***** The Official Ryder Cup 2018 Thread *****

The 42nd Ryder Cup Match

Friday 28th September to Sunday 30th September 2018

Venue: L’ Albatros Course, Le Golf National- Paris

The countdown is on towards this year’s Ryder Cup in September and there will be huge expectation on the European team to win the Trophy back from America.

Thomas Bjorn also has the tough task of also maintaining a 25 year record, where Europe have not lost at home, since 1993 under Bernhard Gallagher.

The qualification process is now open and underway, with the team starting to shape up nicely and it is clear that Bjorn will have one of the strongest European Teams at his disposal, adding to that the change which will see the team have 4 wildcard selections as well, should see the strongest team on the course.

Current qualifying standings are as follows:-

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose, Jon Rham, Ross Fisher (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Tommy Fleetwood, Paul Dunne, Rory McIlroy, Alexander Levy & Sergio Garcia

European Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Sergio Garcia, Alex Noren (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Justin Rose, Jon Rham, Tyrell Hatton, Ian Poulter, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Paul Casey

On the basis of the 8 who have qualified above it is great to see Rham, Hatton, Fleetwood and Noren in line to make their debuts, but experience will be needed to back them up, so would expect guys like Stenson, Casey, Cabrera Bello, Poulter, Pieters all to be considered with the option there for old timers like Westwood, Kaymer, Donald & McDowell to try and regain form and earn a slot.

Will keep the progress updated as things change over the coming weeks and months.

Really strong team potentially. Ideally I would like to see at least

Rory, Rahm, Garcia, Stenson, Fleetwood, Casey, Rose, Noren and Poulter involved.

The return of Casey is huge IMO and the introduction of Noren and Rahm too. They've improved so much and have also shown great pedigree in a variety of match play tournaments. The added bonus is the revival of Poulter. If I'm honest i had written him off but fair play to him he's really turned it on this season on the PGA tour. He MUST play IMO although with his recent form he might not even need to be a captain's pick.

USA team looks pretty frightening too.

Spieth, Thomas, DJ, Reed, Koepka, Fowler, Kuchar, Mickelson etc then you have the revival of Woods, Watson, Walker and guys like Simpson, Dufner playing out of their skin not to mention breakthroughs from the likes of Finau, Schauffele, DeChambeau etc.

Either way it's going to be pretty epic!

6 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Really strong team potentially. Ideally I would like to see at least

Rory, Rahm, Garcia, Stenson, Fleetwood, Casey, Rose, Noren and Poulter involved.

The return of Casey is huge IMO and the introduction of Noren and Rahm too. They've improved so much and have also shown great pedigree in a variety of match play tournaments. The added bonus is the revival of Poulter. If I'm honest i had written him off but fair play to him he's really turned it on this season on the PGA tour. He MUST play IMO although with his recent form he might not even need to be a captain's pick.

USA team looks pretty frightening too.

Spieth, Thomas, DJ, Reed, Koepka, Fowler, Kuchar, Mickelson etc then you have the revival of Woods, Watson, Walker and guys like Simpson, Dufner playing out of their skin not to mention breakthroughs from the likes of Finau, Schauffele, DeChambeau etc.

Either way it's going to be pretty epic!

Yeah I think Casey is a big time player, add in Rham, Noren and Fleetwood who have been outstanding on a world stage it’s a strong team.

Actually like Hatton as a player, tenacious wee bugger who is surprising long too, will be a good player too have. 

Poulter is really playing well just now too.

My twelve would be:

Rose, McIlroy, Stenson, Rham, Garcia, Casey, Fleetwood, Noren, Cabrerra Bello, Hatton, Poulter, Pieters 

But Ross Fisher has played his way into a position and has played before so it’s experience too.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah I think Casey is a big time player, add in Rham, Noren and Fleetwood who have been outstanding on a world stage it’s a strong team.

Actually like Hatton as a player, tenacious wee bugger who is surprising long too, will be a good player too have. 

Poulter is really playing well just now too.

My twelve would be:

Rose, McIlroy, Stenson, Rham, Garcia, Casey, Fleetwood, Noren, Cabrerra Bello, Hatton, Poulter, Pieters 

But Ross Fisher has played his way into a position and has played before so it’s experience too.

On his game Hatton is fantastic but his temperament is very questionable. He can lose his shit so quickly. In fairness big Rahm can be have a bit of a temper on him too.

Bello is solid. Pieters is a tough one. You can't forget what he's done in the last Ryder Cup but at the same time he needs to show a bit of more consistent form soon.

Already Noren and Stenson. Rahm and Garcia. Maybe Rory and Poulter. And Rose and Casey have the potential makings of some pretty top pairings.

3 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

On his game Hatton is fantastic but his temperament is very questionable. He can lose his shit so quickly. In fairness big Rahm can be have a bit of a temper on him too.

Bello is solid. Pieters is a tough one. You can't forget what he's done in the last Ryder Cup but at the same time he needs to show a bit of more consistent form soon.

