David Mellor

Virtuoso

I've got nothing against England, I like the place and most of the English I know are good people, but when it comes to international football, the English tv pundits are so far up themselves that I find myself wanting them to fail. Preferably in another penalty shoot out with Germany. 

I can't support Scotland, my aunt was German, I like the Germans so I support the Germans. In fact if the Jacobite XI had a friendly against Germany I'd go, if only to support the Germans.

38 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

I've got nothing against England, I like the place and most of the English I know are good people, but when it comes to international football, the English tv pundits are so far up themselves that I find myself wanting them to fail. Preferably in another penalty shoot out with Germany. 

I can't support Scotland, my aunt was German, I like the Germans so I support the Germans. In fact if the Jacobite XI had a friendly against Germany I'd go, if only to support the Germans.

I know it’s a common opinion mate but I just don’t get that, sure they have the odd gobby bastard amongst them but I rarely watch them and think they’re so full of themselves in regards to the national team. I do get that more when they talk about the EPL.  Mibbie I need to listen more.  

Overall I’m neither here nor there with them (international team) tbh but I do think that much of the things anti English Scots don’t like about he English is more about their own complex/bias. (Not pointing that at you btw, I know where you stand). 

International football is utter shite really. 

If it’s another country’s national team that you watch on tv and have never been to a an actual game then you’re not a ‘supporter’. You’re just a guy watching TV. 

The we support England, they support Ireland, diddy teams support Scotland stuff is tragically cringeworthy.

Cant wait until Rangers are back in action. 

One thing I did used to enjoy about international football was when I was a wean, my Dad used to do a wee World Cup or European Championship comp where we would all stick in a tenner - there was 5 of us in the house me, my wee Brother, Mum, Dad and Gran and we'd guess the predictions of every game and you predicted the scores and results and got like 3 points exact correct score, 1 point a result, a bonus point for guessing who finishes top of their groups etc and I always won because I was right into football as a kid and no-one had come close to having the same knowledge I did :lol: my winnings always bought me the Rangers away top that summer for going off on holiday with - good times.

Also went to Holland vs Ireland at the USA World Cup in 1994 when I was on holiday and I really enjoyed that as a kid (especially seeing Bonner throw the ball into the net near the start of the game) .. that was geared up to a good experience for kids .. free juice, big tables laid out with Paninni stickers kids could help themselves to, football magazines too .. all free .. was class.

But I found I grew out of it all really quickly as I got older 

I've enough to worry about supporting Rangers never mind being a tartan tranny or supporting whoever England are playing. Not sure what's more tragic out the two.

International football could finish tomorrow and I wouldn't care less. I loved USA 94 when I was a wee guy, it was my first world cup and back in them days all the teams and players are all new to you.

As you get older you realise it's just x amount of weeks without seeing Rangers. Sooner the teddies are back the better.

1 hour ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

And if you're talking arrogance in football... the Germans make the English look shy and retiring.

I've never found that to be the case. I have German relatives and I'd identify as German before I ever would Scottish.

50 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

But on topic, I don't equate supporting England at the World Cup to backing Britain in the same sense I don't see that midden, fenian fest of a Scottish national team having a monopoly on all things Scottish patriotism either (when arseholes try and say you aint Scottish support your country)

I honestly can't stand international football - including the World Cup. I'd disband it all tomorrow. I'm a Rangers fan not a general football fan.

I honestly think the last international game I sat and watched in full was the last World Cup final where Germany pumped Brazil 7 or 8 nil and that was only because I was in work and the boss was in and left the TV on in the background so watched it to pass the time. 

However, all that said I won't be supporting England not because I hate the English national team - I don't - It just doesn't interest me at all.

But I won't be one of these Jocks sat at home wishing England to get fucked like a large percentage of this midden fest wee country of ours, Scotland.

I could probably have typed that out myself, pretty much my thoughts.

51 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

However, all that said I won't be supporting England not because I hate the English national team - I don't - It just doesn't interest me at all.

Sums it up for me as well. I’ve lived in England all my life and have always been asked why I don’t support England. The answer is “because I don’t”. You don’t choose to support a team, you either want them to win, deep down, or you don’t. You either get a thrill out of them scoring and winning, or you don’t. And international football just leaves me cold.

Even when I used to “support” Scotland as a kid (mainly because of my dad), the feeling when Scotland won is not even comparable to when Rangers win.

1 minute ago, Ger_onimo said:

Sums it up for me as well. I’ve lived in England all my life and have always been asked why I don’t support England. The answer is “because I don’t”. You don’t choose to support a team, you either want them to win, deep down, or you don’t. You either get a thrill out of them scoring and winning, or you don’t. And international football just leaves me cold.

Even when I used to “support” Scotland as a kid (mainly because of my dad), the feeling when Scotland won is not even comparable to when Rangers win.

It's not a question of Scotland being shite either because that's something I've heard too (if Scotland were playing in tournaments you'd support them) wrong. 

I remember laughing like fuck when Tom Boyd scored that own goal against Brazil in the last tournament while some others in the house were almost in tears :lol: ... I've got a couple of German fans from Dusseldorf who support Rangers and honestly, when Germany won that last World Cup they kinda came across as "meh" ... they had no time for a rampant international team of theirs either .. I dare say there's a few people like that worldwide who just support their club teams and nothing else comes close.

2 hours ago, HuistraHairDo said:

if England are still in the WC on 12th July and have to play the same time as us, I know who I'll be watching.

bit of quality in the qualification round for the Europa league will do me.

I'd like to think every single Rangers fan would choose watching us over England in that scenario 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

BP9 won't like this ... I mind having a discussion with him a year or so ago when he was giving it the Rangers are a broad church shite to justify handwringers and yessers supporting us, but seemed to have real, real problems with English guys supporting us because we are a Unionist club ... apparently the broad church shite doesn't extent to the English in his eyes, funny that. 

He never seemed to have an issue with me supporting Rangers and I'm English and a Unionist. Unless you meant, specifically supporting because of the Unionist link rather than being the quintessential British club. 

I can't understand any Englishman who supports the other mob for the life of me.