Underwhelming signings that made an impact and vice-versa

K.A.I

8 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Claudia? That his missus? Yeah, Reyna was brilliant.

I remember reading the Retard which was saying we were about to spend £4m on some German I’d never heard of. Jorg something..... I was disappointed we weren’t going for a known, quality midfielder. :lol:

Wallace - has been mentioned, but we were all a bit meh about the signing. Proved us wrong.

Boli - I was actually more excited by his signing than Laudrup (who I thought would be an o.k signing) :lol: My god, how I got that one wrong. Aek athens still gives me nightmares...

We were fucking terrible that night. Fuck knows what Walter Smith was playing at.... did he not play Duncan Ferguson out on the wing?

13 minutes ago, KirkBroadband said:

We were fucking terrible that night. Fuck knows what Walter Smith was playing at.... did he not play Duncan Ferguson out on the wing?

Was at that game in Athens and we got completely cuffed, did not expect it with the team we had at the time . Thought we would turn it round at ibrox but AEK outplayed us again. They had some of the most mental fans ive ever seen. At the Athens game the Nottingham forest team were over for a friendly and came into the Rangers section to watch he game with us, stan collymore was there, he was supposedly a Rangers fan in those days. The AEK fans were throwing flares, concrete the lot at us the whole game and the Forest team cleared off in fright apart from Scott gemmil, who I think must of been genuinely a Rangers fan.

2 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Was at that game in Athens and we got completely cuffed, did not expect it with the team we had at the time . Thought we would turn it round at ibrox but AEK outplayed us again. They had some of the most mental fans ive ever seen. At the Athens game the Nottingham forest team were over for a friendly and came into the Rangers section to watch he game with us, stan collymore was there, he was supposedly a Rangers fan in those days. The AEK fans were throwing flares, concrete the lot at us the whole game and the Forest team cleared off in fright apart from Scott gemmil, who I think must of been genuinely a Rangers fan.

Aye it was the game at Ibrox i was refferong to regarding big Dunc. If my memory serves me well their fans were quite nuts at Ibrox as well?

They made some racket, the media bang on about "the special European night atmosphere" at parkhead, but believe me it doesn't come close to the atmosphere you get in places like Greece, Turkey or Red star Belgrade etc. That night in Athens the noise only 30 odd thousand made had the hairs standing on the back of youre neck. 

11 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I mind when we signed him, hadn't really seen him play before and a week (maybe even a few days after signing?) Holland were playing in the Euros so thought it would be the perfect chance to see what we've just bought...

Switched it on and my first thought was how the fuck is he getting a game for the team like Holland and we've just spent over 4-million on him ... thought he was a God-awful footballer allround.

Konterman was pretty solid under Eck at defensive midfield. Centre back less the better.

Candeias. He's not a world beater and I wouldn't mind replacing him with a new winger next season but I thought me was the most throw away signing of last summer and he turned out to be our player of the year. 

Can’t believe how bad Krancjar, Barton and Alves have been. 

Loved Tugay and Reyna - terrific players that I’d never heard of. 

From Scotland, Broadfoot and Cleland were good (even though some thought they were pish). Odd how RB has always been a difficult role to make a success of at Rangers. 

2 minutes ago, RedWhiteBlue1872 said:

Whoever was scouting for us during this period done a good job overall with what was available.

Unsure when Ewan Chester left us but I liked him as scout, thought he had the right idea and eye for a player - even some of the guys that never worked out, I seen the merit in the signing for the most part (over Walter's 2 spells) compared to us since 2012 where the majority of the signings have been baffling. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Unsure when Ewan Chester left us but I liked him as scout, thought he had the right idea and eye for a player - even some of the guys that never worked out, I seen the merit in the signing for the most part (over Walter's 2 spells) compared to us since 2012 where the majority of the signings have been baffling. 

I wasn't sure if he was there for Walters second stint? 

I agree, we need a similar type of player/mentality when looking at the moment to be honest and I feel we are going in the right direction again.

29 minutes ago, MIKO123 said:

For me Neil McCann, he arrived for peanuts from Dundee and for being what he is contributed massively to the 8 in a row years (especially the league winning day at the piggery). 

He didn't play during 9 in a row :lol:

Nor did he come from Dundee 

28 minutes ago, MIKO123 said:

For me Neil McCann, he arrived for peanuts from Dundee and for being what he is contributed massively to the 8 in a row years (especially the league winning day at the piggery). 

Are you at it? I read at least 5 factual errors in those one and a half lines - there may be more but my eyes went full retard reading that

44 minutes ago, MIKO123 said:

Likewise. I was delighted when Walter Smith signed him after rejoining us following a successful spell as Everton’s manager. 

57 minutes ago, MIKO123 said:

Good shout surrounded by a strange alternate history.

Cleland would have been mine. On the other end of the scale... I was so excited about Miko coming in, but he never quite hit the heights that would match his reputation.

On the subject of Reyna, not the best player I've seen for us (outstanding, but not the best), but he was the most elegant player I've seen play for us. Had a sway about him. Looked like he'd been born with a ball at his feet.