***** The Official Ryder Cup 2018 Thread *****

2 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Who would everyone’s 4 picks be ? 

Poulter, Wallace, Cabrera bello and Casey or Pieters. Garcia has been terrible this year and shouldn’t be considered imo, Should Stenson be considered? 

I think Casey & Poulter are def picks. 

Poulter has had a very consistent season. Casey changed his schedule to suit make himself available, for that I think he will be picked.

The other two it’s open. Wallace is the firm player.

I think he will take Stenson over Garcia.

4 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Poulter has had a very consistent season. Casey changed his schedule to suit make himself available, for that I think he will be picked.

Just said that Stenson is carrying an elbow injury. Maybe not then.

15 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Am I the only one that wouldn't pick Casey?

We all know the reasons before when he wouldn't play the allotted amount of European tournaments, well he now changed his mind and failed to qualify so I struggle to see why he should be considered in front of cabrerro-belo or Pieters both who never let us down last time round, as you say stenson is carrying an injury so it may not be too academic, form wise Garcia should be staying in the house but we all know what he brings to the table so he will definitely get picked and poulter probably has played his way into a captains pick with some strong showings, all in all its a strong team but as you said their are 5 rookies 6 if we pick Casey so it will be tough as the yanks team looks awesome just now.

53 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

We all know the reasons before when he wouldn't play the allotted amount of European tournaments, well he now changed his mind and failed to qualify so I struggle to see why he should be considered in front of cabrerro-belo or Pieters both who never let us down last time round, as you say stenson is carrying an injury so it may not be too academic, form wise Garcia should be staying in the house but we all know what he brings to the table so he will definitely get picked and poulter probably has played his way into a captains pick with some strong showings, all in all its a strong team but as you said their are 5 rookies 6 if we pick Casey so it will be tough as the yanks team looks awesome just now.

After yesterday I have tweaked my 4. I think you have to take Poulter and Wallace. I personally also think that Pieters is a must. His previous performance was sensational and he's showing some form too. His length is so important too, to compete against the likes of Koepka, Johnson, Thomas etc.

That then leaves Casey, Garcia, Stenson and Bello really. On reflection Garcia and Stenson don't deserve it IMO. Just saying that though sounds mental to choose not to pick two major winning experienced elite world class players but they've just not done enough.

I therefore think it's Casey or Bello. I would go with Casey. I'm a big fan of his and he's a great match play player. It's really tough though. Bello can still win today. If he does he's in.

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

After yesterday I have tweaked my 4. I think you have to take Poulter and Wallace. I personally also think that Pieters is a must. His previous performance was sensational and he's showing some form too. His length is so important too to compete against the likes of Koepka, Johnson, Thomas etc.

That then leaves Casey, Garcia, Stenson and Bello really. On reflection Garcia and Stenson don't deserve IMO. Just saying that though sounds mental to choose not to pick two major winning experienced elite world class players but they've just not done enough.

I therefore think it's Casey or Bello. I would go with Casey. I'm a big fan of his and he's a great match play player. It's really tough though. Bello can still win today. If he does he's in.

Pieters and Belo both hit the ball a country mile which in greensomes is a big advantage especially as you say if they are drawn against a DJ or Kopeka where it becomes a leveller, I do get why people will want Casey as he will be the most experienced rookie on planet earth but it would be hard for me to leave the Ryder cup experience of Poulter, Stenson and Garcia in the house at the expense of Casey who basically had no care for playing in it the last 10yrs

2 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I think the one thing casey has in his favour is experience a with so many rookies, 6 if Wallace gets in, you need that.

Also he has won this season unlike many of the others.

If Cabrera Bello gets a good finish tonight I think he may get in alongside Wallace, Poulter and Casey.

Wouldn't shock me though to see bjorn go for experience and include Stenson and Garcia, Poulter and Casey scared of having 5 rookies which would be harsh on Wallace. 

I wouldn't have picked Stenson. Done nothing for months and is carrying a knock. Big call to make. Hopefully Stenson plays well this weekend and returns to the Stenson of old in Paris though.

Also there's every chance Wallace plays well, possibly even wins again on the European tour this weekend, which would make the decision all the more awkward for Bjorn.

Can see why bjorn has picked these 4, he wants the experience and the team bonding part.

Rose basically said Wallace however good is new on tour, so would have been trickier to get him into the team etc. 

Big pressure on Stenson and Garcia to perform now.

Fancy Finau to get final American slot.

6 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Garcia and Stenson are huge risks, reminds me of Westwood at the last one, picked on record and experience rather than form. 

The last Ryder cup more so Westwood than Poulter  looked like 1 Ryder cup to many for the pair.....the fact that most people are in agreement that Poulter is a no brainer for this 1 just goes to show the upturn in form Poulter has produced in the last year since coming back from injury 

Did anyone notice the awkward moment when David Livingston was talking to Stenson and was saying to him that 1day he will be a Ryder cup captain..... he proceeded to ask Stenson if he would of picked himself as a wild card going on this season...... I'm not convinced the big man was to enamoured with the question but dodged it by saying "well I certainly wouldn't pick you David"  before side stepping the captaincy talk and moving back to the fact he is concentrating on his playing career for now.