World Cup VR (BBC app)

9 hours ago, PSL said:

Anyone tried world cup virtual reality app? Trying it just now for the game that's on and I'm pretty impressed. Doubt I could sit with the daft headset on for 90+ minutes though

Just be normal and watch the game like everyone else? 

I tried it today during the France Australia game and it was okay. I like the idea of being able to see the whole pitch just like being at the game but the quality of the picture was lacking so a lot of the detail was lost. In particular I found the ball difficult to see when it was at the far side of the pitch. Kind of a deal breaker :lol:. If the quality of the picture could improve then it's definitely a great way of watching a game although not a very sociable one considering you have a big headset strapped to your face blocking out the outside world. In regards to quality I too was using Samsung Gear VR so can't comment on the picture quality of the higher end devices like HTC, Oculus Rift or even the PSVR. I wouldn't imagine they would be much better as I think it's more of a bandwidth issue than a hardware limitation. For 4k on a regular tv that takes up less than 10% of your field of view (based on my own living room) the BBC are recommending a 40mb connection and even then it has limited slots. That suggests a good picture with a full field of view would need even more bandwidth.

TL:DR

VR isn't ready just yet.

4 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

I tried it today during the France Australia game and it was okay. I like the idea of being able to see the whole pitch just like being at the game but the quality of the picture was lacking so a lot of the detail was lost. In particular I found the ball difficult to see when it was at the far side of the pitch. Kind of a deal breaker :lol:. If the quality of the picture could improve then it's definitely a great way of watching a game although not a very sociable one considering you have a big headset strapped to your face blocking out the outside world. In regards to quality I too was using Samsung Gear VR so can't comment on the picture quality of the higher end devices like HTC, Oculus Rift or even the PSVR. I wouldn't imagine they would be much better as I think it's more of a bandwidth issue than a hardware limitation. For 4k on a regular tv that takes up less than 10% of your field of view (based on my own living room) the BBC are recommending a 40mb connection and even then it has limited slots. That suggests a good picture with a full field of view would need even more bandwidth.

VR isn't ready just yet.

Could you repeat that please?

9 hours ago, Loyaleastend said:

Could you repeat that please?

Certainly

I tried it today during the France Australia game and it was okay. I like the idea of being able to see the whole pitch just like being at the game but the quality of the picture was lacking so a lot of the detail was lost. In particular I found the ball difficult to see when it was at the far side of the pitch. Kind of a deal breaker . If the quality of the picture could improve then it's definitely a great way of watching a game although not a very sociable one considering you have a big headset strapped to your face blocking out the outside world. In regards to quality I too was using Samsung Gear VR so can't comment on the picture quality of the higher end devices like HTC, Oculus Rift or even the PSVR. I wouldn't imagine they would be much better as I think it's more of a bandwidth issue than a hardware limitation. For 4k on a regular tv that takes up less than 10% of your field of view (based on my own living room) the BBC are recommending a 40mb connection and even then it has limited slots. That suggests a good picture with a full field of view would need even more bandwidth.

VR isn't ready just yet.

On 16/06/2018 at 19:38, Jamie0202 said:

VR isn't ready just yet.

impressed at that effort