Andy Murray withdraws from Wimbledon

jcb

10 minutes ago, don logan said:

As he resides in the South of England, he wouldn't have.

I'm sure he was still able to vote through having an address up here.

At the very least he came out in favour of it and that's enough for me. He's another vile little traitor like Connery.

Went back found this just one of plenty of newspaper reports from the time....

Andy Murray has no regrets over support for Scottish independence

• But British No1 says tweet was ‘not really in my character’ 
• Murray wants to move on after receiving online abuse 
• Murray’s tweet added to sport’s list of political gestures

Press Association

Tue 23 Sep 2014 09.40 BSTLast modified on Thu 1 Jun 2017 16.47 BST

This article is over 3 years old

Shares

Comments

Andy Murray has acknowledged that his tweet in support of Scottish independence was ‘not really in my character’. Photograph: Tim Clayton/Corbis

Andy Murray has said he has no regrets about declaring his support for a Yes vote on the eve of the Scottish independence referendum but does have reservations about the way he did it.

The British No1 made a late intervention into the debate by posting a supportive message on Twitter just hours before the polls opened last Thursday.

The 27-year-old Scot told his followers: “Huge day for Scotland today! no campaign negativity last few days totally swayed my view on it. excited to see the outcome. lets do this!”

Independence was ultimately rejected by a margin of 55%to 45%.

Advertisement

Asked if he had any regrets about sending the tweet, Murray told the BBC: “I don’t regret giving an opinion. I think everyone should be allowed that. The way I did it, yeah, it wasn’t something I would do again.

“I think it was a very emotional day for a lot of Scottish people and the whole country and the whole of the UK, it was a big day.

“The way it was worded, the way I sent it, that’s not really in my character and I don’t normally do stuff like that.”

Murray was subjected to online abuse after posting the message on the social media site.

Someone by the name of Harry S who tweets as @sportingharry wrote: “Wish u had been killed at Dunblane, you miserable anti-British hypocritical little git. Your life will be a misery from now on.”

The Recap: sign up for the best of the Guardian's sport coverage

Read more

Murray did not have a vote as he does not live in Scotland. The 2013 Wimbledon champion had been quizzed on the issue previously but dodged the question, although in an interview in June he criticised the Scottish first minister Alex Salmond for waving the country’s flag at the tournament last year.

In 2006, he courted controversy when he said he would support “anyone but England” in the World Cup.

Last month he told the Guardian that he did not think it looked likely the result would be a Yes, but he added that his preference would be to represent Scotland if the country became independent.

He added that he did not like making his views on politics known as previous comments had “caused me a headache ... and a lot of abuse”.

The tennis player was among a string of celebrities to be targeted online over their stance on the independence referendum.

Famous people who urged Scots to stay in the UK such as David Bowie and JK Rowling found themselves the subject of online abuse from pro-independence supporters.