Gerrard to meet (involve) Walter

Ace

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard hopes to persuade Walter Smith to take up an advisory role at Ibrox

Gerrard firmly believes Smith, who had two hugely successful spells in charge at Ibrox, can still have a vital part to play at the club

STEVEN GERRARD is hoping former Rangers bosses Walter Smith and Graeme Souness can help him plot celtic’s downfall this season.

The new Gers manager revealed he is keen to get Smith on board as soon as possible so he can start picking his brains.

Gerrard firmly believes Smith, who had two hugely successful spells in charge at Ibrox, can still have a vital role to play at the club.

The Liverpool legend plans to speak with the 70-year-old when he returns from Rangers Spanish training camp later this week.

And he also refused to rule out the possibility of Smith being offered an advisory role as part of the new set-up.

He said: “My main priority right now is getting myself settled in Glasgow and getting myself settled in the role.

“Then I will certainly be leaning on the likes of Walter Smith and Graeme Souness and and bending their ears. — they will probably be getting sick of the sight of me.

“I have met Walter quite a few times. He is a top fella and I am really looking forward to sitting down with him. We will invite him in

Gerrard, who is in his first managerial role, reckons Smith’s vast knowledge of the Scottish game can prove invaluable.

He said: “I haven’t really thought about it in terms of roles or at what level we want to use him.

“I think we just want to get him round the table and have a chat with him — get his thoughts and his experience, how he saw last year and get some advice.

“I never got the chance to work with Greame at Liverpool, but I have done a couple of TV appearances with him and charity events with him and being a midfielder myself he is certainly someone who I look up to.

“So if I can get his ear as well it will only be to my advantage.”

Gerrard also has his former Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish on speed dial although he’s not quite sure he will pick up now, given his allegiances lie on the other side of Glasgow.

He said: “Kenny is my hero, if you are a young boy and you grow up in Liverpool, Kenny Dalglish is the man.

“I know he is a celtic man but we are friends and Kenny is that type of man. He is a real football man.

“He has given me many bits of advice over the years.

“Our relationship is very strong although he will probably let the phone ring out now!”

Gerrard, who hung up his boots two seasons ago at LA Galaxy, admits he’s known for the past five years management was the path he desperately wanted to follow.

He added: “Around the age of 32, 33 while I was still playing, I decided this is what I wanted to do because I loved the game. The game has been a big part of my life.

“I was at Liverpool from eight years of age and went full-time at 16 when I left school.

“From 16 to 36 it was all that I knew — full-time football, being around top players, top managers.

“That’s where the education had begun.

“Towards the end of my career I knew I wouldn’t really be able to just walk away from the game and go into anything else — football is all I know.

‘I’m not sitting here thinking that I’m a top manager.

“It is something that I will try and grow into, mould into and improve. I don’t want to stand still. I want to keep trying to grow.

“But this is what I’ve craved since I came out of a playing kit. I craved that responsibility, that pressure, that three important points at the weekend.

“Looking back at my playing career now, I feel as if I should’ve maybe played on for one more year.

Spartak Moscow'

“Not for the lifestyle in America. For the actual buzz of playing football. I went there to come out of Liverpool, just to breathe.

“Because I knew my Liverpool days were coming to an end and I knew emotionally I would’ve found that tough.

I used to love every single day going in and representing that club.

“So I’d have played on for football reasons. But, my wife got pregnant while I was out there in the MLS and it just made sense at the time to come back home.

“Now it’s just about experience, getting that experience, growing and improving.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2830441/Rangers-steven-gerrard-walter-smith-advisory-role/

I like that he Stevie said he looked up to Souness as a player . I think we all did.

Its good that he is humble enough to admit he is a rookie and seek advice from our two greatest living managers.  A refreshing change from some of the know it all managers we've had over the last few years.

McCoist and Murty both had the input of Walter and failed miserably.  Pedro had the ear of Jose Mourinho and it didn't seem to help him either.  I'm all for Gerrard getting as much input as possible since managing a football team is new to him but if he's going to be a success here it'll be up to him as an individual.

3 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Its good that he is humble enough to admit he is a rookie and seek advice from our two greatest living managers.  A refreshing change from some of the know it all managers we've had over the last few years.

