DoF didn’t ask Stevie if he wanted Arfield, you don’t think Arfield asked if he was in the new managers plans. 

Gerrard had the option to Veto it but was fine with the transfer, he’s still not his signing tho.

28 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

As I said in a later post it’s obvious to everyone we have a problem in defence and they will need to address it but building from the back is very specific. In other words you put most (if not all) of your transfer kitty into getting the right people in goal, centre back and central midfield. When Smith came back he signed 3 centre backs and a strong central midfielder. He didnt sign a wide player or a striker.

I have no doubt we’ll buy defenders but is the team going to be built around that strong core or are we just bringing in players all over the park and trying to get them to gel?

Its all about how you interpret building from the back, if you think differently to the above the fair enough the article is on the money but for me i’ll only believe they are building from the back if we see signings prioritised to that effect (with Arfield not being a centre back, goalkeeper or a natural central midfielder I’m suggesting it’s not happened yet).

I interpret your new assistant manager saying it’s obvious where the problem is, as we need to sort the defence. 

Now you can moan and be pedantic about him not exactly saying build from the back. But he is the first guy in years to say our defence is shit and needs sorted, so that will do for me. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I interpret your new assistant manager saying it’s obvious where the problem is, as we need to sort the defence. 

Now you can moan and be pedantic about him not exactly saying build from the back. But he is the first guy in years to say our defence is shit and needs sorted, so that will do for me. 

Don’t get me wrong I hope we are focussing on defence, just tired of these sensationalistic media headlines when it’s someone trying to read between the lines and speculating.

3 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Gerrard had the option to Veto it but was fine with the transfer, he’s still not his signing tho.

Jeez talk about pedantic loyal in this thread. 

So let’s see, the DoF gets the ok from Stevie that he is taking the job. He informs Stevie that they have been talking to Arflield and does he want those talks to continue, Stevie says yes.

We then have Stevie saying that it’s a team effort when it comes to players with the DoF and his assistant and Stevie and his team all working together on identifying players and deciding who comes in. 

But Arfield isn’t his singing. ?? Ok then.