Gerrard's captain for the season.

K.A.I

4 minutes ago, Goosetav said:

There will be something seriously wrong if he's not a mainstay in the team this season.

If he was to be it would need to be out of position in the defensive mid position as he is way out his depth at centre half.

If he is to play in the new role then he needs to get considerably better with his distribution and decision making if he wants to play most weeks.

Just now, plumbGER said:

If he was to be it would need to be out of position in the defensive mid position as he is way out his depth at centre half.

If he is to play in the new role then he needs to get considerably better with his distribution and decision making if he wants to play most weeks.

Defensive midfield shouldn't be considered out of position for him now

21 minutes ago, TMB said:

Last summer many wanted Alves to be given the armband based on his experience and reputation and what a mistake that would've been.  Picking a captain isn't all about ability either.  celtic could sign a top player but Brown would remain as their captain because he's been loyal to them and displays the ned like values they appreciate.  Wallace is our captain and no one else has earned the right to take it off him.  

Regardless of if he was in the right or not do you really think a player who finished the season off by getting suspended by the club and then getting fined is still in a position to be the Rangers captain? That alone makes his position as captain untenable IMO.

32 minutes ago, TMB said:

For sticking by the club in 2012 he should be captain for as long as he's at the club.  I noticed some above me said McGregor but his actions in 2012 should be the reason he never wears that armband.  

I’d rather have some skill, passion, leadership and desire - ahead of “sticking around” to be honest  

Wallace has never really shown those tendencies except perhaps in his first season with us  

Even looking past the incident with Wallace at the end of last season, he’s been the club captain during some of the worst results in our history. There comes a point where you have to look past sentiment and do what is best for the club and we are at that point now.

29 minutes ago, TMB said:

He's a good full-back at SPFL level.  He had a hard time with injures last season but that certainly hasn't been the story of his career.  Labelling him as "perma-injured" is inaccurate.  Lee Wallace has been a solid professional for us on and off the pitch and if he did in fact punch Murty I'd give him legendary status right now.  Getting in amongst it to support the players against a shite manager is exactly what the captain should be doing.

Supporting the players? They should have been getting punched about as well 

43 minutes ago, TMB said:

For sticking by the club in 2012 he should be captain for as long as he's at the club.  I noticed some above me said McGregor but his actions in 2012 should be the reason he never wears that armband.  

That's not a good reason to get the captaincy. Nor a good reason to deny someone the captaincy. He was a poor captain. He never had it in him to grab a game by the balls if it wasn't going our way. 

We need our captain to be someone who can command respect from the rest of the team, and influence a game and pick the players up if things are going bad. 

I honestly saw more of that in Tav towards the end of the season than I ever have in Wallace.

At the moment it is difficult to say.

I have always liked Wallace but never thought he was vocal enough to be our captain, and we also do not know what his situation will be with his appeal and whether he will even stay, so for all these reasons I think we must have a new captain for next season.

I certainly hope it is not Tav, he has too many failures and embarrassments while being captain (I realise it was team failure but we cannot bring that negativity forward into another season IMO).

While I think McGregor could do the job (and to be honest I no longer care a fuck what he did 6 years ago, what lies ahead is far too important to worry about that), I am just not keen on keepers being captain. Buffon would probably disagree. :happy:

The lad Goldson at 25 and central defender is an option I might be happy with, but has no experience of what our Club is all about. 

I would like to see who else comes in before making a decision.

1 minute ago, Bruno's Manbun said:

That's not a good reason to get the captaincy. Nor a good reason to deny someone the captaincy. He was a poor captain. He never had it in him to grab a game by the balls if it wasn't going our way. 

We need our captain to be someone who can command respect from the rest of the team, and influence a game and pick the players up if things are going bad. 

I honestly saw more of that in Tav towards the end of the season than I ever have in Wallace.

One run against Hibs changes nothing, came out and said he was happy with a point against Aberdeen, shat the bed twice against the Tarriers as well.

Wallace hasn't stuck up for our players when we have been hacked, sliced, wrongly sent off etc... he shits out of confrontation with refs and allows the opposite captain to dictate.

Keep him as a player, but not captain.

14 minutes ago, Goosetav said:

Defensive midfield shouldn't be considered out of position for him now

Well here's hoping he's working on the attributes he is lacking for that role.

I like him, he's a good honest wee player, but he has a lot of improving if he wants to play regularly as part of a title winning team imo.

I think at this moment in time it's between Goldson and Shagger. I'd be surprised if it's not the latter though.

Tav maybe in with a shout just because he captained the team last season, but can't see that happening personally.

The only other scenario is that Gerrard still has a target in mind for that captain role, although we need to start shifting some players as well, especially in the centre of midfield.