Unpopular Opinions When It Comes To Rangers?

10 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

Billy Dodds and Kris Boyd had similar or better goal returns for a fraction of the fee we paid for Flo.  He was monumental waste of money and a perfect example of Murray’s hubris.

When you take into account the transfer fee we received for him, it was approximately net spend of £6 million give or take (excluding wages obviously). At that time I don't think that is too bad.

Dodds and Boyd were great value, as were Rod Wallace, Prso, Novo, and even guys like Stevie Thompson. But for everyone one of them we have also bought a lot of shite. The difference and risks are obvious though. If these type of signings don't work out, financially you won't notice it as much. Sometimes you get great value sometimes you don't. Obviously the more you spend, the higher the expectations become. We rolled the dice with Flo. It didn't work out as we'd have liked but he had a better than 1 in 2 goal ratio so for around that period in our history I don't think he was the big flop many claim him to be. I'm not for one second claiming he was great value for money. I think he was good for us, nothing more nothing less. 

8 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

When you take into account the transfer fee we received for him, it was approximately net spend of £6 million give or take (excluding wages obviously). At that time I don't think that is too bad.

Dodds and Boyd were great value, as were Rod Wallace, Prso, Novo, and even guys like Stevie Thompson. But for everyone one of them we have also bought a lot of shite. The difference and risks are obvious though. If these type of signings don't work out, financially you won't notice it as much. Sometimes you get great value sometimes you don't. Obviously the more you spend, the higher the expectations become. We rolled the dice with Flo. It didn't work out as we'd have liked but he had a better than 1 in 2 goal ratio so for around that period in our history I don't think he was the big flop many claim him to be. I'm not for one second claiming he was great value for money. I think he was good for us, nothing more nothing less. 

I can’t agree.  The last 6 years has saw us paying the price for reckless, nonsensical, ego driven signings like Flo.  He was actually good for us and we got a chunk back but to claim a net spend of around £6m isn’t too bad considering everything that has happened since i just can’t agree with.

5 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

I can’t agree.  The last 6 years has saw us paying the price for reckless, nonsensical, ego driven signings like Flo.  He was actually good for us and we got a chunk back but to claim a net spend of around £6m isn’t too bad considering everything that has happened since i just can’t agree with.

On paper the net spend doesn't look great however that just happened to be the market at the time we were living in.

The market today is mental and there is very little value out there today. Everyone is over spending and getting very little return. If we wanted to succeed big during that period we were always going to overpay. Murray of course was pretty reckless at times but equally on the other side of it other teams always knew they could squeeze more money out of us.

Guess we'll have agree to disagree on this one.

5 hours ago, tm91 said:

Mark Hateley was twice the player McCoist was.

Granted, I obviously didn't see them live... but... Davie Cooper and Jim Baxter might have been the greatest natural talents this country has ever produced, but neither made the most of their talents at all. Harry Davis once said that Baxter let the Rangers fans down - might be too harsh but hard to say he's wrong.

I will join you on the unpopular bench for your first point and also a wee bit for half of your second.

I saw Cooper dozens and dozens of times and he only turned up about one game in three or four. There was a reason John Robertson was preferred for Scotland and Walters was brought to Rangers.

However (and it is a fucking huge however) when Davie did turn up, it was just an absolute joy to behold. I saw him do some cruel, cruel things to players in other teams that must have left them feeling like giving up the game. He was just playing at a level they didn't understand.

On 29/06/2018 at 15:14, K.A.I said:

This.

Some of mine ..

