Bronzy

Connor Goldson (Brighton)

2 minutes ago, Siwel said:

We should be asking for closer to 5million

We should be taking the first really fair but realistic offer that comes in for our dross including Tav and 3.5 million is fine. 

It was only Christmas last season the same folk were saying we should be insisting for 7/8 million from Leipzig for McKay and we got 500k from Forrest for him. Reality check man. 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

We should be taking the first really fair but realistic offer that comes in for our dross including Tav and 3.5 million is fine. 

It was only Christmas last season the same folk were saying we should be insisting for 7/8 million from Leipzig for McKay and we got 500k from Forrest for him. Reality check man. 

Leipzig were never in for McKay tho I thought so hardly comparable. I agree about accepting reasonable offers for the rest of them but while I don’t want Tav to stay he a player who won’t be short of suitors this window so we should be trying to get his price up as high as we can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

Leipzig were never in for McKay tho I thought so hardly comparable. I agree about accepting reasonable offers for the rest of them but while I don’t want Tav to stay he a player who won’t be short of suitors this window so we should be trying to get his price up as high as we can.

How do you know they weren't? and how do we know for 100% fact that Swansea are in for Tav? you are taking the same media story and passing one off are more credible than the other to suit your viewpoint.

My point is about this "let's get something unrealistic for our crap players" 

Just now, K.A.I said:

How do you know they weren't? and how do we know for 100% fact that Swansea are in for Tav? you are taking the same media story and passing one off are more credible than the other to suit your viewpoint.

My point is about this "let's get something unrealistic for our crap players" 

Is it not Crystal Palace that’s in for Tav?

And my point is about driving the price up for players who we won’t have much trouble finding a buyer for. If it’s some cunt like Herrera or Pena, accept anything we get offered off the bat but players like Tav we can and should get more for.

Just now, Siwel said:

Is it not Crystal Palace that’s in for Tav?

And my point is about driving the price up for players who we won’t have much trouble finding a buyer for. If it’s some cunt like Herrera or Pena, accept anything we get offered off the bat but players like Tav we can and should get more for.

But there's a fine line.

We all want to get as much as we can for any players we don't need, but you also run the risk of sending them to look elsewhere if you are coming across as a cowboy.

Swansea, Palace, whoever that's wanting to pay 3.5 million for Tav for all we know they might have a set budget of that for a right back and want the business done early, we start hitting them with 6-million and they move swiftly onto the next target. I don't mind squeezing a wee bit but let's be realistic here eh ... we need cash, we need an exedous, let's not cut our nose off to spite our face chasing something mental.

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

But there's a fine line.

We all want to get as much as we can for any players we don't need, but you also run the risk of sending them to look elsewhere if you are coming across as a cowboy.

Swansea, Palace, whoever that's wanting to pay 3.5 million for Tav for all we know they might have a set budget of that for a right back and want the business done early, we start hitting them with 6-million and they move swiftly onto the next target. I don't mind squeezing a wee bit but let's be realistic here eh ... we need cash, we need an exedous, let's not cut our nose off to spite our face chasing something mental.

I’m not saying go up to them and tell them 6million or no deal but tell them what our valuation is for me would be about 5 million and meet in the middle somewhere

Just now, Siwel said:

I’m not saying go up to them and tell them 6million or no deal but tell them what our valuation is for me would be about 5 million and meet in the middle somewhere

The fact you think Tav's real valuation is 5-million is frightening. 

The fact you think Tav's real valuation is 5-million is frightening. 

Why shouldn’t it be? I’m not saying that’s what we’ll get for him I’d take £4million but we should be driving the price up for our players, I don’t like Tav but he has obvious talent.

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

Why shouldn’t it be? I’m not saying that’s what we’ll get for him I’d take £4million but we should be driving the price up for our players, I don’t like Tav but he has obvious talent.

Why would you take a million less than you thought he was worth after saying we should be holding out for the most we should? :confused:

In fairness when I was your age, I probably thought the likes of Guivarc'h was worth 10 million and we shouldn't be selling. 

Oh here we fuckin go.

