Quinton “Cutty” Young

K.A.I

What’s older Bears memories of him? 

Had a supervisor in work the other night telling me about him coming back from a Rangers game in Turkey maybe 76’ he was sat next to him on the plane and he was drumming the wee table in front of him to the Sash loving it and Jock Wallace went through him for being unprofessional while travelling representing Rangers. 

Was doing a wee bit of reading and I know he had a fallout with Wallace but it seems odd being a Rangers first team player then going to East Fife, was he driven out? 

I really like listening to older Bears stories, I have so much more in common with them and can talk to them about Rangers a lot better than people my own age and younger - generally 

Scored our first goal in the newly formed premier league in 1975 against ra sellick. bobby Mckean had broken into the first team at that point and he more or less disappeared after that. 

Like someone else said - he didn’t put a shift in at the Albion and as far as Jock Wallace was concerned you were gone. 

Could be an exciting player or really poor. Just seemed to struggle with consistency. Maybe the training issue as highlighted by other posters had something to do with it.

The kind of player you wanted to see on the team sheet when he was left out, and sometimes when he was picked to play made you wonder why he wasn't left out ?

He was capable of taking players on though and iirc was a bit of a favourite among the support. It seemed everyone wanted him to do well 

38 minutes ago, one cutty young said:

I know Cutty well, worked together for years and still bump into him time to time. Proud proddy and a die hard bluenose through and through, pure hatred for them. He did have a fall out with the manager which meant he went too soon (in his opinion), used to hold court in our local (Welcome Inn, Drongan) telling stories of his time which are brilliant possibly exaggerated a little but i can confirm he knows all the words to our tunes and plays the flute. KB tattoo i with neither confirm or deny. 

Bud I also worked with Cutty ( briefly) in my early 20’s when we both worked for a company in Paisley.

Tbh he was just before my time at Rangers tho my older brother filled me in about him and it was a pleasure to meet him, great guy.

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

I remember him as a kind of poor man’s Bud Johnston, he had pace and could deliver a cross.

45 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Exactly what I was going to post, no disrespect to Cutty as wee Bud could be exceptional.

I can understand what you're saying but I with the disappointment of losing wee Bud , and Colin Stein for that matter , I was quite pleased , and surprised as I didn't really know him as a footballer at the time , on how similar a player he was to wee Bud , to the point that he wasn't as missed as he should have been . Obviously , a relatively successful season helped in that , of which Cutty played a big part . 

Im not saying he was as good as Bud , but I thought he was the same kind of player - tenacious , liked to beat a man , get to the byline to get a cross in and gave everything he could . 

MacLeod's Ayr United team had Cutty Young on one wing and Johnny Doyle on the other, with Alex Ingram (later a VW car dealer) as centre forward. They were quite a team. Cutty ended up with us and Doyle with celtic, of course.  I loved watching Cutty play, as he was a bit like Bud, albeit not quite in the same class. 

9 hours ago, K.A.I said:

What’s older Bears memories of him? 

Had a supervisor in work the other night telling me about him coming back from a Rangers game in Turkey maybe 76’ he was sat next to him on the plane and he was drumming the wee table in front of him to the Sash loving it and Jock Wallace went through him for being unprofessional while travelling representing Rangers. 

Was doing a wee bit of reading and I know he had a fallout with Wallace but it seems odd being a Rangers first team player then going to East Fife, was he driven out? 

I really like listening to older Bears stories, I have so much more in common with them and can talk to them about Rangers a lot better than people my own age and younger - generally 

Just shows how memory plays tricks on you - I thought he joined us from Ayr but seems it was via Coverntry