***** The Official Ryder Cup 2018 Thread *****

The last Ryder cup was tough on Clarke with the amount of rookies that automatically qualified , I think it was 5, no harm to Sullivan & Fitzpatrick but I personally thought they struggled with the occasion and didn't really produce the golf that they had been playing all year round, on the other hand big Pieters & Bello absolutely excelled in the environment, I can't help but feel sorry for both players that they haven't made the team, I think the 6 rookies played a big part in Bjorn sticking with the 4 old heads, as good as some of the rookies can be again for some the occasion might be an issue....hopefully not.

On a side note regarding the yanks.....we all know why Tiger was picked and his form since his comeback is up there where he would have automatically qualified if he hadn't been out injured for the majority of the qualifying period BUT his Ryder cup record is pretty poor, its not like its an overnight thing, his poor record stretches back to the days when he dominated the sport, even then he had a so so record in Ryder cups, I feel he has been picked on name alone rather than what he offers the yank team.....in contrast to us picking Sergio...... if one player on current form should not be there then its Sergio but you look at his Ryder cup record and you are left in awe and realise we need Sergio in that team.

17 hours ago, hammer93 said:

The last Ryder cup was tough on Clarke with the amount of rookies that automatically qualified , I think it was 5, no harm to Sullivan & Fitzpatrick but I personally thought they struggled with the occasion and didn't really produce the golf that they had been playing all year round, on the other hand big Pieters & Bello absolutely excelled in the environment, I can't help but feel sorry for both players that they haven't made the team, I think the 6 rookies played a big part in Bjorn sticking with the 4 old heads, as good as some of the rookies can be again for some the occasion might be an issue....hopefully not.

On a side note regarding the yanks.....we all know why Tiger was picked and his form since his comeback is up there where he would have automatically qualified if he hadn't been out injured for the majority of the qualifying period BUT his Ryder cup record is pretty poor, its not like its an overnight thing, his poor record stretches back to the days when he dominated the sport, even then he had a so so record in Ryder cups, I feel he has been picked on name alone rather than what he offers the yank team.....in contrast to us picking Sergio...... if one player on current form should not be there then its Sergio but you look at his Ryder cup record and you are left in awe and realise we need Sergio in that team.

Yup, you look at Europes team and there's a lot of rookies with no ryder cup history, he needed history in it, the 4 wildcards have a good record for us (think maybe medinah they all won their singles match especially given the situation)Ā 

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yup, you look at Europes team and there's a lot of rookies with no ryder cup history, he needed history in it, the 4 wildcards have a good record for us (think maybe medinah they all won their singles match especially given the situation)Ā 

Apart from Casey.....its 12years since he played but get what you're saying, with 6 rookies this time round we need as much experience we can muster from the other 6?

3 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Good to see McIlroy, Noren, Rahm and Rose all play well last night. Need to get some form going.

Important that Stenson has started well too.

The fairways areĀ ridiculously generous though. Any player not shooting under par is criminal.

On ā€Ž03ā€Ž/ā€Ž09ā€Ž/ā€Ž2018 at 12:31, hammer93 said:

Pieters and Belo both hit the ball a country mile which in greensomes is a big advantage especially as you say if they are drawn against a DJ or Kopeka where it becomes a leveller, I do get why people will want Casey as he will be the most experienced rookie on planet earth but it would be hard for me to leave the Ryder cup experience of Poulter, Stenson and Garcia in the house at the expense of Casey who basically had no care for playing in it the last 10yrs

Big hitters?Ā  I'm pretty certain Casey is a reasonably big hitter himself.Ā  McIlroy can bomb it as well.Ā 

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Some great rounds from the Europeans, with Rory, Rose, Rahm, Molinari all going low andĀ Fleetwood has just gone 62 62!

Always brilliant to see the British lads doing well yet again. Tommy Fleetwood can blow hot or cold like most golfers however when he goes hot he's the one of the most exciting players around. Hope he wins it tomorrow.

Ā 

The picks, outside of Garcia look to be playing ok, he is the one doubt as nobody knows what he will play like.

Think this could be superb. Im away to Portugal 20-27 and think might go take in a day it the Portuguese Open, fly home on Saturday he Thursday then Friday Ā off up at 6.30 for Ryder Cup.

Great planning from me.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

The most overated sporting event in the calendar, don't mind the matchplay format - but never really got into supporting "Europe", it all seems a bit forced in my opinion.

i have been to 2 ryder cups both in usaĀ  over the years i have been lucky enough to be at a world cup european finals champions league final etc but the ryder cup is a great eventĀ  Ā my last one was 2014 at medinah and it was the most exciting sporting event i have been at

Rahm will either do a Pieters and light it up or he'll lose his shit and smash Patrick Reed across theĀ chops with his driver. There will be no in between with him.Ā 

Hard to look against Rose.

Think Fleetwood is good value. I like Noren too but he may not play every match.

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Rahm will either do a Pieters and light it up or he'll lose his shit and smash Patrick Reed across theĀ chops with his driver. There will be no in between with him.Ā 

Think Fleetwood is good value. I like Noren too but he may not play every match.

I might ask for a price on Rahm and the driver Reed combo, that sounds delightful.

16 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I'm think of patching BigSasa and just going Rose.

13 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I'm think of patching BigSasa and just going Rose.

It really could be anyone. It's quite difficult to pick one and there's not a lot of value in terms of prices. You also have a fair chance of a dead heat which could reduce any return.Ā 

On paper though Rose is the man on form and is proven in the Ryder Cup too.

Ā