Isle of Man TT (Adam Lyon)

15 minutes ago, Land Rover said:

Well said Sir .

I don't know anything of the young man , but he has my respect .

Thanks mate, and there lies the problem as pure road racing is still viewed by the media in this country as some kind of taboo. The way I see it, it should be celebrated as a last great choice, something the PC and health and safety brigades can’t touch. This is a young man who should have been known across the land for his talent and bravery. It’s a cliche, but he died doing the thing that gave him what he needed in life. 

3 hours ago, roger9650 said:

Words of wisdom from our H & S expert.  Anything else you'd like to ban?

255 fatalities on any race course is ludicrous, to be fair. I think consenting adults should be entitled to risk their lives if they want but there's no doubt that is indeed "dangerously daft". The roads are simply not designed for racing, which incentivises the more daring riders to push the limits beyond any sensible level in the knowledge that the less daring won't.

23 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Stupid sport, in a dangerously daft circuit - should be banned outright.

Stupid, just because people die doing it? Might as well wrap us all in cotton wool and ban leaving the house.

pretty stupid statement Tel! 

Every single person there is there because they want to be. Nobody is there under duress, I don’t see the problem. 

6 hours ago, JamieD said:

255 fatalities on any race course is ludicrous, to be fair. I think consenting adults should be entitled to risk their lives if they want but there's no doubt that is indeed "dangerously daft". The roads are simply not designed for racing, which incentivises the more daring riders to push the limits beyond any sensible level in the knowledge that the less daring won't.

255 fatalities, in isolation looks worse than it is. More people die in mountaineering accidents every year in Scotland than at the TT, yet there’s no calls for that to be banned. 

1 minute ago, Craigyboy9 said:

255 fatalities, in isolation looks worse than it is. More people die in mountaineering accidents every year in Scotland than at the TT, yet there’s no calls for that to be banned. 

Sure, but they aren't typically taking place in a officially sanctioned, commercial, profit-making event. A mountain doesn't have a duty of responsibility towards a mountaineer.

There were 80 something entrants this year, there have been 2 deaths already. There are multiple deaths almost every year. That is an astonishingly high fatality rate for an organised event. I don't say ban it, but I can see why some think it's ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, Craigyboy9 said:

Stupid, just because people die doing it? Might as well wrap us all in cotton wool and ban leaving the house.

pretty stupid statement Tel! 

Every single person there is there because they want to be. Nobody is there under duress, I don’t see the problem. 

I'm sorry mate, but the statistics tell it all - with the high performance bikes that are used, and more suitable for track racing it is an inevitable occurance every couple of years that a tragic accident occurs. If you compare F1, if this occurred on a circuit then the licence would be revoked. Different sport, I know, but these deaths are sadly becoming a feature of the TT.

27 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Sure, but they aren't typically taking place in a officially sanctioned, commercial, profit-making event. A mountain doesn't have a duty of responsibility towards a mountaineer.

There were 80 something entrants this year, there have been 2 deaths already. There are multiple deaths almost every year. That is an astonishingly high fatality rate for an organised event. I don't say ban it, but I can see why some think it's ridiculous.

It’s is high Jamie, you’ve lived there, what else could be done? I stil stand by it though. It’s a choice the risks are known, Dan Kneen who was killed on Wednesday night last week, his father and brother released a statement saying they wanted it to continue, and wanted his team to continue to compete on his name. That for me is all the justification you need. 

1 hour ago, Craigyboy9 said:

It’s always been a feature Tel, the people who do the TT ride the machine to absolute limit, it’s been like that since 1907. The difference is F1 is held all around the world and it’s a corporate monster, the TT is all about choice, they know the risks and do it. There’s no financial gain to racing at the at the TT. As far as I know the winner of tomorrow’s Senior race get something like £40k. Just to buy a Superbike costs in the region of £100k, never mind what a top of the range factory bike would cost. 

The thing that sets it apart is, you and I could wander round the paddock and pit lane tonight, all the mechanics will be working on the bikes and the top riders will be there chatting and mingling with everyone. No passes needed. Then we could wander down to the bottom paddock where all the privateers are. Guys who save up all year just to race there, sleeping in the back of a dirty old transit, with a wee pop up awning, doing their own spannering with the help of a mate or two.  It’s bike racing in its purest form. 

Good point, well made. You obviously know a lot about it so I defer my ignorance to your superior knowledge.

9 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Good point, well made. You obviously know a lot about it so I defer my ignorance to your superior knowledge.

No worries mate, I just get a bit pissed off, because the only time it makes headlines is when someone is killed, so it’s no surprise people who aren’t particularly into bikes, only see these headlines and draw the obvious conclusion. 

15 hours ago, Craigyboy9 said:

It’s always been a feature Tel, the people who do the TT ride the machine to absolute limit, it’s been like that since 1907. The difference is F1 is held all around the world and it’s a corporate monster, the TT is all about choice, they know the risks and do it. There’s no financial gain to racing at the at the TT. As far as I know the winner of tomorrow’s Senior race get something like £40k. Just to buy a Superbike costs in the region of £100k, never mind what a top of the range factory bike would cost. 

The thing that sets it apart is, you and I could wander round the paddock and pit lane tonight, all the mechanics will be working on the bikes and the top riders will be there chatting and mingling with everyone. No passes needed. Then we could wander down to the bottom paddock where all the privateers are. Guys who save up all year just to race there, sleeping in the back of a dirty old transit, with a wee pop up awning, doing their own spannering with the help of a mate or two.  It’s bike racing in its purest form. 

Good point mate .

I heard a few guys at work who've been to the TT talking about Adam . He was originally entering the junior manx but because his times were so good he was invited to the TT proper . Tragic .Joey Dunlop , a man that had achieved it all and was truly beyond a living legend . He still had to compete to get his fix . 

I've never been to the TT , but what you say is correct , there is no big prize money or pressure to compete . 

There was talk of Insurance being a problem for the organisers this year , I can't see it being any easier in years to come .

3 hours ago, Land Rover said:

Good point mate .

I heard a few guys at work who've been to the TT talking about Adam . He was originally entering the junior manx but because his times were so good he was invited to the TT proper . Tragic .Joey Dunlop , a man that had achieved it all and was truly beyond a living legend . He still had to compete to get his fix . 

I've never been to the TT , but what you say is correct , there is no big prize money or pressure to compete . 

There was talk of Insurance being a problem for the organisers this year , I can't see it being any easier in years to come .

I’d guarantee, that anyone with even a slight interest in motorsport would love it. The whole island comes alive, the atmosphere is magic and then that first night you’re sitting on a dry stane dyke and a superbike comes past so close you could reach out and touch it and literally sucks the air out out your lungs. One of the truly breathtaking things in the world and it never gets any less exciting. Fuck knows what it’s like to be riding it! 

On 2018-06-07 at 05:18, JamieD said:

I personally feel that the bikes have outgrown the roads, I don't believe anyone envisaged bikes capable of >300 kmph when the TT started.  As @Craigyboy9 rightly says it's about choice, but we have to balance that with a bit of common sense.  

16 hours ago, Craigyboy9 said:

No worries mate, I just get a bit pissed off, because the only time it makes headlines is when someone is killed, so it’s no surprise people who aren’t particularly into bikes, only see these headlines and draw the obvious conclusion. 

Enjoyed your views ontheTT, walking around the paddock etc, reminded me of when I used to ride across Europe to watch the WSB, again you could walk around chatting to rhe racers, mechanics etc and often seen them in the hotels around the venues......  different breed. 

12 hours ago, bluedylan said:

Road Racing is a virtual religion in Northern Ireland with the NW 200 drawing up to 100k spectators but year after year there are fatalities but the riders still come from all over the world to challenge themselves

The NW200 looks brilliant Dylan, I know how much the road racing means to the people of NI, just from speaking to them while I’ve been at the TT. There was a couple of programs on last year about the national racing scene over the water. Hope to get over at some point maybe to the NW200 or the Ulster GP. A few of my mates go every year to the Armoy races and are always well looked after. 

9 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I personally feel that the bikes have outgrown the roads, I don't believe anyone envisaged bikes capable of >300 kmph when the TT started.  As @Craigyboy9 rightly says it's about choice, but we have to balance that with a bit of common sense.  

You’re probably right about he bikes outgrowing the courses and maybe this is something that’ll be looked at in the future in terms of limiting the power of the machines. I’m not sure it would make a difference though. Lots of accidents happen in the 600 and super twin classes as well as the Superbike.