Boss says we weren't fit enough last season

6 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2799142/Rangers-steven-gerrard-celtic-old-firm/

Prior to his appointment, Gerrard took in the derby clash at Ibrox when celtic had Jozo Simunovic sent off with the score at 2-2 and more than half an hour left on the clock.

The Liverpool legend fully expected the team he was about to inherit to make the numerical advantage count and steamroller the champions.
Instead, he watched in disbelief as ten-man celtic got a second wind and Rangers ran out of steam.

Gers were then blown away in two subsequent meetings by an aggregate scoreline of 9-0.

In the final game of the season at Easter Road they went from 3-0 down to 5-3 ahead, only to concede twice late on as Hibs salvaged a point.

For Gerrard, who prided himself on his impressive athletic prowess and stamina during a distinguished career, it was nowhere near good enough.
That’s why he has made fitness levels a priority over the next ten days at the club’s pre-season training camp in southern Spain.

He said: “The fitness is the thing that struck me most when watching them last season.

“If you want to play at the top end and fight for trophies, be in the running when the big prizes are given out, compete against the best, the first thing you have to do is be fit.

“You need to be ready for the challenges at the top level. If the fitness is not there, where do you go?

“You look at the group and where you can improve it and fitness is one of those areas.

“I watched Rangers close up in the Old Firm game at Ibrox and it was glaringly obvious to me that celtic were fitter and stronger on that occasion.

“It’s the easy thing to say ‘We didn’t get the luck’.

“But when you go into it in a bit more detail, if you’re a man up with that amount of time on the clock, I’d expect my team to run all over the opposition physically.

“I could also see signs of it in the last four or five games when I watched them as well. That’s probably a good reason why celtic have been quite successful.”

Gerrard has charged ex-Liverpool strength and conditioning coach Jordan Milsom with the task of knocking his squad into shape.

Milsom takes up the role as Rangers head of performance after spending the last eight years at Anfield.

Gerrard said: “It would have helped if they were fitter, stronger, in good shape, finely tuned and ready for the demands of football at the top level.

“If you’ve got all your squad finely tuned and in shape, it will help you.

“I’ve a lot of confidence in Jordan, who is an expert in that field. You can’t get any more qualified. Not just the qualifications but the way he goes about it, his mannerisms in the one-on-ones with the player and the dynamics in the gym and outside on the pitch. His delivery is spot on.”

While Gerrard will be working to get his players in peak physical condition during the Spanish trip, he will also assess whether those already at the club have the mental strength to cope with life at Rangers.

He said: “We all have to carry the burden of working for Rangers. I do, my staff do and the players have been told that’s the reality of it.

If you can’t carry the burden of playing for Rangers you’ll be found out pretty quickly and not just by the fans, but everyone looking in.

“You have to take that responsibility and the weight the badge brings. Nobody can escape that.”

Gerrard insists he will give everyone a chance to prove themselves.

He said: “What’s important for me is that I’ll judge everyone with a blank piece of paper.

There are places there up for grabs and I’ll know pretty soon who wants them.

“You have to earn them. It won’t just be given to them any more.

“Reputations and names, it’s not about that. It’s about the best players who are going to get results for us.”

The hard graft starts this morning in Spain, with Gerrard and No2 Gary McAllister anxious to start bonding with a squad which fractured under predecessor Graeme Murty.

Gerrard said: “The most important thing is for the players to get used to me and my staff and for the staff to get used to the players and start building relationships.

“We said to the players it is important we become one, we become a group and there are no cliques

“We are all after the same thing and that is success.

“The best way for us to do that is to fight for each other and pull in the right direction.

“Togetherness and team spirit, all these buzzwords you hear most pre-seasons, are what we’re looking for."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, if he can walk the walk and actually instill this ethos in the players, half the battle is won, Walter built teams who would run through walls for each other and him, with every word he convinces me that we've done the right thing in bringing him in, proof of the pudding and all that of course, recruitment being key but seeing the -players already  training yesterday after being up about 4am to catch a flight shows what he's all about, Good to see Morelos smiling in then Willie Vass pictures as well

Its as you say all about walking the walk, we've had promising interviews from previous managers and it doesn't mean much.

All about what happens on the pitch.

I’m not purposely taking a small bit of that out and ignoring the rest but how can he say everyone has a fresh start with a blank canvas to impress him after telling Cardoso, Holt, Hererra and Forrester to stay at home and find new clubs? I don’t get it? 

