Siwel

Jake Cooper (Millwall)

I'm delighted we've upped the bid.  This lad sounds really promising.  Hopefully we get him this time.

3 young CBs with good potential and possible large sell on value in a year or 2 is the right way to go. 

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

I'm delighted we've upped the bid.  This lad sounds really promising.  Hopefully we get him this time.

Think we'll get him eventually regardless but it'll take transfer request probably. Then that'll mean they don't need pay a loyalty payment should he have on in his contract.

Just had another look at the Millwall forum, none of them want him to go for £3m and look like they'll be raging if he does. All saying about £5-8m is what they expect and think he'll eventually be a Premier League player. But they also think their board are the type to accept a lower offer. Think this would be a very good signing if we get him for £3m.

They all keep saying how we're skint and probably want to pay it all in drips and drabs. Hope we get him. 

• Like 1

I'd be delighted with this.

Would love us to get rid of more players and our squad could look very decent. 

• Like 2

Their highest ever fee received was around £3m.

I'd imagine the club will be more realistic than the fans when it comes to valuations. 

Glad to see we've upped the bid.

3 big powerful cbs will do me just fine.

Nothing wrong with having 3 good CBs for Rotation just in case Katic has problems adapting or Goldson has some fitness issues again this guy seems more than good enough for us. A back 3 of them would be good too and certainly wouldn’t get bullied.

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

If it goes through for the 3million then credit must go to mark Allan and the board 8million plus on 3 cbs is going along way to getting shit sorted imo

Not really. It's literally 1/3 of our problems sorted (the defence) we are still way short of quality in central midfield and attacking options - it would be irresponsible and unforgivable if we spent all our money in one area of the park and leave the other 2 areas lacking in the quality needed.

What's everyone's thoughts if this guy signs? we must be playing 3 at the back? which I like the sound of, but where does that leave Flanagan and Taverneir? if they play them wingers then where does that leave Murphy, Candaies?

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Not really. It's literally 1/3 of our problems sorted (the defence) we are still way short of quality in central midfield and attacking options - it would be irresponsible and unforgivable if we spent all our money in one area of the park and leave the other 2 areas lacking in the quality needed.

What's everyone's thoughts if this guy signs? we must be playing 3 at the back? which I like the sound of, but where does that leave Flanagan and Taverneir? if they play them wingers then where does that leave Murphy, Candaies?

I’d rather have that problem then the problem from last season of having no one on the bench.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It leaves us with plenty of options. 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It'll still be 4 at the back. They've played 4-3-3 in the two friendlys.

It'll just give us the option of playing 3 when we need to. He has said he'll change system in some games

Looks a decent prospect..

Any money left should be spent on a proper number 10 who has that bit of creativity to open up packed defences..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I’d rather have that problem then the problem from last season of having no one on the bench.

Absolutely, but at the expense of not improving other key areas now the defence looks to have been sorted? remember it was only a couple of weeks ago you agreed with me when I said we shouldn't be spending 3-million on Bartley now we've Goldson and Katic when other areas need strengthened.

12 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

It leaves us with plenty of options. 

It does - in defence. 

7 minutes ago, PRW. said:

It'll still be 4 at the back. They've played 4-3-3 in the two friendlys.

It'll just give us the option of playing 3 when we need to. He has said he'll change system in some games

I do like the idea of having flexible options in defence for different games. As I said above, I just don't want it to leave us short in other areas now we've pumped solid money into the defence if this guy signs for 3 million.

24 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

We do lack some quality in the forward areas I'd agree but letting in stupid goals cost us a go at the title.. 

Millwall fans keep talking down our bids and calling us skint.  What they new to remember is that £3m will be the most they've ever sold a player for.  There's also the issue of the players wages and he's probably on £3k/week at Millwall we can significantly improve that.  Hopefully the player himself makes it clear he wants the move and forces ther hand.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Yes we are short in those areas but to say irresponsible is a bit far. If you look at the best incremental gains it is definitely in improving out defence. Last year 6th best defensive record but highest number of goals. We have limited funds and Gerrard was right to say we need to win more games. 85 points would see us genuinely compete in the last few seasons. Easiest route is by improving the defence as we have enough goals up against what we are facing despite those areas not being great. At 85 points we could lose every single game to celtic and still compete / win the league.

That said I would still like a creative midfielder, right winger and a forward if we do have the funds but if not it can be improved in later windows. 

