18 minutes ago, markem said:

In his book time and again he talks about games being won and lost in the middle of the park and teams being outnumbered is a constant theme.  He uses the Istanbul final as an example, with Hamann coming on at HT and sitting deep beside him, said he was stunned Rafa left them so exposed in the first half, granted it was a superb AC Milan team but he talks about the principle often - theme being controlling the middle of the park.  

Now he wouldn’t be the first not to walk the talk but he talks about it so much I’d be stunned.  I think we will be very compact in the middle.  

The throught of us controlling games again and not looking constantly vulnerable, well,  I for one can’t fucking wait. 

I just need substance no one talked a better game than Warburton and Pedro when it came to winning battles in key areas, responsibility and hard work 

• Like 2

We need some decent full backs but I can't think of any that are available. I hope we are scouting some. At the moment our FBs are not great and their cover (Hodson,Beerman) I don't want to think about.

46 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

We need some decent full backs but I can't think of any that are available. I hope we are scouting some. At the moment our FBs are not great and their cover (Hodson,Beerman) I don't want to think about.

I think if we bring in key centre backs we wont use the "full back" formation and opt for wingers... 3 5 2 formation.

Just speculating

• Like 1

I’m expecting something like this. 

With the number 10 dropping deep when needed.

Arfield shuffling left when needed.

Tav being given a bit of license to go forward. 

1 hour ago, Ryju84 said:

I think if we bring in key centre backs we wont use the "full back" formation and opt for wingers... 3 5 2 formation.

Just speculating

Possibly but the players playing out wide in that formation have to be able to defend as well as attack and I am not sure Tav and John are great at the defending side. 

3 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

Possibly but the players playing out wide in that formation have to be able to defend as well as attack and I am not sure Tav and John are great at the defending side. 

Finding a player that has both the attacking and defensive ability people want is the issue. Tav and John, from my viewpoint, are more suited to the modern game. There aren't many genuine full backs around at the top level. Look, as an example, at Man United with Valencia and Young, neither are great defensively but fit the system. 

I don't think its a long term fix but I think we have bigger priorities in other positions as it stands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Finding a player that has both the attacking and defensive ability people want is the issue. Tav and John, from my viewpoint, are more suited to the modern game. There aren't many genuine full backs around at the top level. Look, as an example, at Man United with Valencia and Young, neither are great defensively but fit the system. 

I don't think its a long term fix but I think we have bigger priorities in other positions as it stands.

Got to say that's a really good point and you are right we have other areas requiring attention first.

16 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Yes we can - if there's a desire to.

I keep hearing what you say there and it's utter bollocks. 

There's no point spending good money on 2 center backs, if you still have them 2 clowns either side of them. 

Honestly astounds me people still can't see that. 

A solid tight knit defence is the foundation of any title winning side not just solid centre half's. Always has been. 

Still believe even with that in place, we need at least another three quality additions further up the park to topple the taigs though. 

19 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Not against a team with decent width i.e the tarriers 

I'm sorry but it's fantasy land stuff to think 2 good center backs and we are fine ... we could have had Weir and Amoruso last season at the back but would still have been vulnerable with crosses coming in, other teams getting to the bye-line.... Tav and John and absolutely nowhere to be seen at times - there's only so much 2 defenders can do - good defenders or otherwise.

We must ramp the full back situation up or it will be counter-productive spending all this money on 2 center halfs. It's madness to even suggest otherwise IMO.

That said, that's only if we are playing 4 at the back.

I'm personally hoping it's a 3-5-2 and Alves is in alongside with Katic and Goldson.

I will be very surprised if that's NOT the shape we will play, mate. I started thinking that way when I saw the type of player we were looking to sign and the number of midfielders we already have. I could be putting 4+4 together and coming up with 9, but I reckon you are on the ball with this one. Definitely, the way to go this season.

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

1BD345DB-6919-4C1F-87BD-C57CB7A63A4A.png

Jesus

2 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I will be very surprised if that's NOT the shape we will play, mate. I started thinking that way when I saw the type of player we were looking to sign and the number of midfielders we already have. I could be putting 4+4 together and coming up with 9, but I reckon you are on the ball with this one. Definitely, the way to go this season.

3-5-2 was the preferred formation for Gerrard with the Liverpool u18s. 

I expect as well it's the formation he's looking to implement for us. 

I think a 3rd CB will come in but as gut feeling is alves wants to go. 

26 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

3-5-2 was the preferred formation for Gerrard with the Liverpool u18s. 

I expect as well it's the formation he's looking to implement for us. 

I think a 3rd CB will come in but as gut feeling is alves wants to go. 

That's quite interesting as I never saw his U/18's play, but by his signings and rumoured signings, it looks as if he's leaning towards that system for us.to play it,. = Strong central defenders, midfielders who are comfortable on the ball and know what to do without it; although I still think we are still a few short. The biggest problem at this particular moment is the full backs, because although our current pair are potent going forward, they can't defend for shit

We have no idea who else we are targetting (if any) and we have no idea whether Alves wants to leave, or indeed if Gerrard wants to keep him, so it's going to be an interesting transfer window to see what we finally end up with.

We need cover in both full back areas. Tavernier and John are alright but any injuries to them and we are in trouble.

Assuming we are getting rid of Hodson and Wallace. And I sincerely hope Halliday is not around to even be considered playing at LB.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Ok i'll put it like this nearly every single person on here says we need 12/13 maybe even 14 players we aint getting them all this window. So we should and are prioritizing and the spine comes first

2/3 CB 2/3 CM and 2 forwards thats of urgent need now if we get all them in and of a decent quality its been a fantastic window  

I think there will easily be around 12+ signings this window. If Goldson signs that will be 5 already and there will be players still going out that will be replaced. Long way to go before the window shuts.

Murphy doesn’t have the pace to play as a wing back IMO so I think he’ll play in the hole (Ejaria hasn’t been brought here as a starter IMO) or as a second striker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goosetav said:

Jesus

Bless you.

5 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

1BD345DB-6919-4C1F-87BD-C57CB7A63A4A.png

The classic 3-2-2-2-1.

Just now, ben51 said:

The classic 3-2-2-2-1.

Champ Man Loyal. 

If we’re going 3-5-2 or something along those lines then Tavernier is fine for the right side. I’m not a huge fan of John though and would rather get a new left sided player. Also any team with Alves in it is wrong. 

3 at the back a ball hair away from playing Alves and Cardoso while playing Tav and John as our widemen instead of our better wingers would give me nightmares, even more so if we still don't have a creative/box to box midfielder or two to suit the formation

I like the sound of the 3 at the back my only concern is Alves when he comes back after the WC he will need to try and build an understanding very quickly with Goldson and Katic or it could end up farcical, unless of course like expected there is more movement before then.

A left back/wing back is a necessity this summer. Wallace isn't good enough anymore and John is only a squad option. Who? I don't know. If I can only pick from the current squad then I wouldn't mind seeing what Candeias can do there. Has the engine and is a good crosser, obviously only being right footed may be a issue but it's a lot less of an issue than the ones John and Wallace have.

Using current squad only:-

McGregor

Goldson - Alves - Katic

Tav - McCrorie - Arfield - Candeias 

Murphy 

Morelos - Windass 

Scenes when the tactics are unchanged and the 1 upfront still doesn’t work 😂