'The Rangers' is the best name for us.
The 5-stars on our strip are great and should stay - to remove them would play into the 'new club' narrative.
Some of our fans wank over patently obvious shite to medicore players - Rossiter, Docherty, Barjonas, Taverneir, Jack etc.
Gerrard is a big name footballer only, he's done nothing in management. 
Bocanegra, Goian, Aluko and Davis were every bit as bad as the rest in 2012.
Ally McCoist should never be allowed to step foot inside Ibrox again as a guest or in an employment capacity.
Richard Gough is a prick, as is Souness for their Rangers are dead and Rangers need to take their medicine comments from 2012 - yet they were revered by us.
I'd rather Ibrox was silent than listen to Blue Guide, Ultra's, ole ole, cmon Rangers geez a goal, Blue Sea Of Ibrox, Penny Arcade tripe. Atmosphere is over-rated when it's an atmosphere like that - nothing is better.
At the moment the SPFL is utter dog shit and we should not be looking at any players from it.

There will be loads more.

Great post mate. When we wur on our arses and put in the 3rd division where was all these ex players.

Same dnt like these daft ultra songs ole ole. Lets get bk to our traditional song book. I mind when i first got my season tick the crowd seemed different from some tossers i see at ibrox now. Ppl not even watching the game laughing leaving the stadium after a defeat. Some guys singing the wrong words for the sash. Guy giving u looks for singing the traditional songs.

Also we need to stop signing these wee daft youth celtic fans. Also we signed a cunt who was in the celtic end to watch them win a treble. 

We need to man up as a club to all these bastards who have it in fof us. Tht sfa mob. 

57 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

There should have been a major clearout after 8 in a row to keep it fresh.

Smith should never announced he was leaving (the first time) before the end of the season. 

Nike strips were pish compared with the adidas stuff

I'd be surprised if most people don't agree with that one tbf

20 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Gascoigne, Butcher, Laudrup, Hateley and possibly Davie Cooper shouldn’t be in the Greatest XI.

I have to take issue with this mate. This utterly beautiful man was worth the entrance fee on his own most weeks. Granted he would go missing on occasion but for me one of the best very best players to ever wear our shirt. Absolutely adored him. 

25 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I have to take issue with this mate. This utterly beautiful man was worth the entrance fee on his own most weeks. Granted he would go missing on occasion but for me one of the best very best players to ever wear our shirt. Absolutely adored him. 

Aye, IMO, and granted I was fairly young, but Laudrup is the best player to have graced not only Rangers but the whole of Scottish football. The man was a fuckin’ phenomenon at times. 

41 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

And don’t get me started on Cooper loved him so much I named my child after him. 

17492331-1FC2-4AE0-A42E-C9587A9C3BA1.jpeg

9 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ricksen wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is now if he wasn't ill.

Harsh one but true IMO.

This. There has definetely been some revisionist history with Ricksen. I liked him as a player but I can think of one superb season he had and that was 04-05. Even when we won 5 trophies in a row under Eck I can't remember him being a standout compared to guys like Ferguson, de Boer, Lovenkrands etc. And I certainly can't remember him standing out (positively) when we were bad.

42 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

This. There has definetely been some revisionist history with Ricksen. I liked him as a player but I can think of one superb season he had and that was 04-05. Even when we won 5 trophies in a row under Eck I can't remember him being a standout compared to guys like Ferguson, de Boer, Lovenkrands etc. And I certainly can't remember him standing out (positively) when we were bad.

For me he should never have pulled a Rangers jersey on after getting hooked against them in the 6-2 game at the san giro

On 29/06/2018 at 14:55, ForeverAndEver said:

Smith went with the right approach in the Uefa Cup final.

Windass is actually a good player, as is Forrester.

The use of bear doesn't bother me, bearette though should never be used.

Boyd doesn't bother me at all

We lost 2-0 and embarrassed ourselves in front of everyone by not even attempting to win a final.

So no, not the right approach. 

You can only say being that negative is the "right approach" if you win. 

It was humiliating watching a team in a final scared to leave their own half.

1 hour ago, Grundy said:

Whoever said that Davie Cooper shouldn't be in our greatest 11 needs an eye test or memory jolt. Fud.

I said possibly you fud.

There’s a case to be made that Alan Morton is the greatest left winger in our history. 

More games, more goals, more titles and widely regarded as the outstanding left winger in the world at the time.

But it’s completely academic because the only people who could have judged between them are long since dead.