• Like 2

I don't think we are necessarily lacking if we sign cooper. Our biggest issue last season was defence which will have been addressed with 4 defenders coming in. We scored plenty last season it was a lack of fight in midfield and defence that was the key issue. Coulibaly and arfield could provide the strength and creativity to move forward and put more balls in to our attack with Sadiq hopefully linking well with Morelos. Think we would only bring one more player in after cooper, another striker for competition. Still a few need to clear out but.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

What makes you think if we sign cooper we won’t spend money on attack or midfield?

Do you actually think gerrard isn’t going to know we are lacking quality in midfield and attack,if 99% of Rangers can see it I’m sure someone who has far more football knowledge than any of us will know where we are lacking.

hes getting his defence sorted then will move onto other key areas 

1 hour ago, Laudrup1690 said:

What makes you think if we sign cooper we won’t spend money on attack or midfield?

Do you actually think gerrard isn’t going to know we are lacking quality in midfield and attack,if 99% of Rangers can see it I’m sure someone who has far more football knowledge than any of us will know where we are lacking.

hes getting his defence sorted then will move onto other key areas 

Because I’m assuming we only have so much money to spend and it’s all getting spent in one area 

remember he said he wanted 3 or 4 more in (3 or 4 ago - Flanagan, Coubaily, Sadiq and now Cooper)

1 hour ago, gruggs said:

Yes we are short in those areas but to say irresponsible is a bit far. If you look at the best incremental gains it is definitely in improving out defence. Last year 6th best defensive record but highest number of goals. We have limited funds and Gerrard was right to say we need to win more games. 85 points would see us genuinely compete in the last few seasons. Easiest route is by improving the defence as we have enough goals up against what we are facing despite those areas not being great. At 85 points we could lose every single game to celtic and still compete / win the league.

That said I would still like a creative midfielder, right winger and a forward if we do have the funds but if not it can be improved in later windows. 

If we spend all the money in one area and not the others then it is irresponsible - you can dress it up how you want 

as I said above we said we wanted 3 or 4 more, 3 or 4 ago

if we now move onto more creative midfielders and attackers and spend more money on that quality needed then I’ll get my cock out and happily eat my words 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

If we spend all the money in one area and not the others then it is irresponsible - you can dress it up how you want 

as I said above we said we wanted 3 or 4 more, 3 or 4 ago

if we now move onto more creative midfielders and attackers and spend more money on that quality needed then I’ll get my cock out and happily eat my words 

To be fair mate, if the boy Coulibaly offers us some much need dig in midfield then id imagine we wont be far away in that department. Arfield can operate almost anywhere in there, and for me is a decent step up in quality. Ejaria, youd have to imagine will get games. I’m sure i reaad Katic can play in CDM aswell. Plus Dorrans, Jack, Rossiter, Doherty.... Id only be REALLY suprised if we dont go for another striker. 

On a side note, our squad is becoming huge, theres still alot of dead wood to shift.

Just now, WWTC said:

To be fair mate, if the boy Coulibaly offers us some much need dig in midfield then id imagine we wont be far away in that department. Arfield can operate almost anywhere in there, and for me is a decent step up in quality. Ejaria, youd have to imagine will get games. I’m sure i reaad Katic can play in CDM aswell. Plus Dorrans, Jack, Rossiter, Doherty.... Id only be REALLY suprised if we dont go for another striker. 

On a side note, our squad is becoming huge, theres still alot of dead wood to shift.

Arfield is a good player but Ejaria and Coubaily aren’t the type of top class midfielders in my eyes to take on celtic - we need real quality there I’m willing to put my life on them 2 having a similar effect and no better than Jack, Docherty etc we are still well short middle to front 

I honestly don’t want anyone to misunderstand me, this Cooper is rated I’d rather have him than not and the more good defenders and money spent the better - my point is I don’t want it to be at the expense of other areas that need sorted more now 

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Arfield is a good player but Ejaria and Coubaily aren’t the type of top class midfielders in my eyes to take on celtic - we need real quality there I’m willing to put my life on them 2 having a similar effect and no better than Jack, Docherty etc we are still well short middle to front 

I honestly don’t want anyone to misunderstand me, this Cooper is rated I’d rather have him than not and the more good defenders and money spent the better - my point is I don’t want it to be at the expense of other areas that need sorted more now 

Maybe seeing how many we scored last season he doesn't think that the forward areas need anywhere near the amount of rebuilding that the back does?

2 minutes ago, Geo17 said:

Maybe seeing how many we scored last season he doesn't think that the forward areas need anywhere near the amount of rebuilding that the back does?

The back was always the priority but we scored a pitiful amount against celtic and had a non existent midfield against them - that’s the level we need to aspire to