If it’s just lip service and cliche I’d rather he didn’t - I want him to be honest and just say a lot of these guys from last season will be gone because that’s what’s needed not second chances 

he’s spot on with the main gist, the fitness. We’ve not looked fit for years imo - does that mean Flannighan is gone?

1 minute ago, big blue Fin said:

It was obvious to everyone watching last season that the basic fitness level of the squad was just that. Basic.

I hope Gerrard can get this team turned round and winning games.

As a player he was renowned for being an obsessive trainer who left nothing even on a training pitch and tolerated no slacking from team mates, any player who cant or wont respond will be quickly found out by him, we've waiting a long time to have a manager with his ethos and I'm hoping the respect they should have for him will make them respond, Forrester is bang in trouble.

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I’m not purposely taking a small bit of that out and ignoring the rest but how can he say everyone has a fresh start with a blank canvas to impress him after telling Cardoso, Holt, Hererra and Forrester to stay at home and find new clubs? I don’t get it? 

If it’s just lip service and cliche I’d rather he didn’t - I want him to be honest and just say a lot of these guys from last season will be gone because that’s what’s needed not second chances 

he’s spot on with the main gist, the fitness. We’ve not looked fit for years imo - does that mean Flannighan is gone?

Well the Retard is reporting that Gerrard wants Holt, but the player is listening to offers so didnt go but may turn up to the camp as early as tomorrow.

Who knows whether the other players actually want to be with us or elsewhere, but I take your point.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

I think theres a fresh start and the stark raving obvious that you're not good enough,  in the case Cardoso, Hererra and Forrester, they were clearly out the picture anyway and need moving on, dont know what the script with Holt is,  I'm guessing the decision on him was already taken, hoping because the gaffer already has plans to strengthen his position, with Holt being too lightweight to be any use.

I think Gerrard is a straight shooter mate and doesnt talk for the sake of it, everything I know about him makes all he's said here very sincere

Just now, wewillfollowrangers said:

I think theres a fresh start and the stark raving obvious that you're not good enough,  in the case Cardoso, Hererra and Forrester, they were clearly out the picture anyway and need moving on, dont know what the script with Holt is,  I'm guessing the decision on him was already taken, hoping because the gaffer already has plans to strengthen his position, with Holt being to lightweight to be any use.

I think Gerrard is a straight shooter mate and doesnt talk for the sake of it, everything I know about him makes all he's said here very sincere

I dunno it still doesn't make any sense to me - if your a sharp shooter then tell us the deadwood from last season won't be here nevermind talking about getting their fitness up. That's alarm bells for me - but as I keep saying it's a long window - I expect some major moves out. There's just got to be.

13 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

“Togetherness and team spirit, all these buzzwords you hear most pre-seasons, are what we’re looking for." 

With all due respect to Gerrard Improving fitness is also one of the buzzwords we hear whenever a new manager takes over:

“Our fitness is good, we don’t want to hurry things unnecessarily, but our fitness is good and we are looking forward to the test at the weekend" - Mark Warburton prior to a friendly defeat to Burnley.

“We know what the club needs. We are working to bring those warriors that the club needs to help us to get to another level. And I really believe that, if things are going in that direction.  It’s very easy to be heroes for the Rangers fans. You just need to give everything on the pitch. That’s what they love. Of course you need to know the game and you need to have ability, but you need to show that passion" - Pedro Caixinha

I remember Ronny Delia banging on about the super fitness of his squad and how Leigh Griffiths was off the Irn Bru and all that shite. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I dunno it still doesn't make any sense to me - if your a sharp shooter then tell us the deadwood from last season won't be here nevermind talking about getting their fitness up. That's alarm bells for me - but as I keep saying it's a long window - I expect some major moves out. There's just got to be.

Remember last season mate when players who had already been told they weren't good enough were asked to play in a Euro qualifier, the reality is its gonna be the same story this summer for a few, to me its far more sensible psychology to offer an incentive to play out their skin rather than not giving a fuck.

Just now, wewillfollowrangers said:

Remember last season mate when players who had already been told they weren't good enough were asked to play in a Euro qualifier, the reality is its gonna be the same story this summer for a few, to me its far more sensible psychology to offer an incentive to play out their skin rather than not giving a fuck.

I honestly get that and I agree it makes sense but I have a genuine fear some of them will be getting another chance which will be a massive, massive mistake.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

With all due respect to Gerrard Improving fitness is also one of the buzzwords we hear whenever a new manager takes over:

“Our fitness is good, we don’t want to hurry things unnecessarily, but our fitness is good and we are looking forward to the test at the weekend" - Mark Warburton prior to a friendly defeat to Burnley.

