i want a solid back 4 not 2 solid centre backs and 2 fairies either end 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Have we been linked to any full backs?

Exactly this

No point fixing part of the problem. 

21 minutes ago, Mols94 said:

I think having two solid centre backs and a decent sitting midfielder will make a world of difference to Tavernier and John. 

Not against a team with decent width i.e the tarriers 

I'm sorry but it's fantasy land stuff to think 2 good center backs and we are fine ... we could have had Weir and Amoruso last season at the back but would still have been vulnerable with crosses coming in, other teams getting to the bye-line.... Tav and John and absolutely nowhere to be seen at times - there's only so much 2 defenders can do - good defenders or otherwise.

We must ramp the full back situation up or it will be counter-productive spending all this money on 2 center halfs. It's madness to even suggest otherwise IMO.

That said, that's only if we are playing 4 at the back.

I'm personally hoping it's a 3-5-2 and Alves is in alongside with Katic and Goldson.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'm sorry but it's fantasy land stuff to think 2 good center backs and we are fine ... we could have had Weir and Amoruso last season at the back but would still have been vulnerable with crosses coming in, other teams getting to the bye-line.... Tav and John and absolutely nowhere to be seen at times - there's only so much 2 defenders can do - good defenders or otherwise.

We must ramp the full back situation up or it will be counter-productive spending all this money on 2 center halfs. It's madness to even suggest otherwise IMO.

I'm personally hoping it's a 3-5-2 and Alves is in alongside with Katic and Goldson.

I honestly think it'll be a back 3 , Alves sweeping up and Katic and Goldson either side dealing with winning the first ball.

Just now, Orangeclement said:

I honestly think it'll be a back 3 , Alves sweeping up and Katic and Goldson either side dealing with winning the first ball.

That's absolutely fine by me (provided as I keep saying it's not then a 4-man midfield with 2 wingers or Tav and John playing - as that's just so counter-productive and we will end up having the same problems again)

24 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Have we been linked to any full backs?

I'm hoping we go 3-5-2 and more flexible than 4 at the back. In that set up we may get more out of what we have. A bit of presence up front wouldn't go amiss. I don't think we will have the resources or time to get in the numbers with the uplift in quality in this window. 

We have to shift bodies as well as get more in and the world cup will distract a lot of clubs. We need players in before the training camp in Spain or they won't be ready for the start of the Europa League. 

• Like 1

I think the spine will be the focus.

19 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think big Bruno will look a lot better next to Katic & Goldson.  3-5-2 or 3-4-3 looks to be the way things are shaping up.

Just now, bluenoz said:

I think big Bruno will look a lot better next to Katic & Goldson.  3-5-2 or 3-4-3 looks to be the way things are shaping up.

I agree. With 3 at the back you have the luxury of being able to play center backs who aren't 100% perfect in their own ways ... for example Alves is slow, so Katic makes up for that, Goldson might not be the best in the air so Alves makes up for that, Katic apparently isn't great at passing so perhaps Goldson is a big ball playing tank ... Katic and Goldson are both young, Alves is the mature head in amongst it ... so yeah, it can be a good mix and blend provided all 3 of them have an understanding and agree to all pull in same direction.

That's only on paper though - football isn't played on paper so we'll have to see.

• Like 1

If we want to utilise the full backs properly we should be switching to a 3-5-2 and playing them as wing backs

• Like 4

Get the spine sorted then fix the edges we aint fixing everything in 1 window 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

If we want to utilise the full backs properly we should be switching to a 3-5-2 and playing them as wing backs

the full backs we have have no place in a team challenging for a title ...playing them both in that formation just gives them a bit extra protection without them doing much for us. 

In a midfield 5 give me a shit-hot winger, Arfield on the left, McCrorie the holding midfielder and a couple of quality central midfield signings creative-wise and I'd be very confident. Shame Dorrans hasn't lived up to hype or he could have been one of the 2 still needed for that set-up.

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Get the spine sorted then fix the edges we aint fixing everything in 1 window 

Yes we can - if there's a desire to.

I keep hearing what you say there and it's utter bollocks. 

There's no point spending good money on 2 center backs, if you still have them 2 clowns either side of them. 

Hopefully we go 343

Can Candeias play left midfield cause? I think Tav will take his Right midfield position 

If not I can see him on the bench  with arfield playing LM beside Rossiter and dorrans as things stand right now 

Central midfield needs fixing before fullbacks do, happy with Arfield, Ejaria is whatever, but I still think we need a quality player in the middle of the park. Then we need another striker or 2, then a left back. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

There's no point spending good money on 2 center backs, if you still have them 2 clowns either side of them. 

Ok i'll put it like this nearly every single person on here says we need 12/13 maybe even 14 players we aint getting them all this window. So we should and are prioritizing and the spine comes first

2/3 CB 2/3 CM and 2 forwards thats of urgent need now if we get all them in and of a decent quality its been a fantastic window  

39 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

352 with wingbacks? That actually sounds good. Doubt it though considering the wingers we are bringing in 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think its much harder in this window because of the time factors. We need bids in for our players and work on getting bodies in asap. 

If we had finances available up front you'd be spot on but, realistically, we need decent money in before we can get the quality we all want. Several factors go against getting it done in this window and not all of them are in Rangers control.

There is an effective role for Tav in a 3-5-2.

1 minute ago, RFC Eagle said:

I think its much harder in this window because of the time factors. We need bids in for our players and work on getting bodies in asap. 

If we had finances available up front you'd be spot on but, realistically, we need decent money in before we can get the quality we all want. Several factors go against getting it done in this window and not all of them are in Rangers control.

I do understand we will have to do a bit of prioritising due to time factors (I think our first game competitive game is 4 weeks away) but I really can't get on board with this notion that we have to accept half-measures with no real reason attached to it ... we might have a short space of time before our first European game, but it's a long window overall.

Rangers fans have this romantic notion of James Taverneir and you can read them all going out of their way to suggest systems to accomodate him ... right back, right midfielder, right winger, wing back as part of a 5-man midfield etc - he's rank rotten, can't defend and over-rated going forward (although he's still better going forward than he is any aspect of defending, granted) 

Point is, if we settle for half-measures during this rebuild we will keep finding ourselves back at square one again and again. It's so predictiable and frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

No there's not ... give me Murphy or Candaies over him any day on that right hand side. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The reason I hope its 3-4-3 is wide right of the 4 in midfield  gives him the freedom to attack whist the rest cover the space he leaves behind 

3-5-2  still gives him the responsibility of the right hand side of the park. The minute hes caught out of position the shape will go to fuck as we try and cover for him

Just now, KingKirk said:

The reason I hope its 3-4-3 is wide right of the 4 in midfield  gives him the freedom to attack whist the rest cover the space he leaves behind 

3-5-2  still gives him the responsibility of the right hand side of the park. The minute hes caught out of position the shape will go to fuck as we try and cover for him

I believe he will have a significant role to play under Gerrard and probably in a more forward role. We just need to convince Kai of this.