What is Mark Allen’s role?

Skrtel was too similar a signing to Alves. Big name, end of career, Big wages. 

Difference being there was a significant fee involved with Skrtel and even mor significant wages 

I was very concerned that we were looking to spend a chunk of our transfer budget on him and I am pretty happy we have seen sense and that his wages are a stumbling block. If Gerrard thought at any stage we were going to be paying 60k a week wages  ( and I don’t believe he ever thought that) then he was kidding himself.  

What has not inspired me about Allen is his ability ( so far) to unearth a gem.  

Many of our signings have been players who support the club.  

I want us to chase young excellence who we can develop. 

I think England is wayyyyy overpriced. 

However what we can sell to young foreign players is a platform to develop themselves to play and then move on a view years to an english club similar to van dyke.  

I find our current preoccupation with English market and Rangers supporters rather uninspiring  

58 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Summary of above:

Tells the manager on behalf of our chairman who we can't afford. 

Time will tell, but I can't see our manager signing up if did not get assistances on a budget that he felt would give us a decent chance of winning the league. 

I'll be honest I think Gerrard was in place long before he signed or was announced. I'm almost certain that Arfield and McGregor would be his choices.

As for the shameful way we missed out on Skirtl well thank fuck we did. This is Scottish football where we don't get the vast amounts of cash they do everywhere else. We can't afford to be paying 5m fees for a 33 yo and giving him upwards of 50k per week, especially since he appears to be injured quite a lot.

Personally I'm glad sense prevailed.

Can no-one remember that Gerrard’s press conference was barely over with we were linked with Skrtel? It was on Twitter when  Stevie was soaking up the applause of the Enclosure.

That’s why I always thought this was bullshit, Gerrard will have Skrtel’s phone number as well so a 2 minute phonecall or a wee text to find out what sort of wage he would be looking for to come to Ibrox and that would have been it.

2 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Can no-one remember that Gerrard’s press conference was barely over with we were linked with Skrtel? It was on Twitter when  Stevie was soaking up the applause of the Enclosure.

That’s why I always thought this was bullshit, Gerrard will have Skrtel’s phone number as well so a 2 minute phonecall or a wee text to find out what sort of wage he would be looking for to come to Ibrox and that would have been it.

I said the same in the Skrtel thread yesterday. 

34 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The worry for me is that it was Robertson doing the negotiation with fenerbahce and not Allen.

Robertson is a muppet and should be nowhere near the negotiation. Tell Allen what the budget is and let him do the talking.

The budget no matter who was negotiating clearly did not stretch to Skrtel, which begs the question, who approached Skrtel knowing he was outwith our means.

57 minutes ago, jintybear said:

I'll be honest I think Gerrard was in place long before he signed or was announced. I'm almost certain that Arfield and McGregor would be his choices.

As for the shameful way we missed out on Skirtl well thank fuck we did. This is Scottish football where we don't get the vast amounts of cash they do everywhere else. We can't afford to be paying 5m fees for a 33 yo and giving him upwards of 50k per week, especially since he appears to be injured quite a lot.

Personally I'm glad sense prevailed.

Gerrard wasn’t in place and they are not his signings.

No question a bullet was dodged. I commented last week for the kind of money quoted we could get a prime CB that’s decent.

My concern is i have doubts that the gaffer will get who he wants.

I don’t regret the use of the word shameful as all reports had him signed only to be told we can’t afford him and his agent used the word terribly when describing the differences.

Every bear I know had him signed.

22 minutes ago, backup said:

The budget no matter who was negotiating clearly did not stretch to Skrtel, which begs the question, who approached Skrtel knowing he was outwith our means.

Did we know it was out with our means though. Did we perhaps think that with Gerrard as manager that his former teammates/friends would take a hefty pay cut to be here? Does Gerrard think he’s got those kind of funds available on wages and fees?

Lots of questions but we’ll never get any answer other than when we actually sign players (even then we can only speculate what the fee was and the wages are)

10 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

No question a bullet was dodged. I commented last week for the kind of money quoted we could get a prime CB that’s decent.

I don’t regret the use of the word shameful as all reports had him signed only to be told we can’t afford him and his agent used the word terribly when describing the differences.

The media had this deal done tbf to everyone you know 

4 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

It's always been my opinion that the board knew Gerrard was coming long before anyone else did. In fact I thought it's been known since the OF game at Ibrox. Only my opinion though!

14 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Did we know it was out with our means though. Did we perhaps think that with Gerrard as manager that his former teammates/friends would take a hefty pay cut to be here? Does Gerrard think he’s got those kind of funds available on wages and fees?

Lots of questions but we’ll never get any answer other than when we actually sign players (even then we can only speculate what the fee was and the wages are)

Players talk and stevie would have a good idea what wages he's on. So that makes me think this so called "Gerrard effect" is being used to get these players.

3 hours ago, Thornliebanktrueblue said:

However what we can sell to young foreign players is a platform to develop themselves to play and then move on a view years to an english club similar to van dyke.  

I find our current preoccupation with English market and Rangers supporters rather uninspiring  

I think the best value in the English market is the young players in the fringes of the first team. Remember, the England U20 are world champions ; and this looks to be the reason for Gerrard, he certainly has the influence to get young players from the EPL, on the fringe of first team to Ibrox.

Probably will be a lot of loanees this season,  but if the model of a club that can take them and develop them - bringing us some trophies then so be it at the moment. We have little choice in the matter financially.

4 hours ago, Thornliebanktrueblue said:

He’s had one January transfer window. And he wasn’t able to operate fully due to Murty only being in temporary charge. AND his scouting team wasn’t even in place until October 30th. This is literally the first transfer window he’ll be able to do his job properly. 

This forum is some place. Full of fucking moon units. 

16 hours ago, Hutton2008 said:

I said ‘almost’ 

it was pretty bad.

What was pretty bad? The media are the only ones that had him signed. The club never gave the impression that we were even trying to sign him. Clearly we did explore the option but either fee or wages or both were a stumbling block - which is fine. Nothing bad or shameful in my view apart from the media counting chickens as usual.