Siwel

Jake Cooper (Millwall)

For as much as everyone talks about the "Gerrard effect" I've often been wondering if players are actually looking at it more like "come play for a complete rookie manager who has no experience and is probably only there on name alone?" whereas on the other side they would say  "go work for an established Premier League manager who did well at Swansea and almost won the league with a not great Liverpool team, who are a better team with better finances and Champions League football, more chance of winning trophies and more stable off-field setup".

If it's a battle between us and them, then they win. Just the reality. The momentum shift happens when we earn it and we make ourselves the better team and win silverware again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Broxi said:

For as much as everyone talks about the "Gerrard effect" I've often been wondering if players are actually looking at it more like "come play for a complete rookie manager who has no experience and is probably only there on name alone?" whereas on the other side they would say  "go work for an established Premier League manager who did well at Swansea and almost won the league with a not great Liverpool team, who are a better team with better finances and Champions League football, more chance of winning trophies and more stable off-field setup".

If it's a battle between us and them, then they win. Just the reality. The momentum shift happens when we earn it and we make ourselves the better team and win silverware again.

Thats the exact words that ran through the minds of the players who have signed. Especially the ones who said the biggest reason was Gerrard.

• Like 1

Just now, PRW. said:

Thats the exact words that ran through the minds of the players who have signed. Especially the ones who said the biggest reason was Gerrard.

Don't think it's a crazy thought. It's the same thought that most posters on here were saying when he was linked with becoming our manager. As exciting as Gerrard is he is a totally unproven manager. And whether we like him or not Brendan Rodgers is an established manager at a high level with a good pedigree. In purely managerial terms then Rodgers is probably a bigger draw, at this stage, just my opinion. 

26 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Just about every footballer on Earth will play for the club that pays them the most money.  Whenever they sign for a club they big up the manager, fans, and say they want to have success there no matter who it is.  

1 minute ago, Broxi said:

Don't think it's a crazy thought. It's the same thought that most posters on here were saying when he was linked with becoming our manager. As exciting as Gerrard is he is a totally unproven manager. And whether we like him or not Brendan Rodgers is an established manager at a high level with a good pedigree. In purely managerial terms then Rodgers is probably a bigger draw, at this stage, just my opinion. 

If we had more money and could offer players bigger wage packets then we would be the bigger draw.  I honestly think it has fuck all to do with who the manager is.  

Just now, TMB said:

Just about every footballer on Earth will play for the club that pays them the most money.  Whenever they sign for a club they big up the manager, fans, and say they want to have success there no matter who it is.  

Exactly, all these interviews are just buzz phrases and typical stuff. You really think Umar Sadiq came up with "I'm coming to the most successful club in the world" on his own? Nah. Players say Gerrard was the draw because everything in the media and around the club is pushing people to say Gerrard is a massive draw. And now that they're here it's an easy thing to say in an interview when you don't know what else to say. Don't get me wrong, it is partially true as well and maybe he was the biggest draw but he isn't Mourinho.

2 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Rodgers is a good manager, true.

But players clearly don’t have they thoughts running through their mind about Gerrard. Thats based on what the players have actually said, the facts. 

And considering Rodgers is a laughing stock down south, and Gerrard is worshipped. I think the opposite is true. 

Also most people who say Gerrard was a big draw were saying that in response to the question "Was Gerrard a big reason why you chose to come here?". They going to say nah? Nope haha.

And I don't think we've attracted a higher calibre of player with Gerrard than we would have got without. In fact we probably attracted bigger names the last couple of seasons with Barton and Alves. If either of those came this summer we would have said they only came because of Gerrard when they came without him before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Rodgers is a good manager, true.

But players clearly don’t have they thoughts running through their mind about Gerrard. Thats based on what the players have actually said, the facts. 

And considering Rodgers is a laughing stock down south, and Gerrard is worshipped. I think the opposite is true. 

Like I said in my most recent post above though I don't think the Gerrard effect has brought in any better players than we would have got otherwise. I think we would have easily signed every player we have so far without Gerrard. 

• Like 2

Like he's gonna get a game ahead of 50mil rated Boyata. 

• Like 1

Just now, Broxi said:

Like I said in my most recent post above though I don't think the Gerrard effect has brought in any better players than we would have got otherwise. I think we would have easily signed every player we have so far without Gerrard. 

Don’t agree. 

We as a club were nowhere near as attractive due to the past 6 years. Drama after drama. 

Some of these young players, who have played at first team level in Ligue 1 & Serie A, would not be coming to Rangers to develop under Pedro or Murty. Guys like Katic & Coulibaly were basically salivating over SG in their interviews. 

It was reported weeks ago in Nigeria that Sadiq had knocked us back due to wanting to stick it out at Roma. He said similar yesterday, but added after Gerrard called he changed his mind. 

Connor Goldson would not be at Rangers if not for Gerrard either, his first interview makes that clear to me. Guy had options down south & would of been back in the Prem this season or next. 

This doesn’t make them great players or that, I just think Gerrard is very attractive. 

Legend of the game who is admired and worshipped around the world taking his first steps in to management at a massive club with a strong backroom staff team who have all worked at a very high level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Don’t agree. 

