Steven Gerrard admits he’s scouting possible targets at Toulon Tournament as he continues Uefa Pro-Licence

KingKirk

STEVEN GERRARD is scouting possible targets in France.

The new Rangers boss is watching the Toulon Tournament as part of his Uefa Pro-Licence.

On Thursday he saw Japan v Canada and then Portugal v Turkey — and today he was taking in England’s game against Qatar.

On the day he started officially as Gers boss, Gerrard said: “There’s a level of footballer here which of course would interest me.

“I’m on the Pro- Licence course, which is the last course in terms of being qualified.

“While here I want to kill two birds with one stone.

I want to see what talent is there, if there’s anyone who interests me.

“I’ve got tasks to do within the course but I also have a wandering eye on what’s going on with certain individuals.”

Gerrard’s focus on his studies is not side-tracking him from working with Ibrox director of football Mark Allen and head of scouting Andy Scoulding.

He said: “The phone’s been going non-stop.

“Obviously I’ve been working really closely with Mark and Andy in terms of targets.

“We are also talking about players we’ve already got, how we see the squad shaping up.

“There’s a ton of work to do, I think everyone is aware of that.

Gerrard, 38, is in an English FA group of around 30, including ex-Manchester United goalie Peter Schmeichel.

He added: “I watched two games last night and I’ve been in the classroom most of the day.

“I’m halfway through the Licence. This time next year I’ll be finished.

“A lot of people on the course have been saying congratulations.

“They’re very respectful of Rangers.”

I’m not being a cock on purpose and being pessimistic for a laugh (despite what some might think) but I really hate this youth/gem with potential Route 

it never works for us even with better/more proven managers than Gerrard with all due respect to him 

26 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Am I wrong to be a bit unsettled that he didn't spend his first day in the job in Glasgow at Ibrox or Auchenhowie?

Yes you are wrong.

He's already seen Ibrox and there's not much to be done at Auchenhowie with no players there.

You're not a cunt.

32 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Am I wrong to be a bit unsettled that he didn't spend his first day in the job in Glasgow at Ibrox or Auchenhowie?

What is it that unsettles you about it? (Genuinely interested) 

Personally I’d much rather he was out looking at players than being at Auchenhowie with no players! 

8 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

What is it that unsettles you about it? (Genuinely interested) 

Personally I’d much rather he was out looking at players than being at Auchenhowie with no players! 

Can of worms as successfully predicted by @K.A.I

I've just got this old-fashioned idea about your first day in a new job. Turn up bright and early, and get something worth doing done on your first day.

Actions more than words and all that sort of stuff.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

Just now, theblueoysterbar said:

Can of worms as successfully predicted by @K.A.I

I've just got this old-fashioned idea about your first day in a new job. Turn up bright and early, and get something worth doing done on your first day.

Actions more than words and all that sort of stuff.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

Obviously it’s not a massive deal but first day on the job he should be at Ibrox or Audhenhowie imo getting settled in and set up - call me old fashioned too but you’ll get the incoming on it regardless - this place has been ruthless today could taste it from moment I logged in 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Obviously it’s not a massive deal but first day on the job he should be at Ibrox or Audhenhowie imo getting settled in and set up - call me old fashioned too but you’ll get the incoming on it regardless - this place has been ruthless today could taste it from moment I logged in 

Ach, I'm a big boy.

"A UEFA Pro Licence is required for anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top tier of any European nation's league system on a permanent basis, i.e. more than 12 weeks (the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). Such a licence is also required to manage in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League."

He's signed up to be the Rangers manager on a permanent basis so how can he be halfway through the license?  

50 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

He pre-empted this in his statement the other day, and I suspect 1st June was just a contractual thing. Hes clearly been busy already, and from what ive seen of this guy over the years attitude and commitment shouldnt be too much of a concern. But lets face it we have suffered so much pish over the past few years that only performances and results on the park will make any difference now. 

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

"A UEFA Pro Licence is required for anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top tier of any European nation's league system on a permanent basis, i.e. more than 12 weeks (the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). Such a licence is also required to manage in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League."

He's signed up to be the Rangers manager on a permanent basis so how can he be halfway through the license?  

IIRC you're allowed to manage a top-flight club if you are in the process of completing the Pro License.

1 hour ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Wrong isn't a fair word mate as your motives are bang on.  Unduly worried i'd say is a fair description. He's put a decent statement out and is where he thinks he's best placed now. Nothing to worry about bud :tu:

IMO anyway. 

1 hour ago, theblueoysterbar said:

You’re definitely wrong. Especially considering the players don’t return for another 2 weeks, he’d have been sitting in the office drinking coffee.

Its just a contractual thing that he “starts on 1st June”.

He’s also obliged to turn up to the pro license course because if he doesn’t gain his pro license he’s not allowed to manage us.

22 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

IIRC you're allowed to manage a top-flight club if you are in the process of completing the Pro License.

This. Lots of managers haven’t completed the license yet, they get dispensation from the association.

3 minutes ago, JentleJames said:

You’re definitely wrong. Especially considering the players don’t return for another 2 weeks, he’d have been sitting in the office drinking coffee.

Its just a contractual thing that he “starts on 1st June”.

He’s also obliged to turn up to the pro license course because if he doesn’t gain his pro license he’s not allowed to manage us.

That’s all fair imo