22 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

If he was coming in as a manager straight from playing, with no break in between then I’d say get him registered to play, but he’s had the retirement head on for what, a year? I think he’d struggle badly to switch his head back to being a player again 

anyway he dosent want to be a player anymore he’s happy with all he achieved as a player so pointless talking about it.  

Becoming a manager after being a superstar player is the next big test to give yourself, knowing how committed Gerrard was to being the best he possibly could be as a player, gives me hope for Gerrard the manager. Let’s go!

You seen the videos kicking about after retirement pinging 40 yard free kicks in the top corner and that. He’s still fucking got it 

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Hitting a free kick isny actually played an actual game but, means nothing

It was more than free kicks. He would be class up here still. Wouldn’t be at 100% in either playing or managing to be fair. I don’t think he should be playing for us I’m just saying I think he’d stroll it up here, he was at the very top till about a year ago.

5 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Will be the best player in training by a distance but like others have said it's absurd to think of him playing for us.

Was he not widely criticised in America for not making an impact in MLS? Legs left him about 5 years ago.

Legs did leave him 5 yrs ago as a box to box midfielder.   As said above he could play half the game in the centre circle and spray it around. Not going to happen,  needs to show what is required on the training pitch then take his seat in the dug out.

1 hour ago, broomloanjamie said:

You seen the videos kicking about after retirement pinging 40 yard free kicks in the top corner and that. He’s still fucking got it 

The touch never leaves you, neither does instinct.

its immaterial anyway he’s excited to get a big club as his first managerial position, I’m more excited about that, than him coming out of retirement as a player tbh plus we’ve tried it before an it was a failure. It’s fair to say Nico was never in the same level as a player to Gerrard but he did show good technique but couldn’t run with the ball an get away from anybody, these guys also don’t have the standard of player around or infront of them to just be able to sit in the middle spreading it about

i know the standard in Scotland would get football stopped but even in this league, to stand out you need a good level of fitness. I personally think that’s what made Barton look so bad he hardly done a pre season an never looked fit and being dynamic is what his game is all about 

you’ll get the odd Pirlo who will make a mockery of what I’m saying but he was so good with the ball at his feet he dosent need pace at all 

7 hours ago, Blumhoilann said:

When the talk first began I thought that was the aim,player/Manager like Souness. I'm sure he could still do it no probs.

Souness didn't last too long as a player manager though, a few outings with a poor disciplinary record (in the 80s that took some going).

I'm sure he could play well in games against less aggressive opposition, but every game we play will not be that scenario - all opposition midfield are out to batter us right from the start. Sadly, over the past couple of seasons there is no fear from them at all - and we struggle to come up with solutions continuously.

7 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Souness didn't last too long as a player manager though, a few outings with a poor disciplinary record (in the 80s that took some going).

I'm sure he could play well in games against less aggressive opposition, but every game we play will not be that scenario - all opposition midfield are out to batter us right from the start. Sadly, over the past couple of seasons there is no fear from them at all - and we struggle to come up with solutions continuously.

Far too good a player to let hammer throwers, who in reality should never even have been on the same pitch as him 

think that was Souness’s main problem with discipline in Scotland and I’d hate to see another absolute winner like Gerrard struggle with the same problem an have mugs like broon trying to claim some sort of moral victory like he did with Barton, tbf if I was him I’d have done the same, joey made some bold claims an couldn’t back them up, shame for us but cos he should have been able to if he gave 100% an respected that the league was better than he thought

10 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

lol   for the most part I always thought Souness was wonderfully tactical in his "heavy challenges". If we had him in the team now going up against the scum he'd put Brown flat on his arse inside the first 10 mins and boss the midfield thereafter. Legend.