Alves at the World Cup

Amato

The more I think about this, I think there's a good chance Gerrard will want to keep him. He wins everything in the air and I reckon he could play a role alongside some actual decent defenders rather than the crap we've had this season. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Fuck knows how he's in the squad - obviously the Portuguese haven't been watching him ( when he could be bothered ) playing this season

Portugal only have about 3 centre backs to chose from. Him, Pepe and Fonte. 

13 minutes ago, Amato said:

The more I think about this, I think there's a good chance Gerrard will want to keep him. He wins everything in the air and I reckon he could play a role alongside some actual decent defenders rather than the crap we've had this season. 

Depends how we play. He's made to look crap when he's in a back 2 with the full-backs up high. In a back 3 as the guy who sits back behind the two CBS, he's actually really useful because he's so good in the air.

I admit I thought he would've been a far better player for us than he's turned out, but he's been used in a role which requires pace and he no longer has that! A lot of his poor performances have been self-inflicted due to poor managerial tactics

I hope he moves on and we get in a younger CB who is up to the job. Alves get slated because of his reputation before coming to the club, but, while here he has had to contend with niggling injuries (probably because of his age he can't bounce back from them as quick) and being paired with inexperienced defenders or poor defenders so he has had to organise and cover for them.  The main thing for me is that he is not quick on the ground and did not have the speed to plug the gaps. I wish him well at a new club after the world cup or if he retires.

This can only be good news for us. Even if he only ever makes the bench, the name Rangers beside Alves shows up on about half a billion screens worldwide every time Portugal play. And they will get big audiences because of Ronaldo.

It will serve as a sign to prospective targets that you can still play at the World Cup after signing up at a giant club but in the arse end of Europe.

He may have been a disappointment for us but he has had to play under two of our worst ever managers and in one of our shitest defences. And I remember watching a back four of Dawson, MacKinnon, Patterson and McLelland, so I know my shite.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He will.

He is.

According to the portugoal blog / site which has been tracking the Portugal squad in the run up to the tournament, he is behind pepe and fonte 

Played one game at the euros when pepe was injured 

I don't believe he will play. 

32 minutes ago, KWBear said:

According to portugoal which has been tracking the Portugal squad in the run up to the tournament, he is behind pepe and fonte 

Played one game at the euros when pepe was injured 

I don't believe he will play.

He'll get at least 1 game and maybe the odd cameo off the bench. He's not a first pick but he'll play.

Unless qualification from the group is in jeopardy I'd fully expect him to play their 3rd game.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He'll get at least 1 game and maybe the odd cameo off the bench. He's not a first pick but he'll play.

Unless qualification from the group is in jeopardy I'd fully expect him to play their 3rd game.

I don't.

Reading through some of the comments on this thread I'm clearly in the minority but I think he's the best centre half in the Scottish league by far. Injury and not having a settled partner haven't helped his season but I really don't see why there is so much negativity towards him. From a footballing perspective I would love to keep him at Rangers next season but if his wages are ridiculously high (and they could be as guys with his pedigree don't usually come cheap) then I wouldn't be too unhappy to see him leave - as long as it meant a couple of decent players coming in to replace him.