Underwhelming signings that made an impact and vice-versa

K.A.I

Just with all the transfer talk going on at the moment - can anyone remember any signings we made where you thought ffs and they turned out really good? and likewise any ones you were wrong about by thinking they'd be good and bombed big time?

For me I remember being in Spain when Advocaat and rolled in and the promises of big money were made and we signed Rod Wallace. I remember it well, was sat at the pool table in the resort with a bottle of cheap supermarket Sangria (being about 15) when I heard the news and thinking wtf he's mince.  He was a cracking signing.

Likewise David Weir. He never impressed me once for Scotland, Hearts, Everton .. in fact I thought he was an utter donkey but he was one of the best defenders I've seen in the flesh at us. His reading of the game was superb by the time he reached us. Defo peaked later in life.

Naismith is another, thought he was decent enough but just not Rangers-class. Thought he was good in a Kilmarnock side but had no idea he could step up the way he did before doing the dirty.

Lesser extent Novo too in the sense that he was a limited player, but for the small amount of money we paid Dundee and the massive impact he had in some massive games. Had no idea he would contribute what he did for us.

Some mentions for the likes of Stevie Thompson, Fraser Wishart, Andy Dibble, Billy Dodds who were meh signings for me but done varying decent jobs in stages.

Conversely and recently thought Barton and Krancjer would be excellent signings ... Basil Boli and Duncan Ferguson probably the two biggest let-downs from memory though ... a world class, Champions League winning central defender and we either play him right-back or with Davie McPherson/Steven Pressley a couple times and he lost interest pretty quickly ... big Duncan I'm sure he must have been a longer term replacement for Hateley but he found himself out on the flanks if I'm not mistaken and just thinking what a waste. 

Whilst he’d been in the wilderness after a World Cup win and then turned up at Dundee, I was still meh when Canniggia signed for us but thought he was excellent. Kevin Drinkell had a good season with us playing up top with McCoist.

On the downside, Salenko scored 4/5 in one game in WC and we spent £2m and he was shite and as slow as a week in the jail. 

Just now, Sonnybear1972 said:

Remember thinking what the fuck when we signed Alec Cleland and Gary Bollan. Cleland turned out pretty good. On the other side Oleg Salenko was a disapointment after his 5 goals in one game at the world cup reputation.

Beat me to it ya bugger. ?

Just now, tom1780 said:

James Beattie total shite!!! 

Guievarche again total shite

aluko was alright 

Aye I thought Beattie would be a good signing myself. Thought he would be good for the SPL, big and experienced but was a pure donkey .. not just slow, totally immobile with little in the way of hold up play or ball skills.

Just now, SheriffHood said:

Rangers was his best goals to games ratio, but to say he was mince is just nonsense

Well you know what then smart arse name some of your own then instead of nit picking one little thing out of a massive post with a few examples like it's the only thing that matters in the OP ya crank 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Aye I thought Beattie would be a good signing myself. Thought he would be good for the SPL, big and experienced but was a pure donkey .. not just slow, totally immobile with little in the way of hold up play or ball skills.

Cost me a bet he did I was convinced he would score for fun such a let down