Jim Baxter

Rupret

Best post war Scottish player ever. Just took charge of games and ran them. Used to double ball boys "wages" if every ball that went out in his side of the park they threw first to him. Sometimes used to hit throw ins off the back of the nearest player Rangers or otherwise to allow him to get on with the game.

Just now, Tom0411 said:

Best post war Scottish player ever. Just took charge of games and ran them. Used to double ball boys "wages" if every ball that went out in his side of the park they threw first to him. Sometimes used to hit throw ins off the back of the nearest player Rangers or otherwise to allow him to get on with the game.

Tbh not seen him in much Rangers footage, only Scotland, well especially 67

Also admin merge with , if you want, not point two topics

Only got to see him once in a midweek reserve game against c....c . His better days were past by then , but my grandad took me just to say I've seen Baxter , such was he held by him .

He had a great record against the tarriers and kept that up , even that night in a reserve match , that ended in a 1-1 draw with Graham Fyfe scoring iirc , against what was a pretty dominant c....c reserve side back then . 

42 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Proud to say I became good friends with him from 1978 on.  A really good guy, lots of stories and great company.

Used to pop into his pub back about then, Jim would often be in and Johnny Hamilton would be tending bar.  Got shafted by the board for the sake of basically a few bob per week, terrible decision. 

Wonderful arrogant(on the park) player.  I remember almost crying when he broke his leg against Austria Vienna iirc, we were listening at "play time" in the shed at school.  He was not the same player after that as a leg break was worse for a player back then.  I also recall going up to Muirton one miserable Wednesday night for his first game back for us and he was still a stand out.  :bow::bow::bow::bow::dance:

Watching that there and you can see the quality on the ball, football brain he had and could keep the ball for fun, if only we had someone like him now, no one in our squad is even close, also seen a bit of Barry Ferguson in him or should I say Barry might have had a bit of what Jim had. 

He was an absolute pleasure to watch. Trouble was that he could see a pass his team mates were unable to make never mind come up with. We were spoiled then with players like Baxter, Wee Wullie, Davey Wilson, Brand running games a level above everyone else.

Those were the days.:dance:

4 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Used to pop into his pub back about then, Jim would often be in and Johnny Hamilton would be tending bar.  Got shafted by the board for the sake of basically a few bob per week, terrible decision. 

Johnny was my next door neighbour until his very sad passing a couple of years ago.  He put me onto my current house and his wife is still my neighbour.   I met Johnny in Baxter's.

4 hours ago, Rupret said:

Outstanding show, signed for us for £17.50, crazy days, thst doesn't even cover Windass mascara these days.

I have got a program of Baxter, my dad went to British Army vs Rangers at Ibrox

Jim Baxter for the price of 5 pints, bargain of the century.

I seen him 2nd time around  and the legs and magic had gone, majestic in his first spell going by the  old footage.

Legendary player from a country that doesn't produce very much these days in the way of players.  Tragedy that he never played in a World Cup, that he never lasted longer.  At the time of the ECWC in Barcelona, he was only 32, pulling pints in a pub, his career and skills long gone.  As I said, legendary player but not a great professional.  When you consider how a model professional like Davie Wilson lasted, living the teetotal life, it makes you sad to see the wasted talent that was Jim Baxter

guy was simply unplayable. when you look at what he did with that old  T ball the way he could float a pass long or short he could put it on a tanner for his mate to run onto. seen him before and after he left not as classy when he came back but could see his brain working.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:08, superallysbears said:

Watching that there and you can see the quality on the ball, football brain he had and could keep the ball for fun, if only we had someone like him now, no one in our squad is even close, also seen a bit of Barry Ferguson in him or should I say Barry might have had a bit of what Jim had. 

Niko was the nearest to him probably in terms of similar style.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 01:04, harlands plater said:

I was first taken by my dad to see Rangers play in 1962 so I was lucky enough to see that legendary lineup although I don’t remember a lot about it, but I do know I had the privilege of watching Jim Baxter in his pomp.

I was an inconsolable eight year old when Slim Jim was sold to Sunderland and was delighted as much as my old man was when he returned from Forest, although he was only a shadow of the player he had been in the early years.

When he died in 2001 it was only a couple of weeks before my dad passed away and I felt I had lost my first two heroes at the same time.

Incidentally I’m in the still picture of Jim signing autographs in that television programme - or at least my left arm is.

BBC residuals man. Make a few quid lol.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:30, The Widow's Son said:

Legendary player from a country that doesn't produce very much these days in the way of players.  Tragedy that he never played in a World Cup, that he never lasted longer.  At the time of the ECWC in Barcelona, he was only 32, pulling pints in a pub, his career and skills long gone.  As I said, legendary player but not a great professional.  When you consider how a model professional like Davie Wilson lasted, living the teetotal life, it makes you sad to see the wasted talent that was Jim Baxter

A heads down, work hard Baxter would have played in 72, and WC 1974. In fact, with a fit Baxter, maybe we could have been at Mexico 70 as well.