Scotland 78: A Love Story

33 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

In Argentina , he only played in the game against the Dutch . Spain '82 , I'm think he captained the side . To be fair to McLeod , Rioch & Masson had done well in the qualifiers but by the Home Internationals it's fair to say they were struggling to achieve that previous form , and Souness , Gemmill and Hartford all had decent claims to be first choice for the tournament proper but Ally was loyal to a fault when it came to certain players , His choice of putting his old Aberdeen player Joe Harper before DJ, who had just scored 38 goals in a treble winning side , sums that up .

Was that not in response to SAF leaving him out of the Uruguay game in Mexico 86 ?

Yes, my mistake

It was a travesty that DJ never played. Rioch and Masson’s legs were gone by the summer of ‘78.

I actually felt bad for Ally MacLeod as he genuinely thought we were gonna win it. 

I just wished the BBC wouldn’t have pushed the SNP propaganda during the program. Impartial? Aye right. :sarcasm:

I was 11 and this is the first World Cup I have clear memories of- I remember jumping up on the coffee table when Archie scored THAT goal.

It was the dark blue shorts that jinxed us in the first 2 games!

1982 was my favourite World Cup-some classic matches.