Signings you look back on and feel infuriated

stewaj3

Similar to the other post. Any signings that we have made where you look back at and it just makes you angry. Anyone got any surprise names. (It's easy to just name the flops)

Mine is Mikel arteta. I like him, he was a talented player, we paid 6 million for him and have him a grounding and really helped him become a player.

2 years later he was homesick, basically forced a move back to Spain, we unbelievably made a loss on him. 6 months after that he was loaned to Everton.

As I say probably a surprising one as he was some talent. In artetas defence wemade some shocking transfer decisions and letting him go so cheap was foolish.

I am usually more annoyed about players we didn’t sign (for whatever reason)

Jardel, Hartson, Tamuda. All could have done excellent jobs for us, yet for various reasons we missed them all.

Black and Barton were two players I was annoyed we signed though. (Although bizarrely my estimation of Barton has gone up)

Yeah loads. Various reasons (and some with hindsight, some without)

Arteta is a wee bit sore but only because he decided he was homesick, then a year later signed for Everton. Felt a wee bit betrayed because in his second season I felt like I was the only one sticking up for him in the sense that Ferguson left early doors and most of the season Arteta was trying to make-do in a midfield with Emerson and then Gavin Rae for the second half of the season. I felt like he was left with too much to do and his game wasn't as effective and the fans were nipping at him. 

Konterman - as I mentioned in the other thread, I'd heard of him, thought he looked a bit goofy and thought he never looks a player - he signs and I tuned into a Holland game at the Euro's and he looked pathetic and thought 4.5 million for him ffs. 

More recently Docherty, Jack and Senderos - Docherty as talked about loads didn't even look like a good Hamilton player and we spend almost 1-million all in on him off the back of a good game against us at Ibrox, Jack wasn't even Aberdeen's best midfielder and shown very little for us and Senderos is one of them mysteries that's played for some big teams but looked shit at every one of them a big bombscare.

Foster and Smith under McCoist in the lower leagues ... in fact literally 90% of his signings could come under this bracket so there's no point listing them all - the money wasted is unbelievable during that tenure. 

I wouldn't have gave Barry Ferguson a return to us especially for 5.5-million after him walking out on us a couple of years previously. I get that he had success when he came back so I might be wrong on this one in that his drive and passion might not have meant we were as successful .. I suppose jury's out and we will never know but at the time I was furious we spent that money bringing him back.

Davie McPherson back from Hearts in 1992 for over a million pound was a facepalm moment. I know we had a lot of cash then but I thought he was a big dumpling.

In fact I made a list about a month ago of everyone we've signed since McCoist's first season as manager as there was something like 85-players not including McGregor and Arfield this week and I think we counted maybe 12 that were a success and the problem is the minute all these guys were signed, the intelligent fans had reservations but we still signed the dross - so I'd just reference that list because they were a) shite b) a waste of money and c) with without the benefit of hindsight .... so absolutely infurating

On 17/05/2018 at 00:42, K.A.I said:

Arteta is a wee bit sore but only because he decided he was homesick, then a year later signed for Everton. Felt a wee bit betrayed because in his second season I felt like I was the only one sticking up for him in the sense that Ferguson left early doors and most of the season Arteta was trying to make-do in a midfield with Emerson and then Gavin Rae for the second half of the season. I felt like he was left with too much to do and his game wasn't as effective and the fans were nipping at him. 

Konterman - as I mentioned in the other thread, I'd heard of him, thought he looked a bit goofy and thought he never looks a player - he signs and I tuned into a Holland game at the Euro's and he looked pathetic and thought 4.5 million for him ffs. 

More recently Docherty, Jack and Senderos - Docherty as talked about loads didn't even look like a good Hamilton player and we spend almost 1-million all in on him off the back of a good game against us at Ibrox, Jack wasn't even Aberdeen's best midfielder and shown very little for us and Senderos is one of them mysteries that's played for some big teams but looked shit at every one of them a big bombscare.

