A British league?

Will it happen at some point? As a ‘southerner’ of Great Britain and watcher of the EPL and SPL, I can honestly say having a British league would only benefit both the north and the south. Why football fans aren’t making noises to make this happen is something I don’t quite understand. I know Tony Blair was a supporter of the idea, but if the PM at that time couldn’t influence the decision then who can? 

So what exactly is the opposition to a British league? I’ve heard some fans comment on a way travel distances, but seriously GB isn’t that large, do they wonder how the French, Spanish and Italians manage it? 

‘The big clubs in England naturally do not want more completion for their prize money and rights etc, so is it all about these clubs protecting what they have as they would have to agree to the idea?

also the SNP rattling on about ‘independence’ every other week doesn’t exactly lend itself to a stable Britain either.

i want it to happen but I just can’t see any movement for the idea.....

There is no chance of joining the English leagues now there is far to much money involved. But with the way the irn bru cup is going there could be Irish and welsh team's joining. Saying that is there not a couple lower league teams from England in that this year?

No chance of a British League happening but I do like the idea of a British Cup replacing the League Cups.  Giving Scottish, English, Welsh, and Irish, the chance to compete against each other once a season would bring a lot more value than what we have now.

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

No chance of a British League happening but I do like the idea of a British Cup replacing the League Cups.  Giving Scottish, English, Welsh, and Irish, the chance to compete against each other once a season would bring a lot more value than what we have now.

Won't happen. Or if it did, it would only include reserves/youngsters, because what would the prize be?

31 minutes ago, East London Loyal said:

Won't happen. Or if it did, it would only include reserves/youngsters, because what would the prize be?

The prize would be silverware which is all you get from currently winning the League Cups.  I imagine it would appeal to those clubs who never get a shot in Europe which is the majority.  Even from a Rangers or celtic perspective there's the chance of a big game against an English club which brings in the crowds and TV money.  

A UK FA is how it should be.  A stronger national side, stronger domestic game and huge potential revenues.  

People fear change but sometimes change is needed.  Get all this independence shit  in the bin.  

3 hours ago, TMB said:

The prize would be silverware which is all you get from currently winning the League Cups.  I imagine it would appeal to those clubs who never get a shot in Europe which is the majority.  Even from a Rangers or celtic perspective there's the chance of a big game against an English club which brings in the crowds and TV money.  

But each country would have to give up a European Spot. 

On 26/06/2018 at 22:19, roboscot said:

A UK FA is how it should be.  A stronger national side, stronger domestic game and huge potential revenues.  

People fear change but sometimes change is needed.  Get all this independence shit  in the bin.  

That my friend is EXACTLY why it will never happen. This has been talked about and talked about for at least the past 30 years and has never even got close to getting to first base because of the National associations fear that coming under the one umbrella would mean them losing their individual voting rights on the International Football Association Board (IFAB) which controls the laws of International football.

We had David Murray "Guaranteeing" that Rangers would be playing in the English leagues within 10 years, and that was in 1989; we had votes by English clubs about the possibility; we had the idea of a GB Olympic football team idea, yet it's all a pipedream that's  most unlikely to happen in my lifetime, and possibly not in your lifetime either.

On 26/06/2018 at 08:39, BarclayClansmen said:

Will it happen at some point? As a ‘southerner’ of Great Britain and watcher of the EPL and SPL, I can honestly say having a British league would only benefit both the north and the south. Why football fans aren’t making noises to make this happen is something I don’t quite understand. I know Tony Blair was a supporter of the idea, but if the PM at that time couldn’t influence the decision then who can? 

So what exactly is the opposition to a British league? I’ve heard some fans comment on a way travel distances, but seriously GB isn’t that large, do they wonder how the French, Spanish and Italians manage it? 

‘The big clubs in England naturally do not want more completion for their prize money and rights etc, so is it all about these clubs protecting what they have as they would have to agree to the idea?

also the SNP rattling on about ‘independence’ every other week doesn’t exactly lend itself to a stable Britain either.

A british League is so last century, will be a European league if anything . Do you honestly think Arsenal, Man U , Man City, Chelsea, spurs and Liverpool want games against Rangers, hearts and Aberdeen?

8 hours ago, AlCapone said:

A british League is so last century, will be a European league if anything . Do you honestly think Arsenal, Man U , Man City, Chelsea, spurs and Liverpool want games against Rangers, hearts and Aberdeen?

If hearts and Aberdeen made it to the prem in a British league I don’t see what the problem would be? Look at some of the teams ‘they’ have played in the Premier league in recent years. Swansea, Wigan, Reading......

If you earn your right to be there you deserve to be there.

the biggest headache would be deciding how to incorporate Scottish teams into a British league. I don’t think current EPL teams would agree to  any going straight into the prem.

Can never see a European league happening. Champions league is a greatly respected competition as it is, and away travel for fans would be ridiculous.

British league may be unlikely, but if there is no one to make constant noises about it, it will never happen. 

They don’t need us down there. And as for “we would take 20,000 to every away game”, the away allocation even at Old Trafford is what, 3500? Does it matter to Manchester United if that’s 3500 Bears or 3500 Huddersfield fans?

Sure its galling to look at nonentities like Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton etc raking in the Sky money and spending £20m on players, that’s the reward they get for making it to the top division and spending a couple of years as cannon fodder for the teams that the viewers pay their Sky subscriptions to watch.

If anything I still see a two-tier European set up emerging, with the real big hitters who already dominate the CL in a top division, and the big clubs from the smaller countries like us, them, Ajax, Benfica etc in the second division but with promotion and relegation as an incentive. 

6 hours ago, BarclayClansmen said:

If hearts and Aberdeen made it to the prem in a British league I don’t see what the problem would be? Look at some of the teams ‘they’ have played in the Premier league in recent years. Swansea, Wigan, Reading......

If you earn your right to be there you deserve to be there.

the biggest headache would be deciding how to incorporate Scottish teams into a British league. I don’t think current EPL teams would agree to  any going straight into the prem.

Can never see a European league happening. Champions league is a greatly respected competition as it is, and away travel for fans would be ridiculous.

British league may be unlikely, but if there is no one to make constant noises about it, it will never happen. 

The point I’m making is why would they go to all the bother to let in teams that wouldn’t make the league any better? If there’s going to be change it will involve the top clubs in Europe, British league has little appeal 

On 26/06/2018 at 08:39, BarclayClansmen said:

also the SNP rattling on about ‘independence’ every other hour doesn’t exactly lend itself to a stable Britain either.

I had to amend that for factual accuracy.