Steven Gerrard admits he’s scouting possible targets at Toulon Tournament as he continues Uefa Pro-Licence

KingKirk

10 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Am I wrong to be a bit unsettled that he didn't spend his first day in the job in Glasgow at Ibrox or Auchenhowie?

Yes. The players are on holiday and any work Gerrard would be doing can be done by Mark Allen. His contract started on Friday, but his “real” first day is when pre-season starts IMO. 

I know what some people are saying. First day new job you expect him to turn up at 8am with the brogues on, designs for orange kit in one hand, new coffee machine for the players in the other, MOH summoned in and sacked by 8:05, etc, etc

He said in an interview that it’s set days in a block and he has to attend when they are on and he’ll need to go back next year to finish the course. I think Gary McAllister has all of his badges and that as long as one of the management team has them they’ll be covered.

8 hours ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

It's for his coaching badges first and foremost though.

So think it's just the obligatory line of yeah there might be a hidden gem there but  he's there for his pro licence not a scouting mission.

Why are we appointing Coaches without licences though? 

29 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I don't see the issue with it provided he is working towards getting them.

Mark Warburton and Pedro both had UEFA pro licence and at 1 point Pedro was rated 36th best coach in the world by some daft ranking system.

6 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I don't see the issue with it provided he is working towards getting them.

Mark Warburton and Pedro both had UEFA pro licence and at 1 point Pedro was rated 36th best coach in the world by some daft ranking system.

I know it’s just a box ticking exercise in theory but I just find it a bit mental appointing a manager with no licence 

there was someone though think it was JentleJames who summed it up well earlier - I liked that post 

40 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It was the same with Warburton, remember he disappeared off the radar after the SC final - missing all the Barton carry on pre season (perhaps deliberately) as he was working on his badges.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

It was the same with Warburton, remember he disappeared off the radar after the SC final - missing all the Barton carry on pre season (perhaps deliberately) as he was working on his badges.

I know I’m just being pissy and it’s no big deal but it’s just how it comes across - amateurish 

the badges are a box ticking exercise and if you have a spare 6k you can do it too 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know it’s just a box ticking exercise in theory but I just find it a bit mental appointing a manager with no licence 

there was someone though think it was JentleJames who summed it up well earlier - I liked that post 

That's exactly what it is, a tick box exercise and you and me could simply go on the course and pass it making us qualified to coach pros but we wouldn't really be properly qualified imo.

Like when you get wee jumped up clerks of works cunts on sites trying to tell tradesmen of 20/30 years how to do a job. They have the paper certificates but no idea how to actually do the job.

He's already there so no problems him having a look . 

Personally , I'd rather he concentrate on looking at players that are going straight into the first team to make an impact , and leave youths , or players for a long term view , to someone else like the scouting dept . 

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I know I’m just being pissy and it’s no big deal but it’s just how it comes across - amateurish 

the badges are a box ticking exercise and if you have a spare 6k you can do it too 

ally and andy roxburgh should ask for their money back !

22 hours ago, TMB said:

"A UEFA Pro Licence is required for anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top tier of any European nation's league system on a permanent basis, i.e. more than 12 weeks (the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). Such a licence is also required to manage in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League."

He's signed up to be the Rangers manager on a permanent basis so how can he be halfway through the license?  

Are you saying  he can’t manage us in the Europa? FFS!! 

The licensing system is a complete and utter con. 

It’s simply rent seeking from the equivalent of the League Manager Associations in in each country in cahoots with UEFA (for whom it’s a nice little earner).

The system goes a long way to explaining why you see a merry go round of Allardyce, Mark Hughes, Pulis and the like for jobs in England. 

Have to agree with @K.A.I though, it’s a bit amateurish from us to appoint someone in this state - the rules are unfortunately the rules.

29 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The licensing system is a complete and utter con. 

It’s simply rent seeking from the equivalent of the League Manager Associations in in each country in cahoots with UEFA (for whom it’s a nice little earner).

The system goes a long way to explaining why you see a merry go round of Allardyce, Mark Hughes, Pulis and the like for jobs in England. 

Have to agree with @K.A.I though, it’s a bit amateurish from us to appoint someone in this state - the rules are unfortunately the rules.

The trouble is it takes years to get the Pro License, you have to first get the C, then the B, then the A License before you can finally go for the Pro one. Gerrard has only been retired for a couple of years (and also bearing in mind the Pro License takes at least two years to complete), he probably just hasn't had enough time to complete it.

It is a joke though, I agree.

At least he’s doing something football related and with an eye on any potential signing for us.  It isn’t ideal though but it’s better than PLG running marathons in the desert instead of getting to grips with the job and Scottish football.