Foster and Smith under McCoist in the lower leagues ... in fact literally 90% of his signings could come under this bracket so there's no point listing them all - the money wasted is unbelievable during that tenure. 

I wouldn't have gave Barry Ferguson a return to us especially for 5.5-million after him walking out on us a couple of years previously. I get that he had success when he came back so I might be wrong on this one in that his drive and passion might not have meant we were as successful .. I suppose jury's out and we will never know but at the time I was furious we spent that money bringing him back.

Davie McPherson back from Hearts in 1992 for over a million pound was a facepalm moment. I know we had a lot of cash then but I thought he was a big dumpling.

In fact I made a list about a month ago of everyone we've signed since McCoist's first season as manager as there was something like 85-players not including McGregor and Arfield this week and I think we counted maybe 12 that were a success and the problem is the minute all these guys were signed, the intelligent fans had reservations but we still signed the dross - so I'd just reference that list because they were a) shite b) a waste of money and c) with without the benefit of hindsight .... so absolutely infurating

I agree with that. Barry Ferguson is an interesting one. I don't like the way he left, but to be honest when he was coming back I was all for it. Probably a bit blinded because it was Barry, I thought and still think he was a class apart. In other words I thought he brought a lot more than passing the ball backwards!

What I would say though is, his 2nd spell although it worked out fairly well, (had highs and lows) he wasn't as good as his 1st spell. Probably due to the injuries and playing beside a lower calibre of player.

It would take a lot for me to want to sign a former player again to be honest. Don't think there's a single one id take right now. McGregor now he is back, he has my backing but I wouldn't sign him. Even if he'd left on the best of terms.

I'm also surprised we've only signed 85 players since then. I know 85s a lot... But I honestly thought it would be more. Intrigued to know who you thought the 12 successes were.

9 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

I agree with that. Barry Ferguson is an interesting one. I don't like the way he left, but to be honest when he was coming back I was all for it. Probably a bit blinded because it was Barry, I thought and still think he was a class apart. In other words I thought he brought a lot more than passing the ball backwards!

What I would say though is, his 2nd spell although it worked out fairly well, (had highs and lows) he wasn't as good as his 1st spell. Probably due to the injuries and playing beside a lower calibre of player.

It would take a lot for me to want to sign a former player again to be honest. Don't think there's a single one id take right now. McGregor now he is back, he has my backing but I wouldn't sign him. Even if he'd left on the best of terms.

I'm also surprised we've only signed 85 players since then. I know 85s a lot... But I honestly thought it would be more. Intrigued to know who you thought the 12 successes were.

I'll need to answer that tomorrow when I see the list

85 in 7-years is still over 12 players a season on average each of those seasons ... that's a scary amount imo

On 17/05/2018 at 00:42, K.A.I said:

Supposedly Smith and Foster were on £800 and £900 per week respectively - not terrible for our position at the time.

Mo Johnston, that was the day my old man stopped going to Ibrox. Only annoys me as it deprived me of going to games with my dad. He had his principles, rightly or otherwise, but i'd have loved to have shared our successes with him after the shit we endured during the lean times.

Most of mcoists signings notably Kevin fuckin Kyle and Ian black, and even more since watching him recently moshni.

looking back though that donkey Karl Svensson wound me up a lot, as well as another winger PLG signed at that time but can’t remember his name.

4 minutes ago, jackunion said:

Most of mcoists signings notably Kevin fuckin Kyle and Ian black, and even more since watching him recently moshni.

looking back though that donkey Karl Svensson wound me up a lot, as well as another winger PLG signed at that time but can’t remember his name.

Sionko?

11 hours ago, K.A.I said:

still too much

Agree about Foster but Smith for that money was not bad. Fuck knows what happened, saw he was Killie captain last year - got an injury and disappeared.

Just now, BEE said:

Agree about Foster but Smith for that money was not bad. Fuck knows what happened, saw he was Killie captain last year - got an injury and disappeared.

It’s almost 100k a year basic for 2/3 years and they would be getting bonuses too - they contributed zero