Zenit St Petersberg v Rangers 10 years ago

Imagine we set up to actually win that game from the start, I get we played such defensive eye watering football the entire way to the final and probably didnt know much else.

But iirc Zenit were all about their attack that season battering teams all over the shop, even beating united in the super cup, should have tried to fight fire with fire IMO

zr1.png

Got a ticket from a local guy, £200 quid :duh:  Right near the corner, a few rows up in line with the 6 yard box.

Always see Nacho itching to get on as they warmed up and Walter held off and held off until it was too late for Nacho to do much.

Could have scored when he did come on. if Whittaker hadn't put him off. Walter did what worked for him in the games leading up the final but this wasa one off game and

he should have been braver in his tactics. Hey Ho that's another story.

Made a week holiday of it and it was amazing to watch the build up of all the fans arriving each day.

Think we arrived three days before the game. It was an amazing event and coming out after the game to find out all hell had broken loose

was baffling to say the least. Expecting to see bears still having a party in the squares. :cheers:  Didn't have any idea what had happened

when in the stadium. 

Watched the game in Vancouver.  Thought that teams were well matched but we should have used our bench earlier.  Not a great game to be honest but one that we might have won.  Afterwards, went for a long walk ............ still haven't fully recovered from that one.  Don't anticipate ever seeing us in another European final anytime soon.

Watched it in the house as I was too young for the pub! 

Gutted we didn’t win it. In fairness they were a great side, had plenty of rest before the game and had our old manager to boot.

It still to this day pisses me off thinking about the total contempt we were treated with back then. A Scottish club in a European cup final, with no help whatsoever and games wedged either side of it. 

Winning that cup would’ve been great not just for us, but for the whole of Scottish football. The co-eff would’ve increased, potentially 2 or 3 clubs in the CL, could’ve demanded a much better TV deal due to having European cup winners in the league etc.

However in Scotland, they hated us for it and would’ve rather seen us fail than do well for all. 

Fuck the SFA/SPFL. 

Fuck the clubs.

Fuck them all. 

I just wish we could apply to join the English league and leave this shithole to hate itself to death.

A fucking decade already:confused:

I travelled down a few days before and stayed at a mate's house in Lytham St Anne's which is fairly close to Manchester.

Couldn't get into the stadium so just soaked up the atmosphere. There was Bears everywhere in the local shops singing their hearts out.

Shite game which put me on a downer and I fucked off home.

Looking forward to the return of the Euro nights.

Travelled down early from the highlands, we hired a mini bus.  When we arrived first pub we went into told us there was no draft beer or cider left  it was 1pm ?  offered bottles of San Miguel.   Seen two guys outside with shopping trollies filled to the top with cases of beer. 

Ended up at the square then screens went off, ended up watching the game in downstairs bit of a pub....Lime bar after a stewards told us best place to see it yourself.  Was handing out cans of strongbow to bears and nearly got thrown out. 

Shit result but the fun was just starting on the streets.   Seen people camped out in tents at the train station, no pubs letting scottish fans in. 

Fun times...... shit result.

We were in Shakespeare's bar in hammamet, Tunisia at the time. Just wished Novo had started that game tbh. A few ruskie fans in too, they are volatile at best shall we say? Fuked up my holiday that result. Still hurts to this day. 

Lucky enough to be at the game , don’t think there was a dry eye in our end as Rangers came out to the best of you from the foo fighters or at the lap of honour at the end , didn’t feel like a loss just unreal to be there , just wish we’d scored to see the reaction 

My husband went to Manchester without a ticket and he wouldn't let me go. I was raging at the time but in hindsight it was for the best. I went to ibrox but the queue was far too long so I ended up going to Eddlewood Bowling Club to watch it with my weans.

Was at home, watching on TV.  It broke my heart that we never really tested their keeper, and we were playing 90 mins of defensive football. All i can remember as a chance we created is a one that Nacho missed at the end of the game.

22 hours ago, MattyBlue said:

Imagine we set up to actually win that game from the start, I get we played such defensive eye watering football the entire way to the final and probably didnt know much else.

But iirc Zenit were all about their attack that season battering teams all over the shop, even beating united in the super cup, should have tried to fight fire with fire IMO

zr1.png

We would have got fucken hammered.

1 minute ago, MattyBlue said:

Bar the scoreline itself we practically did get hammered 

I think the way we set up gave us our best chance of winning - which was slim.  With the squad we had we had no business being anywhere near a European final.  

Also, the squad was dead on their feet by that point in the season.  We struggled to put away Queen of the South in the Scottish cup final.

mental day, on bbc tv in the morning, no ticket, went into printworks before game, out into the Piccadilly square, ended up back in the yates in printworks for match as I was concerned as feck with the concrete pillars all around there, and they decided to switch aff the tvs, thankfully had booked a hotel prior to the sporting game just in case:dance: