Rather have Alves

21 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Big Clint Hill was the best defender we have had here since admin.

Hill was alright but he was the best of a bad bunch let’s face it - he was no Moore, Weir, Amoruso, Cuellar, Boumsong or Bougherra 

• Like 2

Great signing. 

Big hard bastard that knows the score and still has a few seasons left in him.

Hope we get him.

Good solid player, doesn't play like a 38 yo whenever I've seen him. No nonsense defender

4 minutes ago, KingKennyMiller said:

Great signing. 

Hope we get him.

Dunno if he can play out from the back I’ve heard that’s how De Boer likes to set his teams up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Dunno if he can play out from the back I’ve heard that’s how De Boer likes to set his teams up.

Cracker.

Got any mowa?

17 minutes ago, KingKennyMiller said:

Great signing. 

Hope we get him.

He's 38 ffs.

Though anything you that you say, we can be rest assured the opposite will happen, thankfully.

• Like 4

My concern with bringing in McAuley would be a lack of pace at the back and will we be forced to sit deep because of it.  I'm certain the guy is a rock solid defender and good in the air but you know opposition teams will put a quick striker right next to him and just hit balls over the top.  

Surely be a good pair with goldson and another younger quicker centre half? Gerrard loves a back 3 so maybe slotting him just behind the CDM would be ideal.

He’s far too slow to play in a back 3, and for that reason I can’t see us going for him

I have to be honest and say I have never heard of him and given that he is 38 years old that, probably is all I need to know. if we are going for folks the wrong side of 30, lets make them closer to 30 than 40 offs

Defenders have their best years after 30 but I'm sorry , at this stage of rebuilding 38 is too old and Hutton at 33 is questionable too ..

2 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

Defenders have their best years after 30 but I'm sorry , at this stage of rebuilding 38 is too old and Hutton at 33 is questionable too ..

Hutton’s main attribute was his speed he’d not be near as effective at 33 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Hutton’s main attribute was his speed he’d not be near as effective at 33 

He's changed a lot as a player since he was at us though. Certainly lost a lot of his old pace but possibly a better all round player now. Been a regular in an Aston Villa side which reached the Championship playoff final as well, mostly playing at left back. We need more full backs anyway, and Hutton would provide an option on both flanks. At the moment Tavernier and John have pretty much no competition for their places so I reckon would be an astute signing. 

McAuley would have been a great signing a few years ago but I'm pretty skeptical as to how much he'd provide at 38. Said the same about Clint Hill though so who knows.

Some of the signings so far are worrying as they are all a bit hit and hope.

11 hours ago, West_Side said:

He's changed a lot as a player since he was at us though. Certainly lost a lot of his old pace but possibly a better all round player now. Been a regular in an Aston Villa side which reached the Championship playoff final as well, mostly playing at left back. We need more full backs anyway, and Hutton would provide an option on both flanks. At the moment Tavernier and John have pretty much no competition for their places so I reckon would be an astute signing. 

McAuley would have been a great signing a few years ago but I'm pretty skeptical as to how much he'd provide at 38. Said the same about Clint Hill though so who knows.

I liked big Clint but ultimately he played in a terrible side...if we are to challenge the tims we will need far superior centre backs than the Clint hills of this world

18 hours ago, Smile said:

Some of the signings so far are worrying as they are all a bit hit and hope.

If I was the manager, knowing that nowadays you struggle to keep your cards close to your chest, I would lull the scum into a false sense of security by linking dross to us while keeping the real signings completely under the radar.

This is what is keeping me from more Rangers related depression.

I hope there are some more "names" that I do not have to google in the transfer section every time I have a look but it seems the same old, then again Gerrard aint going to stand by the John Greig statue with a megaphone announcing targets to all passers by.

20 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

If I was the manager, knowing that nowadays you struggle to keep your cards close to your chest, I would lull the scum into a false sense of security by linking dross to us while keeping the real signings completely under the radar.

This is what is keeping me from more Rangers related depression.

I hope you're right. 

• Like 1