King_gazza

Kyle Bartley (Swansea)

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The harm in it is that they can pull the wool over someone’s eyes with a few weeks of good attitude and playing out their skin in some friendlies but ultimately can’t be trusted 

this is what I was absolutely terrified of - at the end of the season anyone with a brain were all in agreement 80% of these players had to go they couldn’t be trusted and failure was ingrained in them then a few weeks after the season is done the narrative is slowly changing to “aw but we need to be realistic” “can’t make as many changes” “Tav and John can play in midfield now” and “I wanna see what Cardoso can do with a new manager”

no no no no noooo

its the same sort of syndrome when a player has been out and gets better the longer he’s been out - fans go soft 

get as many of them to fuck 

Cardoso hardly played last season.....I totally get what your saying in regards to a lot of that squad but the reality is we can't punt them all as it would be far to big of a player upheaval which means SG will have no option but to look at a lot of the current squad, you by all accounts are probably willing to give Alves another chance where as me I saw enough of Alves to tell me he is just another wage thief, unfortunately the centre back area is in dire need of a shake up, whether the gaffer gives any of them a chance remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Cardoso hardly played last season.....I totally get what your saying in regards to a lot of that squad but the reality is we can't punt them all as it would be far to big of a player upheaval which means SG will have no option but to look at a lot of the current squad, you by all accounts are probably willing to give Alves another chance where as me I saw enough of Alves to tell me he is just another wage thief, unfortunately the centre back area is in dire need of a shake up, whether the gaffer gives any of them a chance remains to be seen.

He hardly played for a reason though mate. As I say, the final straw was the tarriers game at Ibrox. He was diabolical. 

There's been other Rangers players who's had a nightmare against celtic and went on to be decent players for us, but this is different - him and the majority of the rest were like lambs to the slaughter. There's no fix for that. Second chances won't cut it.

Said the same about Beerman the 5-1 game too. No way back. Rangers career finished. That tackle he made at the start of the game to get them off the mark was unforgivable and was more than just a basic error - it was a severe lack of judgement, we can have bad performances from time to time and players having off days but Cardoso, Wes, Beerman and people like that are all different level in my eyes.

Sell Cardoso while he still might have value elsewhere and claw something back. 

• Like 1

Cardoso doesny have any value. Aff the wage bill would do me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Cardoso doesny have any value. Aff the wage bill would do me.

I think he "should" be able to get fixed up with a club back in Portugal - he was highly rated there before coming to us. Talk of him going to Benfica before us that obviously never materialised.

There would be interest there provided both us and himself don't price him out of the move. Give us 500k (I don't think he's worth it, but if Plymouth want to pay that for Holt, then why not a highly rated young native we paid 1.2 million for less than a year ago?)

With Katic signed and Goldson on the way. 

Do we think Bartley is still a target ?

Gerrard apparently likes to play with 3 at the back formation

9 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

could alves be kept as part of the 3 with katic and goldson?

Still need someone of Bartleys ilk in, no absolute guarantee's either of the new CB's will be good enough 

Still a ballhair away from one if not both being injured and us lining up with Cardoso/McCrorie and Alves :megaanguish: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liam_RFC said:

Ad love us to sign Bartley 

BAFBDCD8-D72E-4F08-8AC2-620362153E7D.jpeg

Definitely like to see him back at Ibrox as he knows the score, potentially a much better player now, would fit the 3 at the back if that's how we go and isn't a big feartie. Even if the money was the same as Alves is on we will make up part of the shortfall with a clear-out. Alves to go if we get Goldson but stays if we don't sign another couple of central defenders. Still would liked to have seen Skrtel sign as well as the above.

I feel even if we sign Goldson we will sign at least one other CB if not more. I can't see Alves or Cardoso staying and we will need at least 4 CBs . If Gerrard plays 3 CBs then we will need more to cover injuries and suspensions.

Even if we keep Alves or Cardoso, we still need numbers in at CB.

Hypothetically, Katic Alves Goldson (which seems strong) quickly becomes Cardoso Alves McCrorie - which gives me the fear. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I do think we need one more CB as back up for Alves (if he stays).

The lad McKenna fae Aberdeen could be a good shout but we’ll probably have to spend a few million.

1 hour ago, chris182 said:

The lad McKenna fae Aberdeen could be a good shout but we’ll probably have to spend a few million.

No buying from the sheep. If we are going for an SPL CB then I'd look at the boy from Hearts, as long as he doesn't cost a fortune. Would not give any cash to Aberdeen.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fergie_6 said:

could alves be kept as part of the 3 with katic and goldson?

He could if he wants to stay. Just got the feeling Alves was checked out and wanting to move. 

3 hours ago, chris182 said:

McKenna is a good shout but Aberdeen would play hard ball with us. 

You can just see them doubling the price tag if we came in. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He could if he wants to stay. Just got the feeling Alves was checked out and wanting to move. 

A think he does wanna go too, with the skrtel rumours starting again, we might let alves go if we finally get him

We need another CB. Cardoso wont do and alves can't be trusted to stay fit

10 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We need another CB. Cardoso wont do and alves can't be trusted to stay fit

Steven Caulker.

2 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Steven Caulker.

No seem much of him doesn't he have issues anyway 

Just now, KingKirk said:

No seem much of him doesn't he have issues anyway 

He does/did.  To be honest just throwing it out there.  Seen him a couple of times with Dundee and he did seem too good for their level.

Sure Gerrard will know him well enough from his short time at Liverpool.

• Like 1

We defo need a bit more cover in there but that's what it will be is cover I think ... we can't go and spend 3-million and 20k per-week on Bartley for a bit of extra cover in there especially with Alves still on the wagebill .. we would be tieing up far too much of our budget when other areas need strengthened badly, too.

20 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Steven Caulker.

Should’ve signed him on a free instead of bringing in Russell fucking Martin 

I hope Caulker is over his issues but signing a player who has spoken publicly about his gambling and alcohol addiction, and thrusting him into the melting pot that is Glasgow would be a massive risk, especially at the price Dundee would want for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I hope Caulker is over his issues but signing a player who has spoken publicly about his gambling and alcohol addiction, and thrusting him into the melting pot that is Glasgow would be a massive risk, especially at the price Dundee would want for him.

Agreed, see: Carlos Peña

Gerrard and McAllister will already have their opinions but if they want to have a chance to analyse Alves and Cardoso in their system before making any decisions about signing another CB that seems fair and logical to me. Expect us to move on to strengthening other areas for the next month or so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

not so sure on that. its a good thing for someone to come out and admit their problems, as he has. maybe the lure of playing for a big club again, especially with SG as manager, would be enough incentive to bring him in, and with the right guidance, not be a complete waster. initial 18 month contract would be ideal, with an option for us to extend. 
We could pick him up for 1-1.5m, or potentially a player/cash deal, not much to lose really. be a good way to punt halliday or someone of that ilk.

• Like 1