We as a club were nowhere near as attractive due to the past 6 years. Drama after drama. 

Some of these young players, who have played at first team level in Ligue 1 & Serie A, would not be coming to Rangers to develop under Pedro or Murty. Guys like Katic & Coulibaly were basically salivating over SG in their interviews. 

It was reported weeks ago in Nigeria that Sadiq had knocked us back due to wanting to stick it out at Roma. He said similar yesterday, but added after Gerrard called he changed his mind. 

Connor Goldson would not be at Rangers if not for Gerrard either, his first interview makes that clear to me. Guy had options down south & would of been back in the Prem this season or next. 

This doesn’t make them great players or that, I just think Gerrard is very attractive. 

Legend of the game who is admired and worshipped around the world taking his first steps in to management at a massive club with a strong backroom staff team who have all worked at a very high level. 

Like I said, whether they worked out or not, Joey Barton and Bruno Alves signings are much more impressive than anyone you just said. I don't see see how Katic or Coulibally wouldn't be here, they absolutely would be. Katic is a nobody who was playing for a nobody club, who was a record fee for his club. Not seen this Sadiq stuff you're talking about but I still think he'd be here. Goldson too, he was a sub at Brighton. 

I'm not saying Gerrard isn't a draw to a lot of players, but I don't think he's a "fuck me I have to go play under him" kind of attraction. Some players won't be as impressed as others.

10 hours ago, TMB said:

Meet the release clause and make him a Rangers player.  After that we should all sign up to that Millwall forum and call them 'slags'.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I lost count of the amount of players that said Ally McCoist persuaded them to sign - it means little to me tbh but I do like the enhanced profile and publicity Gerrard gives the club at a time we need it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Broxi said:

Exactly, all these interviews are just buzz phrases and typical stuff. You really think Umar Sadiq came up with "I'm coming to the most successful club in the world" on his own? Nah. Players say Gerrard was the draw because everything in the media and around the club is pushing people to say Gerrard is a massive draw. And now that they're here it's an easy thing to say in an interview when you don't know what else to say. Don't get me wrong, it is partially true as well and maybe he was the biggest draw but he isn't Mourinho.

Most players say what their agent tells them to say. 

6 hours ago, Broxi said:

Like I said, whether they worked out or not, Joey Barton and Bruno Alves signings are much more impressive than anyone you just said. I don't see see how Katic or Coulibally wouldn't be here, they absolutely would be. Katic is a nobody who was playing for a nobody club, who was a record fee for his club. Not seen this Sadiq stuff you're talking about but I still think he'd be here. Goldson too, he was a sub at Brighton. 

I'm not saying Gerrard isn't a draw to a lot of players, but I don't think he's a "fuck me I have to go play under him" kind of attraction. Some players won't be as impressed as others.

Barton & Alves were almost done. It wasn’t much of a coup. 

Theres no point debating it with you if ye just downright ignore what the players say :lol: 

Theres no danger Goldson would be here. 

• Like 2

I personally don’t think Gerrard has made that much of a difference in terms of the quality that has been brought in , maybe Goldson was convinced by him but I still think he’s the level of player we could get regardless or someone similar.

For example looking at strikers we are way off the taigs still.

• Like 1

I think “the Gerrard effect” is massively over stated tbh. I haven’t seen Derby fans constantly talking about “the Lampard effect” even though they have appointed a manager who is every bit as high profile as Gerrard is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broxi said:

A legend of the game making his first steps in management would be a great draw for attracting players imo.

• Like 4

TMB is  sad wee cunt tbh ,signing up to another teams forum and talking about ex pape players 

The chance to connect with Mr Gerrard, a Liverpool and England great, someone who's working towards being Liverpool manager one day, someone that you might develop a bond with and who might take you to potentially the highest level in the EPL and European football. Or to be managed by 'Brendan' who failed down south, had a free run up here, and who has so utterly peaked in his career that the slippery slope is beckoning him with increasing urgency.

If I was a talented young footballer full of self-belief and looking for the big chance...

59 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think “the Gerrard effect” is massively over stated tbh. I haven’t seen Derby fans constantly talking about “the Lampard effect” even though they have appointed a manager who is every bit as high profile as Gerrard is.

They do have the ‘trickle down of mental EPL money’ effect though. When you have ridiculous money you tend to think you’re above your station because you attracted better players more easily. 

Like it or not, the appointment of a high profile manager brings profile to us (given there’s not much else to be positive about in scotland in a footballing sense). Not sure that nesecarily translates into signing people we couldn’t beforehand, but it does us no harm. 

And Gerrard was more high profile for me, despite Lampard having a bigger trophy cabinet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bears said:

The chance to connect with Mr Gerrard, a Liverpool and England great, someone who's working towards being Liverpool manager one day, someone that you might develop a bond with and who might take you to potentially the highest level in the EPL and European football. Or to be managed by 'Brendan' who failed down south, had a free run up here, and who has so utterly peaked in his career that the slippery slope is beckoning him with increasing urgency.

If I was a talented young footballer full of self-belief and looking for the big chance...

Rodgers makes my skin crawl, and I’m raging at how easy a run we’ve given him, and I think he’ll crumble if we put him under pressure - but I think you’re really looking at him with blue tinted specs.