Our players are shite take what we can get and be grateful.

Tav would easily do a job at a mid-table EPL club...easily.  Valuation for a mid-table EPL full back would be close to £10m.  

And before the "he got raped by Barker" shit...yes he did.  IT was pretty much his one mistake in the game, getting skinned in the 90th minute after putting in a shift against a flying winger who's just came on, and being left one on one against him. Where was the cover, the doubling up, the central defender covering the near post....where was all of that?  Every full back, whether your Dani Alves or Andy Robertson, gets skinned by a winger just about every game...every season.  Tav might not be the best full-back we've ever had but he's much much better than many will ever give him credit for. People wait on the mistake and use it as a stick to beat him with....ignoring the 90% non-mistakes.   I personally hope he stays with us next season for three reasons.  

1.  We can't afford better...a better full back than Tav would likely cost more than we sell him for.  Unless we get lucky.

2.  We don't need a better full back!  We need a stronger cover for the position.

3.  Better central defenders, positionally and awareness, would strengthen the team more than losing Tav.  He's exactly what we need in a title winning team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Swansea got relegated though. 

No 6-million even 5-million is ridiculous, he's not even close to being a player of that caliber. People need to be realistic England or not.

£3.5m - £5m is realistic.

Just now, DeanMK said:

£3.5m - £5m is realistic.

2-million is fair, 3.5-million is great business ... 5 or 6 million is just bonkers but I'd still take it, obviously.

2-million is fair, 3.5-million is great business ... 5 or 6 million is just bonkers but I'd still take it, obviously.

I think £2m would be shooting ourselves in the foot. He's probably one of the few valuable assets we have in the squad and I honestly believe if he's being sold. The fee will land somewhere between the figures I mentioned.

1 minute ago, DeanMK said:

I think £2m would be shooting ourselves in the foot. He's probably one of the few valuable assets we have in the squad and I honestly believe if he's being sold. The fee will land somewhere between the figures I mentioned.

He's 1 of only 4 in the squad I think we could get some half-decent cash for Morelos, Windass and Fod being the others. 

2m is defo fair in my eyes but the people saying we shouldn't take anyone's first offer and squeeze as much as we can, who's to say whoever wants him haven't already came in with 2 and we've negotiated upto 3.5 million?

To flip it again, we as a club always make a royal balls of everything so where's the optimism that we are professional enough to neogtiate upto 5 or 6 million and actually get it, without chasing the buyers off for being cheeky bastards? we can't even have our new Hummel kits (after paying Sports Direct 3 million a year ago to fuck off) out months before Christmas according to our SLO a short while ago ... where does the faith come from that causes us to live in this fantasy land where we will get upto 6 million for James Taverneir? serious question.

Take the 3.5 million as far as I'm concerned and just get it banked in Gerrard's kitty and wave goodbye to a stupid wee imposter.

No different from selling a car...ask for 5, end up with 4. Guy offers full asking price first offer you've made a cunt of it.

Just now, Big Al II said:

No different from selling a car...ask for 5, end up with 4. Guy offers full asking price first offer you've made a cunt of it.

Sounds great but my old business was in commerce and dealing with goods for resale both new, used - if someone came into my shop and offered me x amount for something and I tried that formula and asked for more, sometimes they just walked out.

It's not fool proof. 

Take the 3.5 million ... it's a good price and very fair 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Sounds great but my old business was in commerce and dealing with goods for resale both new, used - if someone came into my shop and offered me x amount for something and I tried that formula and asked for more, sometimes they just walked out.

It's not fool proof. 

Take the 3.5 million ... it's a good price and very fair 

In your opinion it is. I think with the inflated market in the EPL there will be very little haggling over another 500k-1m. If they want him enough and decide to stand firm we can still sell him for the 3.5m.

24 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Oh here we fuckin go.

Tav would easily do a job at a mid-table EPL club...easily.  Valuation for a mid-table EPL full back would be close to £10m.  