Already Noren and Stenson. Rahm and Garcia. Maybe Rory and Poulter. And Rose and Casey have the potential makings of some pretty top pairings.

Yeah Pieters needs to find some form to be considered.

The outsider that so like is Levy. Think he is an underrated player and you can see already that he is bursting a gut to try and qualify. Think with it being in Paris he is going for it.

You also forget a player like Russell Knox who is very talented but just needs to get some form too.

Team could be real quality and depth too.

Molinari throwing himself into the mix with a pretty flawless win at the BMW. Only 2 bogeys all week and bogey free final 2 rounds with the likes of Rory, Noren and Fisher all lurking, who all put in further solid performances again. Rose and Rahm doing well in US too......

Huge weekend for the European team with Molinari and Rose winning, but also for players on the European tour with points being accumulated at the rate of 1.5 now instead of 1.

Standings as of today for the team are now:

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy and Francesco Molinari (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: John Rham, Ross Fisher, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Alex Noren, Tommy Fleetwood 

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rham, Tommy Fleetwood, Alex Noren and Sergio Garcia (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ian Poulter, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Paul Casey and Henrick Stenson 

Team is looking very strong already.

This has the makings of an epic tournament, US rightful winners last time, europe will want that trophy back badly, but fuck picking a winner when you see the potential lineups, europe will be slight bookies favs id imagine purely down to the fact they can shape the course as they see fit, expect lots of heavy rough, narrow fairways and lots of sandtraps halfway along the holes

Another week closer and a lot of movement in the standings with some big players making a charge for the team.

Molinari following up a win with a second place has almost assured him a place on the team and a very welcome one too, experienced, composed and will bring a lot to the table.

Oleson winning has propelled him into contention on the European list.

Cabrera Bello also claiming a spot and pushing Garcia out of the automatic positions.

Qualified as of today: Francesco Molinari, Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy  (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Thorbjorn Oleson, John Rham, Ross Fisher, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Rafa Cabrera-Bello,

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rham,Tommy Fleetwood, Alex Noren and Rafa Cabrera-Bello (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Sergio Garcia, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey and Henrick Stenson 

Europe certainly look like they are building a string team to compete this time.

There's also the outside chance of a veteran. Westwood, Kaymer and G Mac have been showing some decent form of late. 

Good to see Pieters get something going too. An in form Pieters could be a massive addition.

DeChambeau looking like a potential solid addition to the USA team as well.

A quite week just passed in terms of qualifying with many of the big names taking the week off in preperation for the US Open this week.

DJ winning in america just makes his positipn on the american team even more secure.

There could be big moves this week though with increased points attached to majors, meaning a good performance and finish may just shoot you up the standings and into contention.

After the second major of the season there has been some big moves on the european qualifying rankings; Fleetwood & Hatton have all but sealed their places on the team, Fitzpatrick has made a bug move with a good finish as well.

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Rose and Francesco Molinari  (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Rory McIlroy, Thorbjorn Oleson, John Rham, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ross Fisher

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rham, Rory McIlroy, Alex Noren and Matthew Fitzpatrick (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Ian Poulter, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Henrick Stenson, Sergio Garcia, Paul Casey

The big changes have seen McIroy fallout of the europen points route and take a slot on the world points list, Cabrera Belloe falling out all together despite having an okay US Open and with 4 of the 8 slots currently held by rookies, the team looks strong, but Bjorn will be hoping for some big players to make a push over the coming weeks and months.

The American team looks strong too:

Reed, Thomas, Johnson, Speith, Koepka, Fowler, Watson, Mickelson holding the 8 qualifying slots at present.

Cant wait until September.

Another week closer and some player movement.

Casey has made a big move, but had he held on and won would have been more secure. Likewise has Oleson managed to win in Germany he himself would have went into the qualifying positions.

Oleson has jumped past McIlroy and is close to overtaking Molinari on the European points list.

Casey has jumped into the 4th qualifying slot on the World list at the expense of Fitzpatrick.

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Justin Rose and Francesco Molinari  (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Thorbjorn Oleson, Rory McIlroy,, John Rham, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ross Fisher

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rham, Rory McIlroy, Alex Noren and Paul Casey (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ian Poulter, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Sergio Garcia, & Henrik Stenson

The American team has seen changes on position and Mickleson dropping out at the expense of DeChambeau:

Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson,  Speith, Fowler, DeChambeau holding the 8 qualifying slots at present.

Massive week ahead. The European tour heads to France this week, the course for the Ryder Cup.

Anyone who wins here or does well gives themselves a huge shout to make the team.

Rahm, Garcia, Bello, Hatton, Fleetwood, Poulter, Olesen, Pieters, Wallace, Noren, Kaymer, Fitzpatrick, Fisher, Sullivan, Levy, Westwood, Lowry, Bjerregaard,Dunne and Knox all teeing up for Europe. 

Notable mention to Justin Thomas too who's the only big name American to make the trip. Good for the European Tour to have him here.........

11 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Massive week ahead. The European tour heads to France this week, the course for the Ryder Cup.

Anyone who wins here or does well gives themselves a huge shout to make the team.