“We know what the club needs. We are working to bring those warriors that the club needs to help us to get to another level. And I really believe that, if things are going in that direction.  It’s very easy to be heroes for the Rangers fans. You just need to give everything on the pitch. That’s what they love. Of course you need to know the game and you need to have ability, but you need to show that passion" - Pedro Caixinha

I remember Ronny Delia banging on about the super fitness of his squad and how Leigh Griffiths was off the Irn Bru and all that shite. 

We've had a succession of frauds in the dug out since Walter, I totally get the skepticism and weariness about listening to what our manager has got to say after what we've had but Gerrard may be new to management, but he's no fraud when it comes to fitness and working your socks off in training, the guy was obsessive.

2 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

We've had a succession of frauds in the dug out since Walter, Gerrard may be new to management, but he's no fraud when it comes to fitness and working your socks off in training, the guy was obsessive.

Gerrard comes to us with one years experience coaching an under-18 team and he hasn't even completed his badges yet.  Even if he does get the squad fit who's to say he'll know what he's doing beyond that?  He's never done this job before and we have no idea how good or bad it's going to be.  Gerrard could be just another fraud in that dugout.  Too many false dawns have made me cynical.  Talk of fitness being important is just repetition of things we've heard before.  Sounds great but so did the previous clowns in their interviews.  Murty actually received praise on here for the manner in which he spoke to the press (prior to us all finding out he was fucking clueless).  Thankfully the competitive games aren't too far away and we're going to see what this guy's really all about soon enough.

37 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I honestly get that and I agree it makes sense but I have a genuine fear some of them will be getting another chance which will be a massive, massive mistake.

Think he's being pragmatic mate, one of Walters greatest qualities, he knows the importance of the qualifiers, both to the club and to his tenure as manager and knows he has to fashion a team to negotiate them with what he has, he has to do a lot of work with these players in a short period of time, fitness, confidence and team spirit were all short under the previous shambles, but he must also realise we desperately need to strengthen and that we lack real quality, whether nor not we can move the duds on I dont think in the longer term they will be first team players anymore.

i know you view most of them as "damaged goods" and would ideally want a total clear out, if the will and the money was there I'd agree but in the short term, and specifically for the qualifiers, hes stuck with them.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Forrester I don’t really care about but Herrera who would think would at least be training if needed even on the bench the now. Not advocating for him to stay/start but seems random that they would just be culled

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

A mass clear out was never going to happen so he will have to use some of the players who failed miserably before. We know the players who are never going to make it so I don’t think Gerrard will take long to suss these chancers out. Nobody knows how this appointment is going to pan out but what we do know is that it is do or die this time,fuck it up and we are finished.

Just now, Dickie said:

A mass clear out was never going to happen so he will have to use some of the players who failed miserably before. We know the players who are never going to make it so I don’t think Gerrard will take long to suss these chancers out. Nobody knows how this appointment is going to pan out but what we do know is that it is do or die this time,fuck it up and we are finished.

Can anyone give me one good reason why a mass clear out was never going to happen?

ive still to get one when I ask - I think finances is a myth considering the amount Pedro got out the door last season 

it just bubbles down to desire to do so - anyone that makes excuses to the contrary is pretty deluded - Hodson and Halliday are on that flight to Spain whilst others have been told to stay at home but those 2 are the worst ... Tav has been kept despite rumoured decent offers from down south and he’s been a mainstay in every single debacle we’ve had .. he wants a fit Wallace back in the fold when he was captain for the worst results in our history under Pedro 

as I said the desire for a wholesale clear out isn’t there .. there’s obviously a few outs but as it stands it’s not enough 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Can anyone give me one good reason why a mass clear out was never going to happen?

ive still to get one when I ask - I think finances is a myth considering the amount Pedro got out the door last season 

it just bubbles down to desire to do so - anyone that makes excuses to the contrary is pretty deluded - Hodson and Halliday are on that flight to Spain whilst others have been told to stay at home but those 2 are the worst ... Tav has been kept despite rumoured decent offers from down south and he’s been a mainstay in every single debacle we’ve had .. he wants a fit Wallace back in the fold when he was captain for the worst results in our history under Pedro 

as I said the desire for a wholesale clear out isn’t there .. there’s obviously a few outs but as it stands it’s not enough 

There needs to be a mass clear out, but the personal contracts of many make that impossible.