Just now, bluenoz said:

I believe he will have a significant role to play under Gerrard and probably in a more forward role. We just need to convince Kai of this.

Good as long as he no asked to defend in and around our box am on board 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I do understand we will have to do a bit of prioritising due to time factors (I think our first game competitive game is 4 weeks away) but I really can't get on board with this notion that we have to accept half-measures with no real reason attached to it ... we might have a short space of time before our first European game, but it's a long window overall.

Rangers fans have this romantic notion of James Taverneir and you can read them all going out of their way to suggest systems to accomodate him ... right back, right midfielder, right winger, wing back as part of a 5-man midfield etc - he's rank rotten, can't defend and over-rated going forward (although he's still better going forward than he is any aspect of defending, granted) 

Point is, if we settle for half-measures during this rebuild we will keep finding ourselves back at square one again and again. It's so predictiable and frustrating. 

I think Candeias would do the job on the right in a 3-5-2. I'm not tallking half measures its just the time and available finance factor thats the issue as far as how long it will take. I don't think Tav is quite as bad as you think but theres better out there.

I think we may be looking at the January window to really see the improvement in qualty in every area. I'd like to be wrong, there isn't anyone from last season who can't be replaced in the rebuild.

Tav is pish man. John may improve further forward but I doubt it. 

We need to be stopping crosses just as much as we are dealing with them in the box 3-5-2 or not.

1 minute ago, RFC Eagle said:

I think Candeias would do the job on the right in a 3-5-2. I'm not tallking half measures its just the time and available finance factor thats the issue as far as how long it will take. I don't think Tav is quite as bad as you think but theres better out there.

I think we may be looking at the January window to really see the improvement in qualty in every area. I'd like to be wrong, there isn't anyone from last season who can't be replaced in the rebuild.

I honestly do believe with the right scouting, realistic funds and most of all a desire to do so then it can be done in the summer window ... granted not every signing will work out that's just the nature of it but put some serious thought and work into it then it could only need tweeking in January ... to spend a lot of money on 2 center halfs, but have 2 pish full-backs or go 3 at the back and move the pish full backs into key positions in midfield is utter suicide in my eyes

Tav is damaged goods and has been part of all these failures last couple of years - he isn't as bad as I'm making out as a player, but he's no use to Rangers he's a major part of the rot. There's no case for keeping him in a team trying to become accustomed to winning again when failure is ingrained in this guy.

I’d have no problems with Tav and John as wing backs in a 3-5-2.

• Like 1

Just now, DBBTB said:

I’d have no problems with Tav and John as wing backs in a 3-5-2.

Your an intelligent guy too! c'mon 

Really hoping we cash in on Tav but think John could be a decent LWB

Alves’ season has been absolutely retconned.

Yeah I’m not too worried about the Full Backs tbh there’s other positions that urgently need attention Tav & John are solid players not world beaters but get the Job done most games 

John was literally the second worst full back in the entire league at stopping crosses. 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Not against a team with decent width i.e the tarriers 

I'm sorry but it's fantasy land stuff to think 2 good center backs and we are fine ... we could have had Weir and Amoruso last season at the back but would still have been vulnerable with crosses coming in, other teams getting to the bye-line.... Tav and John and absolutely nowhere to be seen at times - there's only so much 2 defenders can do - good defenders or otherwise.

We must ramp the full back situation up or it will be counter-productive spending all this money on 2 center halfs. It's madness to even suggest otherwise IMO.

That said, that's only if we are playing 4 at the back.

I'm personally hoping it's a 3-5-2 and Alves is in alongside with Katic and Goldson.

Nail on head as usual K. Quite scary how much I agree with almost everything  you say. It used to be The Godfather

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RDFM said:

John was literally the second worst full back in the entire league at stopping crosses. 

Was Tav the worst?

I think the formation will be something like this:

1.thumb.PNG.4ecc3701ea9b4469b0e357df5851e976.PNG

John and Wallace as options at LWB.  Tavernier and Candeias as options at RWB.  

We already have Murphy and Morelos who can fit in to the above formation.  It looks like we're targeting other inside forward options in Kent and Wilson.  Sadiq is perhaps competition for Morelos at CF.  