Rahm, Garcia, Bello, Hatton, Fleetwood, Poulter, Olesen, Pieters, Wallace, Noren, Kaymer, Fitzpatrick, Fisher, Sullivan, Levy, Westwood, Lowry, Bjerregaard,Dunne and Knox all teeing up for Europe. 

Notable mention to Justin Thomas too who's the only big name American to make the trip. Good for the European Tour to have him here.........

Didn’t realise Thomas is playing. Good on him for doing so, I like that from him to come over and get involved. 

I’m shocked a few more on the European side aren’t playing tbh.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Didn’t realise Thomas is playing. Good on him for doing so, I like that from him to come over and get involved. 

I’m shocked a few more on the European side aren’t playing tbh.

Aye I would have thought Stenson, Rory and the like may have come over. Quite a decent field nonetheless.

And yeah fair play to Thomas. A little surprised no other Americans have made the effort. Any of them on the edge and looking for a wild card could have staked a huge claim with a big performance. Also shows a little lack of priorities, scheduling and common sense IMO. With The Open coming up you could have easily set up your calender to play the French, Scottish and The Open as well as fit in a wee rest around them. Certainly what I would have done with The Open and Ryder Cup surely the two most prestigious events left remaining in the season.

13 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Aye I would have thought Stenson, Rory and the like may have come over. Quite a decent field nonetheless.

And yeah fair play to Thomas. A little surprised no other Americans have made the effort. Any of them on the edge and looking for a wild card could have staked a huge claim with a big performance. Also shows a little lack of priorities, scheduling and common sense IMO. With The Open coming up you could have easily set up your calender to play the French, Scottish and The Open as well as fit in a wee rest around them. Certainly what I would have done with The Open and Ryder Cup surely the two most prestigious events left remaining in the season.

Yeah of the players not there I thought stenson, mcilroy for sure but Mcdowell has a great record at the Paris course, Molinari is one good performance away really. 

Even thought you might get Casey and Rose doing a bit of those events too.

That’s why I like Reed because he comes over here and I’d happy doing it too, whereas a lot of the Americans turn up for the open and away.

5 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah of the players not there I thought stenson, mcilroy for sure but Mcdowell has a great record at the Paris course, Molinari is one good performance away really. 

Even thought you might get Casey and Rose doing a bit of those events too.

That’s why I like Reed because he comes over here and I’d happy doing it too, whereas a lot of the Americans turn up for the open and away.

I guess Casey seemed to have put all his eggs in the PGA tour basket, just falling short at the weekend but still making another good move up the rankings.

Totally forgot about Molinari. Can only assume he's a little fatigued after playing a lot recently, at a high level. Still a surprise though.

I was actually going to mention Reed. He gets a bit of a bad reputation, a lot of which is blown out of proportion IMO but I like him. Keeps himself to himself, doesn't seem to worry about what anyone else thinks and is one of the few Americans who plays globally around the world in Asia and Europe. Not surprisingly he's in the field for The Scottish Open as is Fowler and Kuch.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I guess Casey seemed to have put all his eggs in the PGA tour basket, just falling short at the weekend but still making another good move up the rankings.

Totally forgot about Molinari. Can only assume he's a little fatigued after playing a lot recently, at a high level. Still a surprise though.

I was actually going to mention Reed. He gets a bit of a bad reputation, a lot of which is blown out of proportion IMO but I like him. Keeps himself to himself, doesn't seem to worry about what anyone else thinks and is one of the few Americans who plays globally around the world in Asia and Europe. Not surprisingly he's in the field for The Scottish Open as is Fowler and Kuch.

Just noticed Mcdowell is playing but molinari is a strange one not to be there.

The rules for qualifying have been changed to benefit guys like Casey, only had to play 4 or 5 events which is easier if he bases himself in America.

Line up looks great for this week. 

Think a few bets might be needed.

Those three Americans are the ones who like to play here abs have had success so why not come back. More should do the same.

Noren wins the French. He'll big a big player for us.

Knox finishes 2nd to give himself a chance. Good showings from Garcia, Rahm and Chris Wood too (all top 10). Decent showings from Hatton, Poulter, Fitzpatrick, Sullivan and Pieters.

Kaymer missed cut at +11, Fisher missed cut at +9, Olesen missed cut at +7. Fleetwood and Cabrera Bello missed cut, just at +5 but Fleetwood will be fine, Cabrera Bello probably too.

Suri is an interesting one for USA. Finished solo 3rd. Next to no chance of making it beforehand and probably still very unlikely but he played the final round with Thomas and outplayed and outscored him.

Molinari's decision to not play seemed strange but he's currently 7 ahead with 6 to play on the PGA Tour, ripping the field apart which includes Woods, Fowler, Leishman, and a few other notablenames. It would be his first win in USA I believe. Big statement.

7 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Will be interesting how that course plays at the end of September,I'm guessing that the rough will be cut away to nothing by then.

It’s def be cut back but not to nothing as that would benefit the Americans.

They hate course where accuracy is key over length, so the rough will be managed accordingly.