Unpopular Opinions When It Comes To Rangers?

14 hours ago, tm91 said:

Actually, that's a fair shout about Alan Morton. By all accounts if we had a Mount Rushmore of the greatest players (in terms of pure talent) to ever play for Rangers, he'd probably be on it (with Cooper, Baxter and Laudrup?) if even half the reports of his ability are true, and yet he's seemingly treated as nothing more than a footnote in our history. One of the good things about the past decade or so has been the renewed emphasis on the McNeil Brothers, Campbell, McBeath, Vallance etc. I hope in time there's another renewed analysis of some of the great players of the Struth era.

If you based our greatest eleven just on stats and had some foolproof way of comparing players across eras, it's entirely possible that not many recent players from the past few decades would even get in. One would assume the Iron Curtain, Dave Meiklejohn, Alan Morton, Bob McPhail etc. would all be there for starters.

RC Hamilton in that list too ,  apparently a consitant long shot taker and good goal per game ratio and add that he has the record 30 old firm goals 

9 hours ago, gsa said:

How do you know? 

Everyone I went to Manchester with was gutted we didn't even try to win it. 

It was pathetic effort for a once in a lifetime final. 

I know via the same arrogance of certainty that you know we didn’t try to win it.

On 29/06/2018 at 15:44, Getstiffed said:

No denying he was able to outspend his competition but there's plenty of managers out there that have almost unlimited funds and don't ever get it right and the ones that do never get anywhere near doing it over 14 seasons.

I would also add that as Scotland manager he didn't have a cheque book and managed to take what was ultimately a very average group of players (in comparison to the players they took on over his time in charge) and turn them into a team I would argue no-one in world football would be delighted to be drawn against.

I think Smith was a cheque book manager in his first spell with us but I think he came back to us a far better manager in his second spell. I know that sounds odd saying that because he still spent a decent amount of money in summer 08 but after that he went two years without signing a permanent player and ultimately he won 6 trophies to celtic’s 2 in those three seasons.

23 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

Walter cost us two trebles in his second spell with a cowardly team selection away to Dundee United (league was already won) and tactics against a 10 men taig team. 

He also pulled off some incredible tactics and bits of man management to win us games we had no right in winning. 9 men v st mirren would never have been won without Walter Smith in the dugout as a prime example. 

He had bad days but who hasn't in any line of work and smiths case I think the good far outweighed the bad.

if it wasn't for smith there is a good chance they could be sitting on far more than 7 in a row right now.

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Steven Davis was/is massively overrated.

The whole he's a 'Rangers fan knows what it means to play for us' when it comes to signing players means nothing, Steven Davis a prime example of this and thankfully many of our fans after 2012 started to grasp it was a load of nonsense. Sadly many still fall into the trap!

Majority of our fans can't judge a players ability at all, whilst many base an opinion via youtube videos, a couple of games against us or the odd game on tv.

EPL/Championship is overrated and not a valid base for signing a player. No wonder many are so disappointment when the likes of Dorrans flop up here.

The 'will instantly be the best player in Scotland' quotes when linked to players is cringe-worthy.

King is a fraud(maybe not as unpopular now, sadly many fans still trust this wanker)

McCoist is not a Ranges legend anymore.

Wrong thread mate, this unpopular not popular opinions ? 

7 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Steven Davis was/is massively overrated.

The whole he's a 'Rangers fan knows what it means to play for us' when it comes to signing players means nothing, Steven Davis a prime example of this and thankfully many of our fans after 2012 started to grasp it was a load of nonsense. Sadly many still fall into the trap!

Majority of our fans can't judge a players ability at all, whilst many base an opinion via youtube videos, a couple of games against us or the odd game on tv.

EPL/Championship is overrated and not a valid base for signing a player. No wonder many are so disappointment when the likes of Dorrans flop up here.

The 'will instantly be the best player in Scotland' quotes when linked to players is cringe-worthy.

King is a fraud(maybe not as unpopular now, sadly many fans still trust this wanker)

McCoist is not a Ranges legend anymore.

Your opinion of Davis being over rated seems to be because of his questionable loyalty rather than his actual ability . 

Billy Dodds and Steven Thompson although pricks in the media were very good servents for us and didn’t get enough game time. 

Papac and hemdani were pish. 

Mccoist should not be allowed near ibrox ever again. 

The matchday experience at ibrox is a shambles and beyond lazy. 

Rangers lack of PR and communication is beyond a joke. Although the media team in recent times have improved (is this just because of the interest in Stevie G ?)