It's not a "refreshing change".  Our previous managers have all had the advice of other managers.  We're just covering old ground.  

"Gerrard also has his former Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish on speed dial although he’s not quite sure he will pick up now, given his allegiances lie on the other side of Glasgow."

When John Barnes was appointed manager of celtic Kenny Dalglish was suppose to proved him with experienced council in a partnership called "the dream team".  Failed miserably as John Barnes had no fucking idea what he was doing.  Surrounding yourself with experienced guys is one thing but ultimately it's down to Gerrard to prove he's got what it takes to manage a team.

16 minutes ago, TMB said:

McCoist and Murty both had the input of Walter and failed miserably.  Pedro had the ear of Jose Mourinho and it didn't seem to help him either.  I'm all for Gerrard getting as much input as possible since managing a football team is new to him but if he's going to be a success here it'll be up to him as an individual.

Jeso ya miserable bastard 

17 minutes ago, Siwel said:

:lol:

It's true.  Pedro said he consulted with Mourinho prior to taking the job.  Once in the job Pedro said he consulted with Mourinho about the direction he was taking and that he was on the right track.  This is what I mean when I say we've heard all these soundbites before but they carry very little substance since so many have failed despite the help.

1.thumb.PNG.2092d56be831a33cdd777ff91e4d899b.PNG2.thumb.PNG.aedb84abcc0021015d1b03df37889467.PNG

I agree with the argument behind the thought process but Walter and co are history now what they can offer in the modern game is very limited,

Advice? Yes certainly. 

What we as a club are at the bones of us? Aye defo.

How to manage and guide a bunch of free agents and loans to win a title and halt the fenians charge then its a no for the simple reason modern football needs modern solutions. Going back over past glories is all good and well but he has to ultimately shoulder the pressure when it gets on top.

Suppose i just dont agree with the public clambering of name dropping past successful managers to try and enhance any position, time for you to grasp it and grasp it quickly or this job will ruin you as a manager mr Gerrard. Make yer own mark. 

3.thumb.PNG.ff9b2cd9d66216a8f0e706521b6ce214.PNG

“I got some brilliant advice this week from Walter,” said Murty. “He is always on tap and was sat in the academy office along the corridor, holding court because his grandsons were in playing in our community programme. “I spent an hour just listening to the maestro talk about football, talk about Rangers, and it is an absolute lesson in itself just listening to the man. That, for me, is as good as having someone else to take the workload away. Just having that time away from the madness to go and talk about football in general with Walter is brilliant.

4.thumb.PNG.0cfa56727f32a9483ef92618324a0d39.PNG

"Barnes added, ‘It is good that I have someone with Kenny’s experience around and, if I need advice, I know he will be there."

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

It's true.  Pedro said he consulted with Mourinho prior to taking the job.  Once in the job Pedro said he consulted with Mourinho about the direction he was taking and that he was on the right track.  This is what I mean when I say we've heard all these soundbites before but they carry very little substance since so many have failed despite the help.

1.thumb.PNG.2092d56be831a33cdd777ff91e4d899b.PNG2.thumb.PNG.aedb84abcc0021015d1b03df37889467.PNG

Aye he spoke to Mourinho on the phone, I thought this was about Gerrard bringing in Walter as an advisor?

10 minutes ago, Boaby Bear said:

I agree with the argument behind the thought process but Walter and co are history now what they can offer in the modern game is very limited,

Advice? Yes certainly. 

How to manage and guide a bunch of free agents and loans to win a title and halt the fenians charge then its a no for the simple reason modern football needs modern solutions. Going back over past glories is all good and well but he has to ultimately shoulder the pressure when it gets on top.

Suppose i just dont agree with the public clambering of name dropping past successful managers to try and enhance any position, time for you to grasp it and grasp it quickly or this job will ruin you as a manager mr Gerrard. Make yer own mark. 

Modern football is yet to reach Scottish football tbh

2 hours ago, Boaby Bear said:

Advice? Yes certainly. 

Agree with this. 

Love Walter but his input now should be purely about traditions and standards. 

Ally McCoist was a fucking shite manager and one of his failings was he tried to be something he was not. Walter Smith. 

Gerrard needs to be his own man. Speak to Walter about the old days by all means. Get a sense of what we are about, although I think he already gets it, but leave his footballing ideas in the past.