My biggest concern would be the midfield two.  We've been overrun in their for years and if we go with only two in the middle they would need to be really strong and competitive.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

Was Tav the worst?

One of these stat accounts on twitter claimed we lost only 6 of our league goals from Taverniers side of the pitch last season.  More came from the left with the vast majority of goals coming straight through the middle.

18 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Tav is / was worse. Never knows where opponents or teammates are. Never knows where he should be. Can't tackle & absolutely hopeless in the air.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

One of these stat accounts on twitter claimed we lost only 6 of our league goals from Taverniers side of the pitch last season.  More came from the left with the vast majority of goals coming straight through the middle.

Do the stats relate to the area of the pitch from which the goal was set up, or the area in which the goal was ultimately converted?

11 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yeah but the stats don't tell you how many times a move broke down with him and as Ronnie said above the other factors.

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think the formation will be something like this:

1.thumb.PNG.4ecc3701ea9b4469b0e357df5851e976.PNG

John and Wallace as options at LWB.  Tavernier and Candeias as options at RWB.  

We already have Murphy and Morelos who can fit in to the above formation.  It looks like we're targeting other inside forward options in Kent and Wilson.  Sadiq is perhaps competition for Morelos at CF.  

My biggest concern would be the midfield two.  We've been overrun in their for years and if we go with only two in the middle they would need to be really strong and competitive.  

That should, quite simply, prove my point exactly what I'm talking about.

Just look at it for a minute ffs ...2 center midfielders left to deal with the lot if we don't turn every attack into a goal or have a sustained period of pressure in the final third.

I hope and pray Gerrard doesn't under-estimate what we need and the game we play up here the way some of you do.

Not one lesson learned from last season with a team like that. Utter madness.

Maybe Ryan Kent who we’ve been linked with has been earmarked for a wingback role?

Playing with wing backs and wingers/inside forwards would be a disaster.

If we play “3-4-3” it should be with a player as a ten to either press or drop in and make it a midfield three when we aren’t in possession and two out and out strikers up front.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah but the stats don't tell you how many times a move broke down with him and as Ronnie said above the other factors.

That should, quite simply, prove my point exactly what I'm talking about.

Just look at it for a minute ffs ...2 center midfielders left to deal with the lot if we don't turn every attack into a goal or have a sustained period of pressure in the final third.

I hope and pray Gerrard doesn't under-estimate what we need and the game we play up here the way some of you do.

Not one lesson learned from last season with a team like that. Utter madness.

100pct. I would bet everything I have whatever Gerrard May get wrong it won’t be allowing us to be over run/out numbered in the middle of the park.  

I expect us to watch some games next year we squeeze the life out of...........but win :tu:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If we play “3-4-3” it should be with a player as a ten to either press or drop in and make it a midfield three when we aren’t in possession and two out and out strikers up front.

I'd call that a 3-5-2.  In fact, it would be the exact same system MON used.  I'm not against that I think it's a very good formation and would love to see us replicate it with big powerful and competitive players.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

That's absolutely fine by me (provided as I keep saying it's not then a 4-man midfield with 2 wingers or Tav and John playing - as that's just so counter-productive and we will end up having the same problems again)

Come to think of it going by the targets we are linked with it would probably point to a 4-3-3 seeing as most of them are wingers or forwards .

Just now, Orangeclement said:

Come to think of it going by the targets we are linked with it would probably point to a 4-3-3 seeing as most of them are wingers or forwards .

If so then we doomed to failed but to be fair to Gerrard it’s all just guesswork just now on everyone’s parts how he wants to line up 

17 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

If so then we doomed to failed but to be fair to Gerrard it’s all just guesswork just now on everyone’s parts how he wants to line up 

In his book time and again he talks about games being won and lost in the middle of the park and teams being outnumbered is a constant theme.  He uses the Istanbul final as an example, with Hamann coming on at HT and sitting deep beside him, said he was stunned Rafa left them so exposed in the first half, granted it was a superb AC Milan team but he talks about the principle often - theme being controlling the middle of the park.  

Now he wouldn’t be the first not to walk the talk but he talks about it so much I’d be stunned.  I think we will be very compact in the middle.  

The throught of us controlling games again and not looking constantly vulnerable, well,  I for one can’t fucking wait.