And before the "he got raped by Barker" shit...yes he did.  IT was pretty much his one mistake in the game, getting skinned in the 90th minute after putting in a shift against a flying winger who's just came on, and being left one on one against him. Where was the cover, the doubling up, the central defender covering the near post....where was all of that?  Every full back, whether your Dani Alves or Andy Robertson, gets skinned by a winger just about every game...every season.  Tav might not be the best full-back we've ever had but he's much much better than many will ever give him credit for. People wait on the mistake and use it as a stick to beat him with....ignoring the 90% non-mistakes.   I personally hope he stays with us next season for three reasons.  

1.  We can't afford better...a better full back than Tav would likely cost more than we sell him for.  Unless we get lucky.

2.  We don't need a better full back!  We need a stronger cover for the position.

3.  Better central defenders, positionally and awareness, would strengthen the team more than losing Tav.  He's exactly what we need in a title winning team.

It’s not the first time Barker done it though, had a shocker in the first Easter Road game against him

• Like 1

Just now, Big Al II said:

In your opinion it is. I think with the inflated market in the EPL there will be very little haggling over another 500k-1m. If they want him enough and decide to stand firm we can still sell him for the 3.5m.

It's not an opinion it's fact as it's happened to me in my old business, that's not a matter of opinion,  and as I said earlier, people are discounting that whatever team we are talking about might need a right back asap, have others in mind, came in with an offer, we play hard ball they move swiftly on. Incredibly neive to assume that would never happen and we could be left with someone we wanted out the door all because we've got a bit greedy. celtic and Brighton and Dembele in January springs to mind. 

By all means if we can get 6 million for him then shit hot but sometimes it's good to take the money/the sure thing. 

The bit in bold is an "if" ... if they decide they want him enough - what if they don't? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Oh here we fuckin go.

your probably correct given he has a loser mentality about him and not mentally tough enouhj to play for us. but playing at that level or below means there will be no pressure to win every game and some defeats are acceptable which will suit him down to the ground

2 hours ago, Siwel said:

“He will easily be the best defender in Scotland, twice the player of any other defender in the league if he comes. I cannot stress how highly this boy is rated.”

where have we heard that before apart from with every CB we’ve signed since 2016 

Yip spot on how can anyoney say this without actually watching him play consecutively, Ive been hearing this all to often with players who will easily be the best in the league in that position, there are no guarantees as kranjcar, Barton, Alves & Dorrans have proved in the last 2 seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

It’s not the first time Barker done it though, had a shocker in the first Easter Road game against him

I never even seen his post in amongst all the other replies. 

The first part of what he says "our players are shite take what we can get for them" .. correct, he said it himself. Get the dross out and let's not scare suitors away with ridiculous negotiations ...6 million for James Tavernier ffs .. even 5 ... fantasy land stuff.

I'm waiting on someone saying the old line about celtic getting top dollar for their players while we down value ours and moan we don't get good money from player sales - these people always ignore the fact that these celtic players, as unpalatable as it sounds, have won titles, played in the Champions League and more often than not full internationals. James Tavernier has won a Ramsdens Cup and plays right back in one of the worst Rangers teams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It's not an opinion it's fact as it's happened to me in my old business, that's not a matter of opinion,  and as I said earlier, people are discounting that whatever team we are talking about might need a right back asap, have others in mind, came in with an offer, we play hard ball they move swiftly on. Incredibly neive to assume that would never happen and we could be left with someone we wanted out the door all because we've got a bit greedy. celtic and Brighton and Dembele in January springs to mind. 

By all means if we can get 6 million for him then shit hot but sometimes it's good to take the money/the sure thing. 

The bit in bold is an "if" ... if they decide they want him enough - what if they don't? 

what team nowadays has only 1 specific target for any position???  none and as u say if we try to come the cunt over the price teams will just walk away and go elsewhere

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It's your opinion it's a fair offer.

3 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

It's your opinion it's a fair offer.

Yes that's a matter of opinion.

What's factual though is that sometimes people walk away if the price is too high/cheeky without bothering negotiating. It's happened with me in business, I've done it myself in shops and outlets and it's stupid to think it doesn't happen in football too.